Join our zoo community

Which EDGE mammal interests you more: The golden rumped Sengi or the Asiatic elephant ? (poll)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 10 Feb 2021.

?

Which EDGE mammal interests you more: The golden rumped Sengi or the Asiatic elephant ? (poll)

Poll closed 20 Feb 2021.
  1. Asiatic elephant

42.3%
  2. Golden rumped sengi

57.7%
  1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Another poll in a series for zoochatters to vote for one of two EDGE mammal species. This time decidedly of an elephantine theme and little vs large, the golden rumped sengi / elephant shrew and the Asiatic elephant.

Despite the drastic size difference both are mammals within the superorder "Afrotheria" , both animals have rather large and dexterous noses and have elephant within their name and lastly both are listed as endangered by the IUCN.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which of these mammal species interests you most / will you vote for ?

Please also feel free to write comments regarding why you made the choice and why the species you have voted for interests you more.

Thanks !

Look forward to seeing the results!

Photo credits to @Tim May and @robreintjes.

robreintjes likes this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

@Tim May was also wondering whether you would share your memories of photographing the sengi pictured in the thread ?

Tim May likes this.
  3. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Obviously I had to vote for the sengi for two relatively important reasons. First of all I really do like not only just the appearance and ecology of the sengi itself, but also on how surprising it is for such a small (yet charming) mammal to be so distantly related to such a rather larger species in form of the elephant. Whilst the other reason that I voted was because I really do wish that elephant shrews would be just be a little bit more common in zoos (mainly North America) for not only how unique and relatively diverse (species wise) they are, but also because that many species of elephant shrew may sadly go the way of the dodo if we don’t properly intervene and thus we have to protect them and their habitats somehow as well as the fact that I have yet to see one in person no matter what. And as a way for me to conclude this post, I would just like to say that no matter how strange and obscure a species may be, it is always better off be protected and saved as well as the species we are all familiar with as well.

- Austin the Sengi

4. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Usually on these threads, I vote for the animal less seen in zoos for obvious reasons, but this time, I just had to go with the elephant. Elephants have, for the most part, always been my favorite animal, and I know that sounds bland but they're just so interesting. Their social structures, their emotions, their memories, their intelligence. I mean they just are such incredible animals.

5. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Alrighty, I personally think that Golden-rumped Sengis are much more Charismatic and Interesting to me, and I too have a certain bias towards Sengis though I can't say their my absolute favorite, Normal shrews are interesting to me too. The Golden-rumped sengi has a stunning appearance, and I would almost have a heart attack If I was able to see one. I have seen Black-and-rufous elephant shrews and they are engaging and fascinating little critters. Asian elephants, (while under threat) are more well-known and have larger Conservation programs and world recognition, this Doesn't mean more Conservation measures can't Be given to the Sengi, but at this moment, they aren't as prominent as other Endangered species.

The Defining features make me intrigued to the Sengi a lot more, and on a scale 1 to ten of either one I would most certainly say the Golden-rumped sengi as a 10. Being the Largest of the elephant shrews, I would also honestly say in captivity this animal would be super engaging to guest, (although that's just my view). Asian elephants and the Ivory trade is a staggering problem, but keep in mind we know very little about the Golden-rumped elephant shrew and if we continue to undermine species like this one we might not have this beautiful creature in the Future.

Also juveniles of this species have to be adorable. ;) What can I say? I'm a sucker for small Insectivores!

But in conclusion, Golden-rumped elephant shrews shall be much more of a priority to conserve in my book, and numbers are expected to go down unless if more people take action to protect this Gem of Kenya.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

The photograph of the golden-rumped elephant shrew was taken about thirty years ago in the Grzimek House at Frankfurt Zoo.

I was very excited to see this animal as I've always been interested in elephant shrews and I'd never seen this particular species before.

I recall that it was a very elusive creature, that spent most of the time out of sight, so I needed to return to the exhibit numerous times, on two consecutive days, before I eventually saw the elephant shrew in a suitable position for photography.

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

By definion, EDGE species are endangered species that are evolutionary distinct with few close relatives; consequently I think all the EDGE species are extremely interesting so I always find it very hard to answer such questions.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've always been interested in elephant shrews and was very excited to see the golden-rumped species in Frankfurt Zoo. And many years later, I've still never seen another individual of the species.

