Join our zoo community

Where was the first meerkat exhibit and how did the meerkat craze spread?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DavidBrown, 28 Nov 2012.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’m also in that minority haha!

I’ve heard them misidentified as raccoons and lemurs but generally people are definitely aware of what they are.

Lafone likes this.
  2. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

As was mentioned earlier, meerkat were first seen in the US in 1908, but didn't start to become common until 1960s. The SSP has the first zoo birth listed as 1964, with births starting to become commonplace in the 1970s (by '73 zoo-borns began to outnumber wild-borns). There are still occasionally imports to bolster the US population, such as one from Czechia in 2013, which have boosted genetic diversity. The population is at about it's target level in AZA

AthleticBinturong and Neil chace like this.
  3. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm really glad someone took a crack at this question.

It helps to bust the myth that they owe all popularity to one film's influence. Their high activity levels alone make them a great exhibit animal - always doing something, always something to see.

Brookfield Zoo first held meerkats prior to 1974, presumably in Small Mammal House, but they were added to Baboon Island in 1978 and remained there for some time, and there is footage of them at the exhibit. The Fragile Kingdom, where their current exhibit, is located opened in 1991, although I am not sure if meerkat were there at opening. I'm fairly certain they were present within a decade.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  4. ralphthestick

ralphthestick Active Member

I don't know if this suggests anything in particular, but further to Tim's initial comment that London Zoo's first meerkat arrived in 1830 - in 1904, they had a covered outdoor enclosure built which has its own entry in the guide/number on the map (i.e. they are not one of the many inhabitants of the small mammals house or small cats house like mongooses, civets etc, but their own entity) - I don't know if that suggests that maybe they were seen as something a bit special and different that early on?

AthleticBinturong and JVM like this.
  5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Those interested in the history of meerkats in captivity should note that Frank Buckland kept the species back in the 1870s.

Buckland's experiences of keeping them are documented in his books:-

(i) Logbook of a Fisherman & Zoologist
    (ii) Notes & Jottings from Animal Life

AthleticBinturong likes this.