Join our zoo community

What's the worst animal-related smell you've ever experienced at work?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zlyssa2, 16 Dec 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any snake with amoeba. Alive or dead, the smell just stings in your nose like you just got stabbed by two knifes in your nose.

2. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

I haven't heard of that before! What's a "snake with amoeba," you mean a parasitic microorganism type of thing? What causes the smell? Is it the poop or something else?

Speaking of snakes...anyone ever experienced "Snake musk" which they use in self defense?

3. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, its parasitic. The smell Comes from the organs inside, which you van also smell on the outside. And, also the poop, which is more blood than poop.

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I did, in fact it was my first snake ever and I was extremely jealous to find such treasure. Of course I was a kid. It was a viperine snake (Natrix maura), famous by their smelly defense. I caught it by the tail just in time for avoid it disappearing quickly through the structure of a water seepage. Of course the snake proceeded to urinate (?) in my hand inmediately.

5. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Worked with sea lions, but they poop in the water, so you don't have contact with it.

By far the worst is skunk spray. Surprised that hasn't been mentioned here yet.

6. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Yikes, sounds nasty! No experience with the musk though? I've also heard their "regurge" really stinks...

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  7. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Haha ick! The musk doesn't smell like urine though, does it? I thought musk was supposed to be a lot worse. Did it just smell like urine, or something else?

8. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Oh true! I had forgotten about skunk spray, I guess most others did too haha. I didn't think that was something most people really experience since I figured most skunks at zoos are descented? Have you actually been sprayed then, point-blank? What's that like? I've only smelled it in the car at a distance and it's never bothered me, but I'm guessing up close is different?

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

It was not so bad. If you caught a common wall gecko that defecated as defense in your hand (I caught tons of them since they are very common in my garden), you will notice that the viperine snake have a very similar odour, just much more intense smell.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  10. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Haha the musk smelled like gecko poop? I've never heard of that xD

11. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

I just volunteered with big cats and was surprised by how little they smelled.

12. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Not exactly work, but I am a hospital patient three times a week every week. There are four of us in the ward, always the same four until someone dies, and since late November we have had this old guy who always asks for a bedpan. Once the curtains have gone around the noises and smell are like something you would expect in a zoo. The two ladies in the ward, along with myself, have begun referring to him as Zooboy when he is not there. :eek:

13. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

skunk, gorilla, maned wolf, binturong

14. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Huh, so his poop smells like that of an animal? What's the difference between human poop smell and generic "animal poop" smell? xD

15. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Twice, by California Kingsnakes. Pretty pungent, but didn't get large amounts either time. But the hands sure smell for some time after.

Vulture vomit ranks pretty well up there too in terms of smell.

16. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Nothing, man is an animal...

Kakapo likes this.
  17. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

But animals are so nice!

18. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

What would you describe the musk as smelling like?

And I've heard of vulture puke! How much worse is it than human puke?

19. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure how to describe it... Kind of smells like skunk, but not quite the same. Little more earthy and feces is the best I got.

Far as vulture vomit, depends on a couple of factors in my opinion. Mainly what the food was and how much. Though I consider vulture to generally be worse in smell potency. (Also, only speaking from experience with one species, Turkey Vulture.) Last occurrence I recall was the vulture regurgitated a reasonably sized amount of beef heart that had been about a 1/3 digested. I didn't realize it had even happened till suddenly the smell hit me, and it was pretty bad. The exhibit is fully open air, but even so it was pretty close on my tolerance, and I'm generally not too affected by bad smells. After a meal of rodents I think the smell is somewhat worse.

20. zlyssa2

zlyssa2 Active Member

Ah ok. But it's definitely worse than human vomit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.