Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Where is the last siamang baby

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PAT, 10 Mar 2008.

1. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Seeing that the siaman pair at melbourne zoo have had a new baby. I was wandering what will happen to the last son they had. Will it stay with the family or get moved around, or to another zoo.

2. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wouldn't be surprised if it stayed. . . i believe the other day I saw 4 - 5 siamang on one isalnd (atleast 2 looked to be young)

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

hmmmmm....

i'm confused. the siamangs don't live on an island at melbourne. they share the orangutan exhibit. i didn't know that they had had another baby, but its no surprise if they have.

pat - siamangs, like all gibbons live in family groups very similar to our own. they generally pair for life and adolescents live with parents and younger juvenile siblings. eventually the older offspring are pushed from the group and encouraged to go find mates of their own.

melbourne's siamang pair have only been together for a few years, but fortunately hit it off well from the start producing a female offspring almost immediately. unfortunately she died but soon after they had another, the young male you are talking about. he is still only young himself, so is far from ready to be moved to another zoo. gibbons stay with their parents for a very long time. he will no doubt instead stay at the zoo for now and help in the upbringing of his younger sibling.

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

The elder son is two years old and the younger son was born in November.

5. PAT

Thanks for that.
    That sounds so nice i wish all animals lived like that

6. patrick

i dunno.... the idea of having my own harem is pretty appealing!!!

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But think of all those mothers in law!!:(

8. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

obviously you aren't married patrick. One wife drives me insane. I couldn't imagine a house full of them.

9. patrick

well for the short period of time i can maintain them it would be good. of course eventually one day i'll be at the pub and some big stud of a guy will come up and stand real close to me. i'll be like "eh backup buddy your in my territory here" and he'll deliver me with a nasty headbutt....... when i wake up all my wives will be gone.

but of course not after having many of my babies :D

10. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, should have mentioned that was at Mogo. . . Was just metioning the family groupings at another zoo and that's why I wouldn't have been surprised if themelbourne one stayed.

11. PAT

I had another question about melbourne zoo and i thought instead of opaning another thread i would just tack it on here.

If you look on google maps and zoom in as close as you can get to where i imagine the penguins would be then you can see a grassy paddock with a bit of shade cloth and some trees. Does anyone know what is in there?

12. patrick

sounds like the old elephant exhibit... its next door to the penguins.

13. zookiah63

zookiah63 Well-Known Member

It is the old elephant enclosure. It's currently being used for the 'roar and snore' overnight activities and the old (heritage protected) elephant barn has been set up with tables and benches for the meals.