Join our zoo community

Where do the Deer & Antelope Play?: A Look at America's Ungulate Populations

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by ThylacineAlive, 22 Aug 2020.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes there are a lot of populations outside of the AZA which are managed by private keepers. In fact, there are a good number of species managed privately which aren't in public zoos at all anymore. Nilgiri Tahr, Topi, and Grey Rhebok are all examples, though I can't say I know how well those populations are doing.

Thanks! :)

Gladys Porter Zoo in Texas and Bergen County Zoo in New Jersey are currently the only AZA holders of brocket deer. The other two holders are non-AZA but I do not know who they are or if they are public.

Thank you! Good a good deal of time but I'm happy people are interested.

In the 2014 report, those 0.0.70 anoa all belonged to one of three private holders. I'd imagine a good deal of the current population still remains in private hands but is managing them in cooperation with the TAG.

I meant to make a note on the Gerenuk drop so thanks for reminded me! While I do not know what caused the dropped, it was a lot more sudden than my post suggests sadly. In 2017, there were 37.47 Gerenuk in the population. However, in the 2018 report there were only 22.29 left. Over the course of one year the population lost 15.18 animals... The good news is that the population has at least slightly increased between 2018 and 2019, even if only by 1.3 animals. Despite the sudden drop in numbers, the TAG still lists the species as a Yellow SSP and considers the population to be stable.

No unfortunately. I don't think the South-Central Black Rhinoceros program was ever an AZA program, but rather one managed by Fort Worth which other zoos joined on their own accord. I think the program has been deemed unsustainable now, unfortunately, and the taxa is listed for phasing out. I know Fort Worth, Disney, White Oak, and Denver(?) still hold the subspecies, though I don't know if there are any others or what their numbers are.

All the females died. LA kept breeding them right to the end but I believe all new fawns born and eventually much of the herd (possibly all of the herd by now?) succumbed to chronic wasting disease.

You are very welcome!

If you do manage to find Calamian Deer still at LA, please let me know how many you see, or try to find out how many are left if you do speak to a keeper. Besides LA, the only other holder will be Phoenix with either one or two males.

My pleasure :)

I, too, saw the pair of Royal Antelope at Lowry Park in 2013 (the only time I've seen the species). If they're still around, it's down to 1.0 kept at San Diego Zoo. I'm not entirely positive this individual is still alive, however...

Additionally, Plains Zebra are incredibly common in the private trade and as an exotic pet. I could buy one online right now if I wanted to. As such, they are a very common animals in non-AZA zoos, safari parks, and ranches. I even visited a ski resort once that kept a Plains Zebra with a camel in their horse barn. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the prospects of pure Plains Zebra subspecies are. I've discovered recently that a great deal of the Grant's in US zoos (including AZA) have at least a little hybridization with Burchell's in their ancestry. As for Burchell's or any others, who knows.

It's quite sad how badly captive deer populations have suffered due to CWD restrictions, though I agree it is remarkable how many programs are still surviving. The fact that the Barasingha, Pere David's Deer, Southern Pudu, and even muntjac programs have grown is excellent news overall. I know muntjac in particular are often one of the species singled out by CWD legislation which is probably a bit surprising given how common they are both in zoos and even in the private trade.

Incidentally, CWD restrictions are something I was just looking into yesterday as well. Simply put, there are only 2 US states that have no written laws specifically referring to CWD. These are Nevada and Washington*, who, in general, banned the keeping of captive deer for seemingly unrelated reasons before CWD restrictions started being implemented in 2002. Additionally, there are 32 states that have some form of regulation that restricts the importation, transfer, and/or keeping of captive cervids to varying degrees of severity. The most common regulation I found was states requiring a 5 year quarantine period of all animals planned to be moved across state lines as well as for all other animals kept in the herd. The remaining 16 states in the US have implemented a ban on the importation (and sometimes even the keeping) of captive cervids to some degree. Some states only ban certain species (native species and all Cervus and Muntiacus species tend to be the most universally banned, though sometimes muntjacs are permitted), though most states ban all cervids from moving into their state lines. Many states also require testing and permitting to even move deer within the state.

