Join our zoo community

Where can I find _______ in the US?

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 15 Mar 2016.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes but M. cataphractus has also been split into two species, one of which has yet to be described.

~Thylo:cool:

2. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just curious, what would they be if they aren't Mecistops sp.? I don't follow croc taxonomy that much so I'm just wondering.

3. ThylacineAlive

Well they would be Mecistops cataphractus, Mecistops sp., or hybrids of the two.

I do believe most of the US population is the first of those, but I'm not sure on all of them. I also believe the European population is currently unknown but believed to be mostly hybrids.

4. jayjds2

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen many of these- never paid them much attention in Kansas City, one was hiding in a bush at San Diego, and Maryland's were off exhibit. With the slender-snouted, dwarf, and Nile splits, as well as the orange cave crocodiles, how many species of crocodile are we looking at?

5. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

I know I read about this, but it managed to slip my mind. I should have realized that you knew better than that, Thylo. Are the determinations of species held being made based on genetics or on known origin of original specimens (or, as is probably most likely, both?)? I haven't seen anything about any morphological distinctions between the two species - doesn't mean there aren't any - anyone know?

6. ThylacineAlive

Well I'd make a point to pay more attention to them. They're cool animals and M. cataphractus is potentially the most endangered crocodile species, though more research is needed.

Not quite sure how many crocodiles we'll end up with by the end of the splits. From what I've heard there are still several species, particularly the Saltwater Crocodile, who quite possibly represent multiple species. At the moment Mecistops represents two species, Osteolaemus represents three, and only Crocodylus suchus has currently been split from C. niloticus. Not sure if other niloticus splits are in the works or not.

This is actually the first I've heard of the "orange cave crocodiles" so I can't really tell you much on that. There are also the "pygmy freshwater crocodiles" in Australia, though I think the current thinking is they're subspecies of C. johnsoni as oppose to full species.

7. jayjds2

Article about the cave crocs, they are quite fascinating:The Orange Cave-Dwelling Crocodiles of Gabon

Back to the point of the thread:
    Is Crocodylus suchus only found at St. Augustine at the moment?
    Does St. Augustine have all three species of Osteolaemus?

8. ThylacineAlive

Thanks for the article.

There are probably more C. suchus elsewhere as I don't think the populations have been entirely DNA tested. I know one of Philadelphia's two animals turned out to be suchus but that animal is no longer on-exhibit.

Afaik St. Augustine's only known animal is, along with most of the captive population, West African Dwarf Crocodile, Osteolaemus sp. (undescribed species). However, they do also have one unknown animal as photographed here:
    http://www.zoochat.com/615/id-wanted-389569/

I've emailed the zoo in the past and they've just said they're testing it but don't know what it is. From talking to those more knowledgeable than me, it's likely either O. osborni or a hybrid.

9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks to all of the information. So far, I have additionally found Assiniboine Park to have P. hastatus and Edmonton Valley & Calgary to have A. jamaicensis. Does anyone know if bulldog bats are at Omaha?

When did they split cataphractus into its own genus? I knew they were considering it, just curious when that officially happened.

10. jayjds2

Any Styan's red pandas (Ailurus fulgens styani) in the US besides at San Diego? I did not get a good look at them when I was there.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

you can look them up here: Diergaarde Blijdorp

12. jayjds2

Thanks, that's a really useful link.

13. ThylacineAlive

I believe they're relatively common. Seen them at the Cincinnati Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and Roger Williams Park Zoo myself. The former two are breeding them.

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Anybody know who still holds aye-ayes besides the DLC? I believe San Diego, Denver, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati still have them. What about San Francisco and Omaha (or other facilities)?

15. jayjds2

Omaha does have them, San Francisco does not. Not sure about Denver (haven't been there) but San Diego, Philadelphia, DLC, and Cincinatti all have them, yes. I assume Denver does because it's all over their website.

16. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Calgary no longer holds A. jamaicensis. After the flood they closed down their nocturnal house, and relocated their bats to Edmonton Valley Zoo.

17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

cape fear serpentarium in Wilmington nc has the former.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  18. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The African forest building at Brookfield zoo.

19. drill

drill Well-Known Member

metro richmond zoo has Indian Flying Foxes in their nocturnal house. Indianapolis zoo has Jamaican fruit bats in their bat house. According to websites, Lubee Bat Conservancy also keeps the species and Memphis zoo's website mentions a type of bulldog bat in their nocturnal house but its not mentioned.

20. drill

drill Well-Known Member

San Diego zoo holds Slender Snouted.