Join our zoo community

Where do the Deer & Antelope Play?: A Look at America's Ungulate Populations

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by ThylacineAlive, 22 Aug 2020.

1. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cheyenne Mountain now holds warthog.

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're welcome :)

Mast Farm is the private breeding center owned by Cincinnati. I heard they moved their warty pigs there after closing Wildlife Canyon, though that could be incorrect? Thanks for reminding me about Pittsburgh, they're also an additional holder of Masai Giraffe!

Iron Mountain Ranch and Rum Creek (CCTU) are both owned by the same millionaire ungulate enthusiast and are unfortunately closed to the public. I'm sure there are a lot more species kept at both than what I know, but the species list is amazing. I know a lot of ex-San Diego stock went to Iron Mountain back in the day.

That they do, thanks! There doesn't seem to be many hoofstock species at the zoo which aren't also at the safari park.

~Thylo

Okapi Lover, Xenarthra and Jungle Man like this.
  3. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

Couple additions -- Minnesota has Visayan Warty Pig; Hemker Park & Zoo has had muskox, although I've never been there so can't verify they are still there.

Jungle Man and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. Xenarthra

Xenarthra Well-Known Member

Chiming in again with Fresno info!

Fresno currently exhibits Chacoan peccary, North Sulawesi babirusa, and warthog. They've also had Barbary sheep on exhibit for the past few years (loaned from San Diego Zoo Safari Park), but as the tiger exhibit currently under construction will occupy the footprint of their current area, I'm assuming they're leaving soon, or have already left.

5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo Miami has babirusa, red-river hog, and Visayan warty pig alongside their warthog.

6. Okapi Lover

Okapi Lover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you for the information. That is a shame re: those facilities. I was there this weekend, and the warty pigs were moved into the greater one horned rhino exhibit after she passed away earlier this year. I don't know if they were anywhere else (i.e. Mast Farm) in the interim.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sacramento for Red River Hog.

Wildlife Safari had Barbary Sheep when I visited a few years ago, they had a lot so they probably still do.

8. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Tregembo Animal Park for Giraffe and Red river hog Critter Country Animal Farm for Red river hog Keystone Safari for Banteng and Guanaco. Waccatee and West Virginia State Wildlife Center for boar. West Virginia State Wildlife Center has bison. I have seen all of these.

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Boulder Ridge Animal Park recently got Lowland anoa replacing the Black wildebeest.

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Additionally:

Abilene Zoo
    Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo
    Alexandria Zoo
    Big Cat Habitat
    Binder Park Zoo
    Boulder Ridge Wild Animal Park
    Brights Zoo
    Carson Springs
    Cohanzick Zoo
    Critter Country Animal Farm
    Dallas Zoo
    Dickerson Park Zoo
    Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge (separate from the park)
    El Paso Zoo
    Franklin Drive Thru Safari
    Giraffe Ranch (Dade City, FL)
    Kansas City Zoo
    Little Rock Zoo
    Los Angeles Zoo
    Memphis Zoo
    Milwaukee County Zoo
    Montgomery Zoo
    Oklahoma City Zoo
    Peoria Zoo
    Philadelphia Zoo
    R Lazy J Wildlife Ranch
    Sacramento Zoo
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Tanganyika Wildlife Park
    Tregembo Animal Park
    Virginia Zoo
    Zoo Knoxville
    Zoo Miami
    Zoosiana

There's a few others but I couldn't find confirmation.

11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Phoenix also has a few of those.

12. ThylacineAlive

Yes I actually just worked out yesterday that it is Phoenix and Bergen County with the remaining animals in the AZA, and that Gladys Porter has unfortunately lost their last animals.

~Thylo

Jungle Man and twilighter like this.
  13. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shalom Wildlife Zoo keeps European Mouflon.

Columbus does not keep takin.
    Grant's Farm keeps Guanacos. I have some photos of this. Animal Haven signs them but I didn't see any (they had lots of hiding places though).
    Binder Park and Milwaukee keep Red River Hog.

Indianapolis keeps Common Warthog.

Minnesota keeps Visayan Warty Pig. Where did you get Columbus as a holder?

Last edited: 27 Aug 2020
    Jungle Man and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Nicholas LionRider

Nicholas LionRider Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say Bronx Zoo also has Masai Giraffes. They have 3 kinds (Reticulated, Masai and Rothschilds)

15. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Bronx does not have Masai. They have labeled their giraffes as "baringo" for much of my life. But they are just generic giraffes.

16. ThylacineAlive

If they have Masai they will have had to have received them this year. I'd love it if they were in the process of shifting from generic to Masai, but I haven't seen anything to suggest this is the case. Last I checked the zoo had around 6 "Baringo" and one "Reticulated" giraffe, the later of which is their breeding male.

~Thylo

17. ThylacineAlive

The Muskox are on their animal adoptions page so I'd assume they're there. They're map doesn't show a lot of their animals unfortunately so it's hard to confirm 100%.

The sheep are recorded, but Fresno has the Kordofan subspecies so they're logged under that taxa. Thanks for the additional info.!

Do you have photos or videos showing the Banteng at Keystone? When I looked into them I could only find domestic cattle that somewhat resembled Banteng. I'm hesitant to add the boar simply because this zoo seems to keep largely rescued natives and therefore is more likely to have feral hogs labeled as boar.

A few of these I had already but thanks for all the new additions! A few others I had down but forgot to add :rolleyes::oops: Probably America's most widespread pig honestly. I have more holders down for them than bison now! I had trouble confirming a few of these, particularly the collections with very little information on them such as R Lazy J Wildlife Ranch and Zoosiana. I'd forgotten Philadelphia had moved their pigs to destroy that beautiful savanna yard and didn't phase them out as they did Okapi when they abandoned those paddocks...

Can you show me the photos of Grant's Farm's animals? A few of the Guanaco holdings I investigated ended up having very-wild looking Llamas instead of Guanaco. I forget if it was Grant's Farm but one zoo even showed a photo of one being nursed by its Llama mother.

So what happened with Columbus is I had their website and Minnesota's open side-by-side at once and I must have accidentally kept looking at Minnesota's when I thought I was on Columbus'. I originally had Urial and boar down for Columbus, too, which is obviously also incorrect.

~Thylo

Jungle Man and Xenarthra like this.
  18. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would air on the side of caution when suggesting whether or not a facility houses true gaur or not. It is quite likely they are just gayal, given that gaur are sometimes still listed as Bos frontalis-- even some of the confirmed animals in ZIMS (Miami's & GPZ's remaining animals, for example) are listed as such.

Otherwise, White Oak holds a breeding herd of Cape buffalo, and the B Bryan Preserve holds a single individual from Denver. There are several holders in Mexico.

I would also add that there is 0.1 purebred Roth/Nubian giraffe at the Audubon SSC, with two suspected others but the records are not complete to confirm

19. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know Milwaukee recently got/will get a male with the hopes to breed them.

Zorro likes this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well here it is, the photo is significantly less helpful than I thought it would be:

Guanaco (Lama guanicoe) - ZooChat

If it's any help, this was my first time seeing a Guanaco, and I was shocked how different they looked from Llamas.

I might have another photo of the Grant's Farm Guanacos, but if I do it might take a while to find. I'll see what I can do.