Join our zoo community

Where can I find a great zoo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rolf Johnson, 22 Nov 2018.

?

Where can I find a great zoo?

1. A zoo in Australia

33.3%
  2. A zoo in the Americas

75.0%
  3. a zoo in europe

66.7%
  4. A zoo in Africa

25.0%
  5. A zoo in Asia

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rolf Johnson

Rolf Johnson Member

hey everyone. I’m Rolf and I’m new to zoochat. I literally have NO idea about anything zoowise and I’m putting this poll out here on which zoo should I go check out and tell me what threads and media I should check out as well. Your in charge of me now folks. Where’s a great zoo I can visit?

2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

Well LA zoo is good, but head 90 miles south and go to San Diego Zoo
    and the Safari park.

Mbwamwitu and BigNate like this.
  3. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member

Just go to a zoo that’s AZA accredited. Those are the zoos I only visit. Especially the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center

Mbwamwitu likes this.
  4. J GWDC

J GWDC New Member

What this guy said

5. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat!

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

Lots of good zoos in California! San Diego and LA especially. Monterrey Bay Aquarium and Aquarium of the Pacific are good as well.

7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

I vote everywhere. Basically there are good zoos in all continent. Whether it is famous, it is large..it doesn't matter.

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rolf. I have been to some zoos that I've liked, but a companion hasn't. When I went to zoos as a child, my brother's favourite exhibit was the gift shop, my sister's favourite animals were some of the male keepers and my father's interest in some animals consisted in them being roasted and accompanied by certain vegetables.

I think you need to decide which animals you're most interested in. If you like birds, I think you'd like Walsrode and Jurong. If you want to see a wide range of animals, I suggest a visit to Berlin or some Czech zoos like Prague and Plzen.

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  9. NVP

NVP Well-Known Member

10. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member

I didn't vote in this poll because there are great zoos on all continents (except Antarctica of course)! I'd say the general consensus is that Europe and North America are the 2 best zoo continents, but Australia has some good ones and Asia has the Singapore zoos In North America some of the best zoos include the San Diego Zoo, Omaha Zoo, Bronx Zoo, Miami Zoo and many more. Europe has Chester, Prague, Burger's, the Berlin's and absolutely loads more. Australia's marquee zoo is the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, but some other good ones include the Melbourne Zoo, Perth Zoo and Adelaide Zoo. I'm not too sure about Asia, other than that the multitude of zoos in Singapore (Night Safari, Singapore Zoo, River Safari, S.E.A Aquarium and the Jurong Bird Park) are probably the finest Asia has to offer. I'm not sure enough about African Zoos to comment.

11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Every continent of your poll have many great zoos.Being from Los Angeles I would go directly to Los Angeles zoo, and if you're interested, you can also visit after the La Brea tar pits museum.

By other side, the definition of "a great zoo" will vary a lot depending on your interests. What do you want to see: rare animals, spacious enclosures, historic buildings, a zoo with many interaction of animals, a zoo with many species...? Do you considere aquariums, aviariums and butterfly houses as zoos, or do you only zoos with large animals...?

By the way, welcome to Zoochat :)

Dassie rat likes this.