Join our zoo community

Where to find rain frogs?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SeekingFrogs, 6 May 2022.

1. SeekingFrogs

SeekingFrogs New Member

Does anyone know of zoos/aquariums with rain frogs? Desert rain frogs (Breviceps macrops) are my favorite, but I’m interested in seeming any and all the Brevicipitidaes.

After a lot of googling, I’ve only found a couple zoos (Henry Dooley and Akron) with Madagascar Rain Frogs.

A trip to Africa is on my bucket list, but I’m hoping to see some closer to home in the meantime. I’ve got vacation days to use and frogs to see ;) Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Desert rain frogs don't breed in captivity and rarely live past 6 months as their husbandry is unknown. Though they can be purchased through online suppliers for the pet trade, they are poor display animals as they spend nearly all of their natural lives below ground.

3. SeekingFrogs

SeekingFrogs New Member

I wondered since there’s not nearly the volume of literature on them as there is on the species I know have captive breeding populations. That makes the uptick in videos of what appear to be captive desert rain frogs very sad. Thanks for letting me know.

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Chester, Birmingham Nature Centre and Valencia Bioparc have Madagascar rain frogs.

Beauval has Red rain frogs, though I don't believe they're on show. Could be wrong though.

5. SeekingFrogs

SeekingFrogs New Member

Thank you! I will add them to my list.