As you can imagine, all of these restrictions make it extremely difficult to manage deer programs, especially when these restrictions also pertains to simply transporting deer through states which inhibits zoos' abilities to transport animals between them for breeding. For example, I know the newest legislation passed in Louisiana has meant that the Audubon can no longer ship their Barasingha out of state, meaning the portion of the population kept between the zoo and breeding center are trapped there until further notice.

It's no surprise really that most zoos have simply given up on keeping exotic deer as a result of all this, as sad as that is. I know California and New York have particularly lax (and in my opinion very sound) regulations, both allowing animals planned for import to be tested immediately prior to transport as well as upon arrival in a quarantined setting, so this is why one will find the two major hubs of Asian deer in America to be the Bronx Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. These two zoos almost single-handedly manage multiple Asian hoofstock populations between them, including the non-AZA North Indian Muntjac program. I know Bronx alone has roughly half the Barasingha in the United States.

*Why Northwest Trek is permitted to keep Roosevelt Elk, a species high on the CWD threat list is unknown to me. Washington's ban on captive cervids was passed in 1993.

In addition to these points, many zoos building new African savannas often either do not have the space to accommodate large mixed plains with multi-species herds and therefore prioritize the most crowd-pleasing species, or simply have no interest in a wide diversity of African antelope/gazelle. Simply put, I'd imagine most zoos with more limited holding capacity will have an "any antelope will do" mentality, if they even go for any antelope species at all. While there are still some zoos with designated hoofstock exhibits, as with the small mammal house and carnivore house these exhibits are becoming increasingly endangered in their own right. This greatly reduces the space for ungulate diversity within a collection, as a zoogeographic exhibit will often include many non-ungulate species. It does seem that African hoofstock has still faired better than Asian by and large, though. I'd imagine the interest in large mixed African savannas is much greater than Asian ones. It's possible that African antelopes are seen as more charismatic than the handful of Asian ones present (apart from Arabian Oryx I suppose, but that suffers from having to compete with three other oryx programs). Seeing as deer and caprines are the most populous Asian hoofstock in captivity while also being the least popular with the average zoogoer, it's no surprise to me that large African antelopes have garnered more interest regardless of legislation.

I think the biggest contributing factor will be the inability to import additional stock, however. Much like deer, the USDA has place strict restrictions on the importation of many ungulate groups from out of country. Deer can only be imported internationally from Canada, subject to the CWD restrictions present in both the originating province and the receiving state. As far as other ungulates go, it is nearly impossible to import any ruminant ungulates from Europe, Asia, or Africa. For those unfamiliar with the term, ruminant ungulates are those which have specialized stomachs which ferment their food prior to digestion. Pronghorn, chevrotains, giraffes, musk-deer, true deer, and all of Bovidae (cattle, caprines, antelope, etc.) are ruminants, and therefore subject to importation bans. Imports from Canada are possible, as are (oddly) imports from specifically Australia and New Zealand. As we all know, however, these are not ungulate-rich countries and therefore these exceptions are of little help to US programs. These laws exist to protect the American livestock population of potential diseases transmitted by foreign ruminants. The unfortunate result of these laws is that it is nearly impossible for US zoos to import additional, and often badly needed, bloodlines to their populations. As sad truth for most zoo managed populations is that they often times have a very small founder base. American populations for species like the Slender-Horned Gazelle and North Sulawesi Babirusa, for instance, all descend from three founding animals. Some animals don't suffer from inbreeding depression too much, if at all, but in ungulates the result can often be increased infant mortality and reduced lifespans. Fertility may also be reduced, though I'm not sure if this is as large an issue for US programs as the first two are. While some species have managed to thrive relatively well on low genetic diversity (the aforementioned gazelle and babirusa for example), many others have faced difficult breeding and management challenges as a result. Often times, lack of genetic diversity and its effect on the captive population is as much a factor in determining which programs to phase-out as interest in a species is. The ungulate TAGs work very hard to overcome these challenges and import further genetics whenever possible, but unfortunately the inability to simply bring in more animals handcuffs many programs.

