Join our zoo community

Open Where Have Gone the Posts (some) from the old Zoochat?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 22 Oct 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I believe all of you zoochatters, have noticed that some of your posts from the old Zoochat were lost?
    I lost aproximately 10% of my posts; in the old Zoochat I had at least 1,020 posts, and now I have 920. :) I was just curious whether they have been inevitably lost or were so damaged durring transfer, that were discarded? Or those posts who were lost were those earlier posted? I jave noticed that some zoochatters (and apparently more older members) lost a much more than 10% of their posts from the old Zoochat.

Not that all of my posts were good :), but still I would love to know what happened to them, why they have been lost?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No posts have been lost per se - it is merely a reflection of the fact that the old forum used to include comments made within the gallery in the total postcount of users, whilst this forum does not :) so your current postcount is the total number of posts you have made on the forum, whilst your old postcount was the total number of posts you have made on the forum *and* in the gallery.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Speaking of 'Comments in the Galleries', I used to start every visit to ZooChat by looking at the 'New Comments' photos, but I can't seem to find them anymore. Is there a button I can push like before, or is it more complicated now?

:p

Hix

Kakapo likes this.
  4. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is exactly what I used to do. I noticed that the new page for this cannot be accessed in mobile form but when I used my computer, there was a side section that was titled "Recent Comments" (for the gallery). Unfortunately though, only five links show up.

Kakapo likes this.
  5. Hix

And you can't actually see the photos themselves, only who has posted (well, their avatar), the title of the image, and the comment.

Hix

Last edited: 23 Oct 2016
    Kakapo likes this.
  6. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I was able to. If you just click on them, it will take you to a new tab.

7. Hix

Yes, but I like to see a thumbnail to decide whether it's of interest or not. I can't do that anymore.

Kakapo likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, it's so complicated now you can't actually do it :(

I've got it on my todo list to fix this - but I'm not sure how long it's going to take.

Kakapo likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Yes, the Recent Comments is a bit useless at the moment. Doesn't even show date or category. Will need to do something about that. It's on the (rather long) list of things to fix along with building a usable recent comments feature.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2016
    Kakapo likes this.
  11. Simon Hampel

I'm pretty disappointed overall with how unimportant comments are for the gallery - I think the developers have missed the point somewhat - it's not just about the photos, the discussion is often just as important and sometimes even more so.

I do still think there is merit in the old way I had things working with comments being actual threads. I've suggested that to the developers, but they said there were technical reasons why that couldn't happen (mostly because they have to cater to all types of sites, not just the way we use it).

I'd still like to investigate going back to doing things that way - but it's going to take a lot of work (which I don't have time to do right now) and I won't want to start work until we get the next major release of the software.

There is a major new version coming soon (complete rewrite of the forum and gallery software), which will require me to throw out all of the customisations I've already made and start from scratch - so I need to be careful about how much time I spend on things now.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  12. Hix

Does this mean we'll be waiting a while before new photo galleries are created as well?

Hix

13. Simon Hampel

No, I spent about 2 weeks working on a new system to create new zoos and photo galleries. I just have to show @jobalba how to use it so she can get caught up with the backlog and we should be good to go.

I've got an insanely busy week coming this week, so that probably won't be until the week after.

But soon - I promise!