Join our zoo community

Where can I find a great zoo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rolf Johnson, 22 Nov 2018.

?

Where can I find a great zoo?

1. A zoo in Australia

26.1%
  2. A zoo in the Americas

69.6%
  3. a zoo in europe

60.9%
  4. A zoo in Africa

13.0%
  5. A zoo in Asia

21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't understand that comparison, at all

2. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I understood you to say that you would only visit certain zoos. There are many zoos that you would probably enjoy visiting that would not be on your list and just like watching only one TV channel, you would miss many good shows.

3. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too really don’t understand the Tv comparison, it just doesn’t make any sense. In terms of TV, good shows are spread out between lots of channels, but in zoos almost all the high-quality US zoos are AZA- accredited. Of the 100 best US zoos, I think it’s fair to say at least 97 of them are AZA-accredited. The AZA would be like a channel that has almost all the good shows, sure you might miss 1 or 2 shows on other channels, but really what’s the point in watching them when you have better shows on 1 channel?

TinoPup likes this.
  4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Of all the ones in the USA, there's only a couple that could be worthwhile visits that aren't AZA, like Dugong said. I'm fine with visiting those, I didn't say I exclusively go to AZA establishments. Beyond those few, no, I wouldn't enjoy visiting them, because they usually aren't accredited for a reason, usually things like exhibit size and animal care. The TV comparison implies I only watch one out of hundreds of channels; given there's 200+ AZA zoos and aquariums...

Btw welcome Rolf ;)

5. Terry Thomas

Good to hear that you also go to zoos that are not AZA. My comment simply meant that if you only visit AZA zoos then I think you miss out on seeing some worthwhile exhibits in places that may not be AZA rated. My comparison to you only watching programs on one TV channel was probably not a good one. If you confined your viewing to only one channel then there are many interesting programs that you miss out on other channels -- just like if you only visited AZA zoos you would miss out on seeing exhibits that you may have enjoyed seeing, that do occur in other
    places from time to time.

6. Terry Thomas

I do not know a great deal about American zoos, but would be surprised if there were not at least a few, not AZA rated, which had some decent exhibits and reasonable animal care. Some of these smaller places are almost certainly short of money, and boycotting them surely helps to keep them that way. I understand that there are many places that should not exist, and would have no regrets to hear that they were closed down. I personally avoid going to zoos etc., that have a poor write-up, and have been very critical when I have seen bad conditions, or obvious lack of care.

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I voted pretty much the same, except Africa. I don't know what African zoos are like, but if I was going there, I'd prefer to go to a wildlife reserve. Although I have been to the two zoos on Tenerife, I wouldn't regard either as great.