You are welcome :)

Thank you for linking those profiles, as it actually gives me figures for four more species:

Guanaco
    2017: 34.36.13 in 26 AZA institutions

Domestic Bactrian Camel
    2018: 46.55 in 34 AZA institutions

Ugandan Kob
    2019: 12.24.2 in 2 institutions

American Bison (pure+impure)
    2019: 93.186.10 in 49 AZA institutions

~Thylo

2. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

@ThylacineAlive I’ll report back on here what I find out, I know they’re found by the children’s play area which could be closed off due to COVID but I’ll see first hand and post photos on the LA Zoo gallery of new changes or animals :)

Xenarthra and ThylacineAlive like this.
  3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bongo and Scimitar Horned Oryx are species that I constantly see for sale. They're not terribly expensive either.

Yes. There is a privately owned zoo in Wisconsin that has Anoa and currently plans on acquiring more.

I wasn't familiar that Guanacos were so common in the United States. Which facilities have them?

4. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Importing Cervids into Alabama is more risky than importing meth. Haha

GiratinaIsGod and Jungle Man like this.
  5. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hunting a Bongo though.still costs as much as a Range Rover. Whereas Scimitar basically are the same price as a Whitetail.

But that was why I deleted my last post. Didn't want to derail a thread about the AZA with private facility talk.

Jungle Man and EsserWarrior like this.
  6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You didn't consult me for this :p I'm doing ungulates as soon as I finish carnivores, which should be soon, ideally within a week. It'll take me a while to compile the lists and then proof them as best as possible, but if there's any particular species people would like me to do first, just ask.

Pleistohorse likes this.
  7. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This isn’t a complete list, but zoos that have Guanacos include (can’t 100% confirm that some of these places still hold them): San Diego, Detroit, Rosamond Gifford, San Francisco, Louisville, Santa Ana, Capital of Texas and Bergen County.

I actually thought there were more Guanacos in the US than 80 or so individuals, although that might be because of how similar to Llamas:D (although I do like them quite a bit more)

Jungle Man, EsserWarrior and TinoPup like this.
  8. TinoPup

I haven't proofed this list because I can't really tell the difference between guanaco and llama, but:
    Abilene, Alabama Gulf Coast, Alameda Park, Audubon, Bergen County, Capital of Texas, Detroit, El Paso, Fairview Zoo (IA), Franklin Drive Thru Safari (TX), Gone Wild Safari (LA), Idaho Falls, Ivie Acres Farm (UT), Louisville, Miller Park, Rosamond Gifford, San Francisco, Santa Ana, Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo, Smoky Mountain Deer Farm (TN), Tennessee Safari Park, Wildlife Safari (OR), Zoo Miami.

All have 1-5 except for TN Safari Park, which has around 30.

Regarding Anoa, they are starting to turn up in roadside zoos that purchase from the pet/ranch industries, so there must be at least one private holder, if not more.

9. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that the effects of Ernest Hemingway having been lost to us 60 years ago, include a rising disinterest in “Game Species” and an lessening appreciation for their diversity. *half-kidding, but I do believe it to be a factor. Fortunately for now, drive through safari parks pick up some of the slack.

Jungle Man likes this.
  10. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Timbavati Wildlife Park in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin has some. I'm not aware of how many they have, as I haven't been there in years, but I'm acquaintances with the child of the owners, and he said they planned on getting more from another facility.

