Join our zoo community

New York Aquarium When Exactly Were the Beluga's Exhibited?

Discussion in 'United States' started by wensleydale, 22 Sep 2014.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

From what year (roughly) to what year were the Belugas there? I'm asking this because when I went there all I saw were the Dolphins (and their fantastic, thoroughly informative show). I was with rather scatterbrained relative who lost the aquarium map, if there was one, and does not share my philosophy of doing a section by section sweep of any zoo/aquarium visited to ensure we see everything.

I don't remember the exact date I was there, but it was roughly three weeks, give or take, prior to 9-11 (a story in itself, ask me about it sometime).

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

It seems the belugas got sent to the Georgia Aquarium in 2007 or so. It seems to be on a breeding loan, so the New York Aquarium might still technically own them. Ceta-base says that NYA has had belugas as early as 1958.

3. dean

dean Well-Known Member

I saw belugas there in May 1980 but sadly I don't still have the photos

4. wensleydale

What part of the Aquarium were they in? Granted they may have been in different places at different times. From what ceta-base says they were there when I went, but obviously they weren't up front or in with the dolphins (the living situations I had seen at Mystic, where most of my cetacean viewing has taken place). Maybe they were off exhibit, because if I had seen them I definitely would have remembered it. Or one of my family members would have.

5. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

The belugas were in two locations from the early 1990s on. They used to be in the large front tank where Glover's reef is now, but for most of the 1990's until they left the belugas were in tanks behind the Aquatheatre. They had a large curved glass window to see them right across from the entrance to the Explore the Shore area. In the early 1990's this tank was at the end of an exhibit for other Hudson River species in a small building alongside the aquatheatre. After the belugas left Stellars sea lions were kept in the tank.

6. wensleydale

So they were near where the dolphin show used to be?

7. bigfoot410

bigfoot410 Well-Known Member

Yes, there were/are several large tanks behind the Aquatheatre (where the dolphins used to be kept)

8. wensleydale

So they were definitely there in August of 2001, I just missed them?

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

They were there until 2007. So.... yes

10. wensleydale

Nuts, now I will have to explain to my relatives that they were there, and that we just missed them.