Join our zoo community

When is the best time to see animals?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MountainBongo, 22 Apr 2012.

1. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I know that cats are only active during the morning and late afternoon, but I don't know about the rest of the animals. Also when is the best time to see forest antelope (kudu, bongo, sititunga)?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When zoos are closed. Most animals are active at dawn, dusk or night. They are inactive during the peak daylight hours - basically the same hours that virtually every zoo is open to the public. For the life of me I do not understand this. Night Safari in Singapore is a brilliant concept. At the least (except in VERY cold climates) I think most zoos should be open from afternoon into the evening. Not only would the animals be more active, but then working people could go to the zoo after work.

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

AZ: The cost of paying the staff would not be reconciled with gate takings. Most people after work either want to go home and relax or have shopping (or other things) to do. Families with kids don't want to take the kids out on a school night.

Also, when Taronga Zoo started NightZoo in the mid 1990's (only over the Summer school holidays) an enormous investment was expended in adding suitable lighting to the pathways.

JBZBongo: for your purposes, the best time to be at the zoo is just after opening. The animals will have recently awoken and been let out of thier night quarters, and usually will have been given something to eat so will be active. It doesn't last long though.

:p

Hix

4. MountainBongo

What animals are the best to see from 12-3?

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Animals that are being fed, or performing in shows.

:p

Hix

6. MountainBongo

Primates? Aren't they active all day?

7. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One could put it this way: There IS a reason why meerkats and small-clawed otters have gotten so popular. (though lots of mongoose species are diurnal, too).

8. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Meerkats/Mongooses have become so popular over the last few years with most collections holding them. It's probably because of 'Compare the Meerkat.com' advert which a lot of the public seem to love!

When it comes to active animals, Lemurs are one which tend to me very active especially at my local zoo. Elephants are quiet active to say they eat, sleep, and in some cases train (Protected or Free contact) - One species which do seem to get the public's eye too is Camels. They are normally quiet active.

When it comes to Cats, 90% of the time they will be sleeping but in some cases like at Blackpool, the male Tiger, Zambar is often pacing.

9. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

Like most Mammals Cats and Dogs are a bit more active when it's cooler. So Cats can spend up to 75% of their time asleep, (50 to 75 is the norm - 90% is a bit high even for a zoo cat that doesn't need to hunt).

If you have any young animals around they are usually a bit more active than their parents as they are play sparring or just exploring the brave new world around them, this can lead to some interesting interactions with the older animals - so Chester Zoo currently has both Tiger & Cheetah cubs (although the little spots are currently off show) and they are active throughout the day when they fancy. I have seen them charging around and playing for several hours both morning & afternoon and I have seen them all snoozy midday so it's often a bit of luck.

Many animals are more active around feeding time and if you know when that is then it's a good time to stick around particularly for more nocturnal animals such as Aardvarks for example.

Like many things getting to know the habits of an animal can help and short of covering yourself in Bovril in order to smell tasty for the carnivores it's a wee bit of pot luck!!

best of luck and enjoy

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is a good time to go in the walk-in aviary or bird house (or even reptile house). Of course it is also a good time to get yourself lunch!

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best time is feeding time :)

Alan

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last edited: 27 Apr 2012