Join our zoo community

Where can I find Nile Crocodiles please!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by intaru, 6 Sep 2013.

Tags:
  1. intaru

intaru Member

Hi guys :)

I usually just read on the forums because there is awesome information, but now I really need some help.

My little boy LOVES Nile crocodiles! He always mentions they are his favourite so for his birthday we really want to take him to see them. I done some research first but wasn't able to find what we were looking for, Noahs ark farm zoo and crocodiles of the world only seem to have baby Niles. We know that Wingham and West midlands safari park have them but I am really hoping maybe somone here knows where else I can find them?

We have family in Germany and France so if anyone knows any good places there then feel free to throw those suggestions in to that hat. I wouldn't mind travelling elsewhere in Europe if there are some good zoos that have them there either.

Thanks a lot!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Crocodiles of the World do *not* only have baby Nile Crocodiles - they have adults too. What is more, as far as I know they have the second best range of crocodilian species in Europe after Krokodilzoo in Denmark.

I know little about Krokodilzoo other than the fact they hold every species of crocodilian in the world, and that not all their species are onshow at any given time. As such, although I would certainly suggest you visit Krokodilzoo if possible, I suggest even more strongly that you *do* visit Crocodiles of the World as you cannot be sure of seeing Nile Crocodiles in Denmark.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Wingham no longer have any Niles.

In this country you have Crocodiles of the World with there juvenile South African Niles,that at the moment are around 5 foot for the largest of them,but then seeing 35 all in one enclosure is impressive.
    West Mids have the one which is around the 6-7 foot mark.
    Noahs have a pair which I suspect are East African and will not get much beyond 7-8 feet in size.
    Borth Animalrium has an East African Nile that is about 6-7 feet in length.

Apart from that I am not doing any others in the UK.

If you want large Niles the nearest is Rotterdam!

4. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you have the chance to go to France visit Le Ferme aux Crocodiles. It has dozens (possibly hundreds) of adult Nile crocodiles housed in a huge greenhouse with pools and waterways. With so many crocodiles there are always some swimming or walking about. There are many other crocodilians too.
    Home - La ferme aux crocodiles

5. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

According to Zootierliste, Heythrop have them. They have an open weekend next weekend.

6. zoogiraffe

The Heythrop Nile went to Borth earlier this year!

7. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For the record, I've not had chance to get on the forum over the last few days so was about to refute that statement that they're missing one species, but then I double checked zootierliste as you're not one to make such errors - when did they get the Orinoco crocodiles!!!!

8. zoogiraffe

They had them for a good few months before the news broke!

9. intaru

intaru Member

Thanks that sounds incredible, I will definately look at them further.

10. intaru

intaru Member

Thanks! I looked up what you said. Very tragic but the lady on the phone at borth said theirs had passed away :(. I think if there aren't any full sized ones in the UK I am certainly willing to look anywhere in the world now as I want it to be a really special occasion for my little one as he's gone through a tough operation. Do you think Rotterdams will be near the fully grown 16ft adults? Thank you for the tip off buddy!

11. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You will not find any Nile-crocs of 16 ft in Europe. There are some very big Saltwater ones in Amneville and Dresden but neither will reach 16 ft. Rotterdam has decent sized nile-crocks and their enclosure is very nice especially as one of them has the habit of laying directly next to the glass which is quite impressive but none of the animals will even reach 12 ft.

12. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Now that I have seen what you're looking for in size. You may be s.o.l. to find one that large. like DD said, Salties are the closest thing. We have some large ones in the states (15'-17') but they aren't niles. Sorry that your little guy has had a rough road, so far. Being a parent, I feel for you wanting to make him happy at any cost. Cheers.

13. intaru

intaru Member

Ah no I feared as much, I am beginning to hear this from a few friends too that there won't be any 16 ft ones in Europe :(

Strangely I just got off the phone with rotterdam zoo and they claimed to have no Nile crocodiles so I'm quite confused now because rotterdam seems to be everyone else's hot tip.

14. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yesterday they still had Nile crocodiles (I actually saw 5 of them) so I assume there might have been a misunderstanding with the person on the phone.

15. zoogiraffe

Trust me Rotterdam still has its Niles.

16. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Yes and I agree that Rotterdam is a great place to see the crocodiles, I've never been closer or had a better view.