Join our zoo community

Where do the Deer & Antelope Play?: A Look at America's Ungulate Populations

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by ThylacineAlive, 22 Aug 2020.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pictures will not happen, that is not the purpose of this thread and would make it rather difficult to navigate. There are other threads for that.
    If you want subspecies photos, then you might find this thread interesting. Ungulate taxonomy revisited: the evidence for the splits of G&G

As for scientific names that's up to thread creator, obviously. Some of us don't use them in the threads and some do. These threads are a massive amount of work, and TinoPup went to quite a length on this one. This is by far the most researched and most complete of the group population threads, with innumerable hours put into it. Immediately just asking for updates and changes isn't going to win you any favors.

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Scientific names also aren't as much a necessity with something like ungulates, as most mammals (and birds for that matter) have common names that are easily understood and usually apply to a singular species. It'd be different if this thread was on reptiles, as there's where you often times have common names that are essentially worthless with so many species either not having a common name, or having a common name that's shared with multiple other species.

TinoPup and Great Argus like this.
  3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please read the entire thread. We stopped using subspecies, for the most part, because they're too difficult to track.
    Even easy things take a while to do when it's this many animals, vs you spending a few seconds looking up whatever specific species you're interested in. Binomial names don't fit nicely into my spreadsheet, The update to this thread took me roughly 750 hours of finding facilities and then confirming holders. What you think is simple, is even more work for me.

If you're looking for a subspecies photo, go to the media album for whatever facility holds it.

4. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

iluvwhales likes this.
  5. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

Sustainable Safari in Maplewood, Minnesota has Lowland Nyala, Thompson's Gazelle, and Reeve's Muntjac

6. Veno

Veno Well-Known Member

Is the Siberian tundra reindeer at the Cougar Mountain Zoo a purebred individual?

wild boar likes this.
  7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't know that many places had gaur (I know this thread is from 2020). Are they still scheduled for phase-out?

8. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many and which zoo's currently keep Beisa, Fringe Eared, & Gemsbok Oryx other than Wildlife World (Beisa), North Carolina (Fringe Eared), and Lake Tobias (Gemsbok) [closed till April]? ?? I'm thinking of maybe stopping at a place that houses them on the east coast if I travel for spring break.

9. TinoPup

These are all in the thread...

First three are no longer holders.

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The non-AZA holders are a little questionable tbh, the VAST majority of Gaur outside of the AZA are actually Gayal or hybrids with cattle.

SDZSP no longer holds Gaur and Miami only has one left. Lee Simmons (Omaha) only keeps bulls for some reason, likely all older animals. Gladys Porter has three or four animals, but they do have a calf born within the past year or so. Bronx currently has 38 animals and has been seeing multiple births a year for several years now. Bronx's population now exceeds that of all of Europe, who has also chosen to phase-out the species despite more holders and a recent import of a few additional breeding animals.

Unfortunately, the AZA still plans to phase-out this species due to a lack of holding interest. No wild cattle program other than bison are popular with modern zoo management so it's really no surprise they've chosen the more endangered, more populous, and more easily contained Banteng. Despite this, the Bronx clearly has no intentions to go out of Gaur any time soon.

~Thylo

11. wild boar

wild boar Well-Known Member

Which animal are you referring to?

12. ThylacineAlive

Beisa Oryx.. As is the list quoted in her post.

~Thylo

TinoPup likes this.
  13. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So much for for concern we should compassionately for all species. Really weak response to zoos embracing all species that truly represent a diversity. Welcome to new zoo catering solely to human species. It's where they learn how to pick your pocket to champion "conservation." So it's a new olde cow species the " cash cow." By the way great job bronx zoo housing zoo housing Gaur. Not just 1, 2, 5, but a really good size of them!

JVM likes this.
  14. wild boar

I wasn't sure if she was referring to the quote above her words or below it, because there was no specification.

15. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Re-the fringe-eared oryx, I’ve discussed this with @TinoPup privately since, but it is important to note that I can find no evidence that Virginia Safari still has fringe-eared oryx nor that they ever actually had them. Prior to the new upper management coming in, Zoofari Parks were notorious for listing their animals as the wrong subspecies. If they did, indeed, have East African oryx at some point, I think it would be safe to assume they were Beisa instead, as those are far more common in the private sector. Fringe-eared are almost exclusively kept in the AZA or close partners.

16. ThylacineAlive

I have always suspected this as well. On ZIMS I believe they did list both subspecies of East African Oryx but most individuals were listed as Fringe-Eared.

~Thylo

TinoPup, Kudu21 and Ituri like this.
  17. TinoPup

Thank you for mentioning that, I forgot to change my notation in my document! I'd guess beisa as well, since there's a big herd of them down the road at Natural Bridge.

Kudu21 likes this.
  18. TinoPup

New text goes under quotes. Like I'm doing right now.

19. wild boar

Does Larry Johnson house any Cuvier's gazelles besides these two? Based on some photographs uploaded to ZooChat, I know he had at least two in 2013 but those animals could have passed.

20. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No axis deer or sambar deer anywhere? What about blackbuck or nilgai?