Join our zoo community

Which Asian Elephant Subspecies should be represented more in Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mai Thai, 11 Feb 2021.

?

Which Elephant Subspecies?

1. Bornean

22 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Indian

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Sumatran

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Sri Lankan

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!
    Which Asian Elephant subspecies would do like to se represented more in zoos. Currently there are 4 main subspecies, the Sumatran Elephant, Indian Elephant, Sri Lankan Elephant, and Bornean Elephant. There are also the Javen and Malayan Elephants but scientists have not yet declared them as a separate subspecies. If you want to please leave a comment explaining why you picked that subspecies.
    Thanks a lot,
    Mai Thai

2. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Bornean, or 'dwarf' elephants, are a subspecies that I have never seen, and sound very interesting

Mai Thai likes this.
  3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I picked Sumatran because theoretically in a perfect non-critically endangered world you could have a Sumatran section of a zoo with Sumatran Elephants, Sumatran Rhinos, Malayan Tapirs, Sumatran Tigers, Sun Bears, Sumatran Orangutans, Sumatran Surili's, Siamangs, Milky & Lesser Adjutant Storks, other Sumatran birds and a reptile section with False Gharials, Reticulated Pythons, Sumatran Pitvipers, Asian Water Monitors, etc....

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was in doubt on this one. I think both Bornean and Sumatran elephants require captive programs. I would favour Bornean program in S.E. Asia/Indonesia, Europe (I know full well they are on phase out now) and (North America) and Sumatran in Indonesia and Europe.

I voted for Sumatran subspecies in Europe given that more representative of the subspecies are held in European zoos to create a breeding population.

However/Notwithstanding this, I do believe that phasing Bornean elephants out is somewhat a nay-brainer given its conservation status in the wild and the subspecies urgently also needing a managed captive program. I believe that various European zoos have 1 true Bornean elephant individual as well as in Indonesia / Malaysia. I know Lok Kawi in Sabah should have Bornean elephant on site (correct me if I am wrong our Indonesian Zoochatters).

Mai Thai likes this.
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I have to say I wouldn't actually vote for any of these subspecies as I think elephants (whether African or Asian) are better conserved in-situ.

Mai Thai likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Given Asian Elephants are currently not breeding well in North America and are probably very slowly on their way out, I don't think trying to bring in a new subspecies is the best option. We can't keep our current population going so no point going to enormous expense trying to import a new subspecies altogether. Not to mention all the other hurdles of attempting that.

Mai Thai likes this.
  7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Out of curiosity what do you think should be done with the enclosures after these animals die and slowly fade out of North American zoos? what species should or could be housed within these ?

Is there another species which would be a good candidate for filling the vacuum left in zoos by the Asian elephant ?

Mai Thai likes this.
  8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A lot of old elephant exhibits are going to the Indian Rhinos, which are doing pretty well. I think it's a good megafauna replacement, and an endangered one at that.

9. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

Are the bloodlines kept distinct? As far as I know, most zoos do not label their Asian elephants as one subspecies or another.

Mai Thai likes this.
  10. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am afraid Europe can´t afford to keep more than 1 Asian elephant program/subspecies due to capacity constrains. The EEP already issued orders to prolong the inter-birth intervals in cows to keep number of newborn calves low. The program has not enough space to place all the young bulls produced in recent years. Due to covid-induced financial difficulties I can´t see many zoos building new elephant exhibits (or renovating old exhibits for bachelor herd after old cows die) so this situation with young bulls and reduced breeding won´t change for a long time.

Arek, Kifaru Bwana, Mai Thai and 3 others like this.
  11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Really interesting, I have to say I had no idea that the Indian rhino was so common in US zoos.

12. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

In North America Asian Elephants are all grouped together but in Europe they are SSPs for Sumatran and Mainland which includes Sri Lankan and Indian. Bornean and Hybrids are being phased out.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In Australasia, there’s 27 Asian elephants: 8.14 Indian, 0.1 Sri Lankan and 0.4 Sumatran.

AI was (unsuccessfully) carried out on the Sri Lankan cow with sperm from an Indian elephant. She, along with the Indian elephant cow she lives with, is labelled as an Asian elephant by the zoo.

The four Sumatran elephant live at one facility (Australia Zoo) and are labelled as Sumatran elephants. The zoo has previously expressed interest in import Sumatran bulls from Indonesia.
    Many of Australasia Zoo’s (three of the current holders; and a fourth likely) have plans to phase elephants out of their city zoos. Replacements haven’t been publicly announced, but Indian rhinoceros has been widely speculated.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I have to be honest I wasn't even aware that Indian rhinoceros were kept in Australian zoos.

Would you say that they are more common than the black and white rhinoceros ?

15. Zoofan15

There’s currently only one pair of Indian rhinoceros in Australasia (at Taronga Western Plains Zoo), so more holders are desperately needed.

There’s currently 4.7 South-Central black rhinoceros and 22.27 Southern white rhinoceros in Australasian zoos.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @Zoofan15 !

Somehow I am not suprised by the amount of Southern white rhinos and these being more numerous as this seems to be the case everywhere around the world.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  17. Zoofan15

You’re welcome and yeah, generally speaking Southern white rhinoceros are more suited to living in herds; as well as more tolerant of other species - who doesn’t love an multi species savannah exhibit?

18. Kifaru Bwana

The amenity of white rhino over blacks has more to do with misconceptions regarding black rhino accomodation needs and husbandry than not being able to fit in regular savannah exhibits. It seems most zoo managers are more influenced by marketing and PR concepts and conservative on this than realistic about how black rhino in savana open exhibit may work. Ebeltoft is probably one of the few leading lights doing things different. Yes, I know about their hoofstock casualty.... Port Lympne with ostrich in grasland did not work either probably size dependent. A bit like how negotiate zebra and gnu on one exhibit, question of sufficient size....

Zoofan15 likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

I saw a video showing Kufara lately and is it just me that she looks fit and full? Their calves Mesi and Pampoen have all been weaned and walk together in a separate yard!

20. Zoofan15

I think you’re right - she’s well overdue for another calf too given she and Bakhita both gave birth in 2017; and Bakhita has since had another calf. A smaller interval would also have been possible, so not sure if the zoo hasn’t announced an unsuccessful pregnancy in the interim.