Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo What's wrong with Twycross Zoo?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shere_Khan, 24 Jun 2013.

1. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

Hi folks,
    I have been monitoring the UK zoo job listing sites for interest's sake, and noticed that Twycross seems to frequently advertise for jobs, particularly with primates. I realise that they have a large collection, but surely "Deputy Section Head" shouldn't become vacant very often. Does anyone have any inside knowledge (that they are permitted to share) on why this may be the case? Is it truely due to a high turnover of staff, and if so, why? Or is it due to expansion or some other cause?

Curious...

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can't give you any insider knowledge(as I don't have any;) ) but the Zoo went through troubled times until recently with changes in Directorship, sacking of several Elephant staff for alleged misconduct, and assorted other problems.There is no apparent expansion at present, the Zoo seems to be in a static phase though a number of smaller new exhibits/enclosure improvements were made prior to this years' summer season starting. If anything, the numbers of Primates may have dropped slightly in recent months.

3. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

Hi

Several members of the primate keeping staff have been pregnant, a lot of the keepers are younger now and are nothing like the old timers who had no qualifications but could do the job now they have all been to collage or university so they move a round getting different experiences from different places there has been one job at twycross advertised for quite some time now but the person who left will be very hard to replace.