Xenarthra and Jungle Man like this.
  11. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Anoa: CCTU/Rum Creek/peace river (what ever you want to call it) had/has well over 60 anoas
    Also Micanopy Zoological Preserve (Rhudy Holly) had at least a dozen when I visited, roughly 2014. They are well established in the FL private sector

Sarus Crane, Xenarthra and Jungle Man like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

While the AZA populations were a starting point, private and non-AZA holdings are welcome, too! :)

~Thylo

Jungle Man, Pleistohorse and Zorro like this.
  13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That would be great to add the non-AZA numbers as there are large collections of many endangered species in them!

14. ThylacineAlive

I would love to, but that information will likely be harder to attain. I do plan on starting species lists soon, though, and hopefully members can further add to them. I'll probably do separate posts by "type" of ungulate so as not to have one massive post.

~Thylo

nczoofan, Zorro and Pleistohorse like this.
  15. ThylacineAlive

Giraffes
    Masai Giraffe (10 holders)
    Brevard Zoo
    Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
    Franklin Park Zoo
    Houston Zoo
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Nashville Zoo
    Roger Williams Park Zoo
    San Diego Zoo
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    Santa Barbara Zoo

Rothschild's/Nubian Giraffe (suspected) (2 holders)
    B. Bryan Preserve

Giraffe (sensu lato) (19 holders)
    Audubon Species Survival Center
    Audubon Zoo
    Bronx Zoo
    Chattanooga Zoo
    Dallas Zoo
    Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Fort Worth Zoo
    Gladys Porter Zoo
    Living Desert Zoo & Gardens
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
    San Antonio Zoo
    Southwicks Zoo
    Topeka Zoo
    Tulsa Zoo
    Zoo Atlanta
    Zoo Tampa

Okapi (11 holders)
    Bronx Zoo
    Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
    Dallas Zoo
    Houston Zoo
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Garden
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    San Antonio Zoo
    San Diego Zoo
    Sedgwick County Zoo
    Zoo Tampa

Now obviously I am missing many, many holders for these animals. I likely will for most taxa I cover. But this is where you all come in, let's fill those gaps!

~Thylo

Jungle Man likes this.
  16. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hogle zoo had Giraffe when I went in July, I'm pretty sure they were just generic

17. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

North Carolina and Riverbanks have generic giraffe.

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Masai Giraffes are also kept by Columbus, Racine, Toledo, The Wilds, and (apparently) Timbavati Wildlife Park.

Saint Louis, Columbus, and Brookfield all keep Okapi.

Lincoln Park and The Wilds claims their Giraffes are pure Rothschild's, not sure if this is accurate.

Generic Giraffes are kept by Henry Vilas, NEW, Milwaukee, Como Park, Columbus, The Wilds, Saint Louis, Detroit, Binder Park, Indianapolis, Brookfield, and Timbavati Wildlife Park.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2020
  19. TinoPup

Giraffe is a big place to start, there's 150+ holders :)

The main issue with ungulates is all the private places that hold species. Should ranches and the like be included, for accurate numbers, or just places people can visit?

20. ThylacineAlive

Wild Cattle
    American Bison (pure) (5 holders)
    Bronx Zoo
    Minnesota Zoo
    Oakland Zoo
    Oklahoma City Zoo
    Sedgwick County Zoo

American Bison (impure) (6 holders)
    Action Wildlife
    Queens Zoo
    Roger Williams Park Zoo
    Rosamond Gifford Zoo
    Space Farms Zoo & Museums
    Wildlife World Zoo

Lowland Anoa (7 holders)
    Fort Worth Zoo
    Micanopy Zoological Preserve
    Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
    Rum Creek Ranch
    Timbavati Wildlife Park
    Zoo Tampa

Javan Banteng (2 holders)
    Rum Creek Ranch

Gaur (6 holders)
    Bronx Zoo
    Gladys Porter Zoo
    Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park
    Living Treasures (not sure which one, there are two in Virginia but one has Gaur supposedly)
    Zoo Miami

Cape Buffalo (2 holders)
    Denver Zoo

Again, there are definitely others for these, especially the impure bison, it's just a little difficult to check every single zoo website at 11pm :p

~Thylo

iluvwhales and Pleistohorse like this.