Join our zoo community

Where to Find Extinct In The Wild Species

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by The Speeding Carnotaurus, 11 Mar 2018.

1. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hey,
    Does anyone know of places to find EW species?
    I know of just a few:
    Scimitar Horned Oryx: African Lion Safari
    Guam Kingfisher: Milwaukee County Zoo

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If we are talking globally, Pere David's Deer are very common in captivity.

3. The Speeding Carnotaurus

The Speeding Carnotaurus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, globally would be alright, if you can list institutions it would be greatly appreciated

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

To be precise, Guam kingfisher is not an extinct in the wild species, is the Guam nominate subspecies extinct in the wild of the whole Micronesian kingfisher species, Pohnpei and Palaos subspecies are not extinct in the wild.

You can find Endler's livebearer in any home aquarium and pet shop in the world. Many partula snails at London zoo, but behind the scenes. Butterfly splitfin is common in captivity, I've seen at Prague world aquarium and in a pet shop. London zoo keeps various puppy fish species not kept in other european zoos or in few of them, including EW Cyprinodon longidorsalis and alvarezi. Of Course Al Wabra holds almost the world population of Spix's macaws, but recently Singapore (?) acquired a pair. Socorro dove is pretty common in zoos, I've seen in London and Wuppertal. Parque das Aves in Brazil breeded Alagoas curassow.

5. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I can appreciate that taxonomic splits are often not universally accepted, I do find the way you state your viewpoints on such issues as though they are the only option concerning, as it may mislead and confuse some people.

The IUCN red list considers the Guam, Pohnpei & Palau kingfishers distinct enough to be separate species.

On the subject of extinct in the wild species, Taronga zoo has colonies of both Lister's gecko and Christmas Island blue-tailed skink, though I don't think either are on display.

d1am0ndback and ThylacineAlive like this.
  6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

While I usually don't accept spilts that seems illogic, I'm well aware of their existence for almost each one of the changes. However, not in this case. Nobody in the world considered previously the subspecies of Micronesian kingfisher as different species. Your post is the first notice ever of that spilting, so is your post what is rather confusing and misleading.

7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The IUCN does in fact (as @Swampy pointed out), and states Todiramphus pelewensis and T. reichenbachii as similar but different species. The Guam kingfisher (T. cinnamominus) is listed as Extinct in the wild.

My source is, of course, the IUCN red list.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2018
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They have been split since 2014, originally in the HBW using the Tobias Criteria for determining species. It has been widely followed since then.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

In case you haven't seen this thread (and for the benefit of other members): The Pink House - Re-introduction of the Christmas Island Blue-tailed Skink

And on the subject of extinct-in-the-wild insular lizards: Auckland Zoo - Cobble Skinks (including a photo of one at Auckland Zoo by @Najade)

10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If JAZA's website is updated then Pere Divid's deer can be found in Tama zoo, Asa zoo, Kumamoto zoo and Akita city Omoriyama zoo.
    Scimitar horned oryx can be found at Iwate safari park, Nasu safari park, Tama zoo, Chiba city zoo, Hamura zoo, Nagano Chasuyama zoo, Adventure world, Himeji Cantral park, Izu animal kingdom (not affiliated with Kobe and Nasu animal kingdom), Akiyoshidai Safari land (known as Yamaguchi safari park here) and African safari from Usa.

I hope that helps carno

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are the ones I know of:

Guam Kingfisher: Milwaukee County Zoo, Lincoln Park Zoo, Brookfield Zoo (behind the scenes)
    Guam Rail: Lincoln Park Zoo
    Wyoming Toad: Como Park Zoo (behind the scenes), National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium
    Butterfly Splitfin: Shedd Aquarium

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I only learned about the existence of the Butterfly splitfin about half an hour ago, but it's worth pointing out that Wikipedia says a small population in the wild was rediscovered, and that there is concern that captive populations are decreasing.

13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's currently only two mammal species that are classified as Extinct in the Wild.
    The Scimitar-horned Oryx is in the process of being re-introduced to the wild and will hopefully be moved off the list in a decade or two. There are currently nearly 2,000 individuals in the stud book, spread over 200 institutions. The Sahara Conservation Fund (Sahara Conservation Fund | Sahara Conservation Fund) is in charge of their reintroduction. Here's a short article on it: Rewilding the African Scimitar-Horned Oryx | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

The Pere David's Deer has similar numbers in captivity outside of China. Within China there are 50+ herds, most being less than 10 individuals but some numbering in the hundreds. Few are truly wild; most are still at least being supplementally fed. The Red List page goes into detail about their situation in China: Elaphurus davidianus (Pere David's Deer, Père David's Deer)

Several other mammal species have been successfully removed from being EitW, or saved just before being placed on it, including the black footed ferret and the red wolf, two other species that are very common in American zoos.

14. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know Cheyenne Mountain and I believe Detroit have Wyoming toads

15. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

some partial lists

Guam kingfisher: Albuquerque, Bronx, Houston, National Aviary, New Orleans, San Antonio, San Diego, Smithsonian, St Louis
    Guam rail: National Aviary, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, San Diego, Smithsonian
    Hawaiian crow: San Diego
    Pere David's deer: Aggieland, Arbuckle, Bronx, Cherokee Trace, Gentry, Monroe, Oklahoma City, Omaha, San Diego, Sharkarosa
    Scimitarhorn Oryx: Aggieland, Arbuckle, Cherokee Trace, Dallas, Fossil Rim, Gentry, Natural Bridge, New Braunfels, San Diego, Smithsonian
    Socorro dove: Albuquerque, Smithsonian

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Guam kingisher at Bronx? Where, in World of Birds maybe? I missed both the animal and the signage...

17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's why they're called discoveries..

They have a pair in the Aquatic Bird House and additional animals behind the scenes.

~Thylo

TinoPup likes this.
  19. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

southwick's houses Scimitarhorn Oryx

20. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@The Speeding Carnotaurus
    Being in the USA, you may not know about zootierliste.de which you can 'expert search' for EW species and the European holders