Join our zoo community

What's your favourite Central European zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by HungarianBison, 2 May 2020.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that division of Poland is a tad arbitrary and wouldn't tally with the views of Polish citizens... and not for the first time in history, either!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh, doubtless - I'm primarily going by the "feel" of the various parts of Poland I have visited and which Helly's parents have visited (and I have thus heard accounts of) to work out a rough dividing line, and then surmising that the two "Pomaranian" regions (an area I have not visited) would culturally still have a more Central European feel.

3. CGSwans

I think you've got Krakow in 'Eastern Europe', and it's definitely much more like Prague or Budapest than Kyiv or Moscow. I haven't been to Warsaw but suspect it also takes its cultural cues far more from other Central European countries than Russia or (post WWII) Ukraine.

I'm content referring to Poland as either, because you can split Europe into a binary 'east-west' axis, or go for a more nuanced and useful five or even six way split. But if the latter then I think Poland quite firmly and fully belongs in Central Europe, and 'Eastern Europe' really only applies to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and presumably Moldova in that scheme.

4. TeaLovingDave

Funnily enough those are the two cities which influenced my thoughts - I have not visited Krakow myself, but Helly's parents have and described it as feeling very much "eastern bloc" in a way that Prague, Munich and Berlin did not. That said, I suspect your opinion on the matter may be more accurate.

I have however visited Warsaw, and it definitely felt perceptibly different to Poznan or Wroclaw in "feel" - whether this feel can truly be termed as "Eastern" I do not know.....

I have been given to understand that of the Baltic States, Lithuania also has a definite "Eastern" feel as opposed to a "Northern" feel - though as I have not visited any of the countries one would define as "Northern Europe" I could not comment.

5. CGSwans

This is probably the ambiguous nomenclature I referred to at play. Absolutely, Krakow and Wroclaw feel like 'Eastern bloc' countries insofar as they have the lingering after-effects of choosing a 5-Year Plan over a Marshall Plan. But we're probably far enough beyond 1989 now for culture to matter more than political history.

Haven't been to Lithuania but I suspect this comes down to where you fall on the Polish question, as to whether that feel is 'Eastern' or 'Central'.

6. TeaLovingDave

Oh, Wroclaw totally feels Central European to me - in point of fact it felt closer to Prague and Munich in general "feel" than cities such as Brno and Ostrava did; it is Warsaw that I think feels very much Eastern :)

(For the record, Poznan also felt "Central" to me, albeit to a lesser extent)

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Remember that a good portion of southern Poland used to be part of Czech Republic prior to end WWII. This part certainly feels very much as Central European and not Eastern by personal experience.

8. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're wrong. South-west Poland (Silesia) belonged to Kingdom of Czechia in the late Middle Ages until 1525 when the Czechia lost its independence for the Habsburgs. After Austro-Prussian War of 1740-42 Silesia came under Prussian rule. So in character and style Wrocław is German-Austrian mixture (in spirit more Austrian because after II WW most of the population came from south-eastern Poland (Galicia, earlier part of Austria) taken after the war by Soviets. Poznań and Gdańsk are more Prussian in style, Kraków is Austrian and Warszawa indeed is Eastern Europe city (as a part of former Russia). Histoty of Poland is very complicated
    Again, former cities of K.u.K Monarchy are similar in character and spirit, from Triest in Italy to Lviv in Ukraine. They all tried to be a smaller version of Wien, Budapest or Praha. And this is also visible until today.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  9. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think @Kifaru Bwana was referring to the incorporation of a large part of Lower Silesia into Czechoslovakia in 1919 by the Treaty of St Germain more recently. :)

My favourite zoo in this region is either Vienna or Berlin, but then again I've only visited 5 (although they were all excellent places :))

HungarianBison and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, you are right ... I did.

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wroclaw for me.

But I really hope that your geography and history teachers don't see your posts!

HungarianBison likes this.
  12. Arek

But it was very small part of Silesia and it still belongs to Czechia. Among others it is part of Ostrava region and I don't mind connecting this fragment with the rest of Silesia. Poland would gain an excellent zoo. :D

13. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

DON'T YOU EVEN DARE! :mad::D

14. Arek

I was afraid that some of my Czech friends would'n like my idea.

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This thread is interesting both as a history and geography lesson, I always knew things were complicated but didn't appreciate how much!