Join our zoo community

Which do you prefer: Walk or Safari

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by aardvark250, 15 Jan 2017.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are two types of zoo: Walking and Non-walking.While in normal walking zoo ,you can have a higher chance to see the animals, the enclosure for animals is usually smaller than those in the Safari park.In Safari park is the opposite. So,which do you prefer, traditional zoo that rely on you foot and can see the animal longer and better,or Safari park that you can take a car and see bigger enclosure?

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I tend to prefer walking zoos. I don't drive, so I haven't been to a safari zoo for years, although I liked the fact that my father allowed a baboon handprint to stay on his car's windscreen for a few days. I prefer to see a variety of animals and tend to find that safari zoos have a relatively small number of smaller species.

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Walking. Its good for you to get out and walk a few acres once in a while :rolleyes:

4. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Though I worry about the effect of exhaust fumes on animals, safari has seemed to me been an idea wasted due to its origins. Many zoo visitors ignore or do not stay long at paddocks with smaller hoofstock, even attractive species such as oryx but cars stop for the same animals at Knowsley. Cars, monorail, boats and the like seem a better alternative to walking on foot.

5. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You never get disappointed with the sizes of the exhibits in safari parks - that's one edge they clearly have over traditional zoos. Safari parks also tend to have fairly good ungulate collections compared to traditional zoos.

Other than that, I prefer traditional zoos in most ways; you can choose your own pace (I guess you can do that in safari parks too, but if there are cars behind you, it'd be rude to randomly stop all the time), you don't need a car, you don't need someone to drive the car if you want to take pictures, traditional zoos often have bigger collections (especially when it comes to smaller animals), traditional zoos are more likely to have indoor viewing in case of bad weather etc.

We just had that thread about expensive zoo entry prices, and I find that safari parks tend to be comparatively more expensive than your average city zoo, even though safari parks often are "cheaper-looking" (i.e. many exhibits are just made by fencing off a piece of nature instead of actually building and decorating). I realize that maintaining a huge land area costs money, and that safari parks generally get fewer visitors, but that doesn't make them less expensive.

That said, I'm quite fond of the safari parks I've visited. But I'd generally choose some of the major city zoos I've visited over them.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I drive, but I would prefer walking in a zoo. Never been on a safari in a zoo though. :)

7. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hate sitting in traffic jams, I much prefer walking around a zoo. I also like to see a plenty of birds and I enjoy houses such as small mammal and invertebrate houses which are generally found in zoos.

SealPup likes this.
  8. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any zoo is a good zoo to me, as long as the animals are well cared for.

Nikola Chavkosk and SealPup like this.