Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo what's the next project at taronga?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by boof, 5 Jun 2009.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In just over ten years Taronga has opened some great new exhibits and has also carried out some major renovations. A quick list just off the top of my head includes:

• creatures of the Wollemi, Backyard to Bush, Asian Rainforest, Great Southern Oceans, Gung's Bull paddock, The new multi storey carpark and they are currently working on a new entrance precinct aswell as a new koala encounter area.
    Has any plans been released about what the zoo intends to do after the new entrance is completed?
    Does anyone know when the new entrance is due to be completed?
    It seems to me that there has been a worksite at the zoo for the last fifteen years. They are, in my opinion, building a better zoo.

2. thorney_devil

thorney_devil Well-Known Member

I think plans should be revealed in the coming months with Guy Cooper set to retire later in the year, a new fresh CEO could draw some new ideas and outlines for the future of Taronga & Western Plains...

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great list Boof! I wonder how much Taronga has spent on the redevelopment of the zoo, as the total is probably into the hundreds of millions of dollars. I've said it before, but there are not that many zoos on Earth that have invested as heavily over the past 15 years and Sydney now has a terrific (but hugely expensive!) zoo.

4. torie

torie Well-Known Member

the front entrance work is going to start really soon. they have finished the temp entrance facility which is going to be through the education center with guest entering the zoo at the koala walkabout area. this temp entrance is going to be in use this holidays.

5. boof

You could add the free flight bird show to the list. It has been around for 12 years this year. I am sure I have missed a heap of others.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The gorilla encloure was completed a little over ten years ago. Other construction work included the Conservation Lecture Theatre and Amazonia, completely rebuilding the Cablecar, adding an extra level to the Education Centre, sealing the staff carpark, and upgrades to the Shitpits.
    Going back to around 15 years we also have Serpentaria, the Orang exhibit, Snow Leopards and the Bird Show.
    Apart from the new Entry Precinct, the only other plans I know of are for the extension of the Gorillas (when funds are available).

:p

Hix

7. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought the Chimp exhibit was to get a major overhaul?

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hix,

Are the Shitpits what they sound like?

Or is that an "in" word for part of the zoo that the public might know by another name?:confused:

9. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

@Red Uakari - maybe it is, but I haven't heard about it.

@Steve Robinson - they are exactly what they sound like. Taronga's animals produce a lot of waste - ask Chris about them!

:p

Hix

10. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This extension has been talked about since the completion of the exhibit!
    Just never been a priority.!!!!!!!!!!!

11. boof

It may not have been a priority due to the limited space and because of the other projects that have been taking place. With the recent demolition of the old seal theatre and penguin pool, they have the space to expand now. It could turn into a great exhibit.

12. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

The gorilla exhibit may happen after the chimp exhibit upgrade, everything has somewhat slowed down due to elephant being due any time now so theres been some slowing in movement.

13. boof

A happy and healthy baby elephant should, hopefully, see a great jump in attendance.

Do you know what is planned for the chimps?

14. Danale

Danale Well-Known Member

chimps

exhibit is going to be divided in half.... (not exaclty in half - but two areas) and one area will have the moat filled in to make more grouond surface area and be covered (like a BIG bird aviary) and have a glass front, and the animals will be able to see, smell - but not really touch - bewteen groups through like a thin mesh type material. and the off display facility will be expanded and design changed.

15. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you refering to the gorilla or chimp enclosure?

16. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

that would be the chimp exhibit

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

does this mean nowadays the Chimpanzees can't be kept in one large group anymore? When I went there they had one very large group and it was the best Chimp exhibit I had seen anywhere at that time.

I can see why they would upgrade the exhibit but not why they should split it into two- unless the Chimpanzees already have to be kept in more than one group now?

An extension to the Gorilla exhibit would be a huge improvement- it has never been big enough for the group ever since they imported them, in my opinion.

18. torie

torie Well-Known Member

the plan is to keep the group as one for as long as possible but with the current dominant male getting older and the way the family groups are structured it is possible that in the next say 5 to 10 years it wont be possible for the group to live as one and the zoo just wants to be prepared if this situation does arise.

19. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Apparently the group is currently nineteen strong and there are 3 big males vying for leadership, each with his own support faction. (Today's newspaper compares them to the Labor party, except the chimps are more intelligent.) The chimps are going to be moved into the orang utan enclosure for up to 18 months while their own area is upgraded. Orangs will be off exhibit.

As the orang exhibit is much smaller in area, is it possible that the chimp group will be split and only part of the original group on display at a time?

20. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

i know artists renderings submitted with applications rarely reflect what the project will actually look like.

but, after scanning through all the documents, i seems this upgrade is more about functionality than beautification - and thus will be more aesthetically in line with the the bull elephant barn those god aweful brick walls are likely to remain as is.

http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/files/30777/Plans 11.pdf

pity, since from a purely aesthetics standpoint - all this exhibit has ever needed is a cheap "africanisation" refurb.

- render the brick walls in earthy ochre tone.

- new african plantings in both visitor and chimp areas.

- refubish/replace the visitor shelters and barriers with something a little more rustic and indicative of an african village.

this renovation, whilst necessary looks like its heading in a different direction, building on the current architecture and style of the exhibit rather than taking an opportunity to improve apon it