Join our zoo community

When Does spring Start For You?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 6 Feb 2015.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

This should be a good one, since we have people everywhere visiting this site. When does spring start for you? Surely you all have some interesting responses.

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It sure felt like spring today. It was 56 degrees. Going to be a rough summer for forest fires with our lack of moisture. :(

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

1st September. Same every year.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In late February here the Skunk Cabbage flowers emerge from the ground (unless the snow is too deep). It is the beginning.....

5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Spring starts at the same time as zoo season starts for me: Late March/at Eastern.

The period before (1. November until late March) I call the "period of suffer", because most zoo animals in my area (Central Europe) are kept indoors then and the weather is cold, grey and rainy.

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have not yet had a Polish spring but apparently it starts late March or early April.

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

South Texas has had a few warm days recently, but it's still consistently cold, much to my dismay.

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hear you. A temperate climate means the difference between our summer and winter isn't quite as stark as in colder regions and the transition isn't as noticeable. I do like when strawberries are in season though.

9. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

Bazinga!

Khakibob

10. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

March -ish for me here in the UK - when the crocus and daffodils start to bloom and the trees start budding - spring has spring for me then!!

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

on the day of the spring equinox.

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I hear a willow warbler singing.

Alan

13. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

When I catch a cute, fat queen bumblebee. It's usually a Carder bee (Bombus agrorum).

14. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

It already has here in Phoenix. :( It's not supposed to until mid March-ish, but when you have several days in a row with the temps in the 80s, it's Spring. We'll probably get one or two more cold snaps, but our winter is pretty much over. I worry, though, about the reptiles in captivity. I was told at a reptile sanctuary that cold makes reptiles tired and if they're out in the open, they could freeze to death and I know my supervisor, who has an adopted tortoise from fish & game (they still own the tortoise, but it's in my supervisor's posession and he takes care of it), gets worried when it gets warm too soon and Sherman comes out of hibernation. So far we've been lucky in that when it's gotten warm too soon and the reptiles start emerging, it hasn't gotten too cold again, but there's always that first time.

15. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Sometimes it will get warm too early, and then freeze again or one notable year it waited until almost February to freeze up. In these cases plants woke up way too early and we ended up with a lot of dead plants. Also, I remember the infamous "winter that wasn't" which was really a disappointment for me because I like snow.

Oh, and Spring starts when the Spring Peepers start peeping, the frogs start making noises I mean, which means that we will not have any more major snowstorms and that we can start planting stuff.

16. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Michigan doesn't have spring. The four seasons we have in Michigan are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Repair.

17. AverageWalrus

AverageWalrus Well-Known Member

Even though it technically starts around March 20th, I usually see it starting around last frost (which is April 9th or 10th for me) , as at this time, I Usually start preparing to start planting and Transplanting

18. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

Huh? Stop yapping. Spring will never start here. Or will it? :confused: Wind chills are -20.

19. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I won't lie, the warm weather is pleasant, but if the forests burn it will smell like a campfire in town and outdoor recreation will be restricted.

20. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Every when I see the first sliders - both in my garden and in the wild - I know spring is in the air !