I tend to agree with "MonkeyBat" here and would normally vote for the species least commonly seen in zoos as that is the one I'd be most interested to see.

Nevertheless, in this instance, fascinating as golden-rumped elephant shrews undoubtedly are, I had to vote for Asiatic elephant as elephants have always been favourites of mine.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2021
  8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for sharing @Austin the Sengi !

This is interesting as I've always wondered why you feel an affinity for the sengi.

Totally agree, I think that it is fascinating that the sengis are far more closely related to elephants than they are to shrews or rodents, it is quite mind blowing actually.

I do think that the golden rumped sengi in particular is extremely close to extinction and I cannot see people being so concerned about its plight as people evidently are by the Asiatic elephant which I highly doubt will ever go totally extinct with all of the conservation intervention towards the species.

Personally I am really fascinated by the sengis and find them both really endearing and curious which is one of the reasons along with the worsening conservation status of the species that I voted for Rhynchocyon chrysopygus.

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @MonkeyBat !

No wrong or right answers on this thread so just go with what you feel so it is great you feel the affinity for the elephant.

They are indeed very interesting and complex animals.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing and your vote @CheeseChameleon2007 !

Totally agree that the golden rumped sengi is in the shadows and at risk of being neglected by conservation efforts and that it is important to raise the profile of this species and if not make it as charismatic as an Asian elephant then at least make it more well known and a little more charismatic.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for sharing @Tim May ! Much appreciated!

I was really pleasantly suprised when I found this photo in the gallery as I wasn't aware that this species had ever been kept by zoos.

You have certainly seen some remarkably rare species over the years Tim !

Given its worsening conservation status I do think that the golden rumped sengi could benefit from a presence in zoo ex-situ programes.

No problem, there are no wrong or right answers in this thread so your vote for the elephant is valid.

:)

12. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

Asiatic elephant, behind Gorillas, orangutans, chimps and bonobos elephants are my favorite animal (trust me, 5th place on my massive list of favorite animas is actually pretty good :)) so I'll have to pick the Asiatic elephant here.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment @LowlandGorilla4 !

What about the Asiatic elephant do you find interesting ?

14. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member

I voted for the golden-rumped sengi.

I guess I saw my first sengi in the mid-1990s in Hellabrunn, the short-eared and the only species of sengi that I knew of at that time. Somewhere during the 1990s I bought a book about rainforests on a book market and it had a drawing of a set-up of animals of the African forest floor. Next to Goliath frog and a small species of antelope among others, there was a giant sengi. It amazed me, such a strange mammal. It took years for seeing it in live, the black-and-rufous in 2011 in Rotterdam. Very intriguing animal. I have seen it now a couple of times in Rotterdam and later on in Antwerpen en Bronx Zoo.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment and vote @AWP ! Much appreciated !

I think they are such engaging small mammals and really very charismatic too, as far as I can remember I have never actually seen a sengi in captivity and definitely haven't in the wild though I have seen taxidermy specimens in museums.

I think the shorteared sengi is the most commonly kept sengi in captivity isn't it ? or at least it appears that this species is kept by a number of European and North American zoos.

The giant sengi is an intriguing animal, it is amazing how these early encounters with animals in things like books during childhood shape our perceptions of species isn't it ?

The black and rufous elephant shrew is a beautiful and striking looking sengi and I know this is kept by a number of zoos too but I do wonder why the golden rumped sengi hasn't been established in captivity given how endangered it is.

The Sacramento zoo in the USA apparently support in-situ efforts for the species in Kenya, however, I'm not aware of any other zoos doing this and certainly not any that actively keep the species.

AWP and Austin the Sengi like this.
  16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Very interesting to see that the elephant and the elephant shrew are currently on a tie , I wouldn't have expected this before.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Looks like the sengi won this poll, which was quite a pleasant suprise for me.

Here are some videos of the golden rumped sengi to celebrate the victory of this species in the poll.

A golden rumped sengi in the wild in Kenya:

A bizarre slow motion video of a golden rumped sengi on a leash taking a human for a walk / run:

The Cassowary likes this.