Join our zoo community

Which Exhibit in Columbus should be first on the remodel list?

Discussion in 'United States' started by cwenwyn, 1 Nov 2009.

1. cwenwyn

cwenwyn Well-Known Member

I was just reading Geomorh's review of the Columbus zoo and thinking about some of the older exhibits. Which exhibit is the most badly in need of a remodel (or demolition) in Columbus?

My vote is for the penguins. I'm assuming they will get much better accomodations when the Polar frontier area opens up, but this is the saddest exhibit to me.

Opinions?

Last edited: 1 Nov 2009
  2. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Islands of Southeast Asia could use a revamp, maybe North America too

3. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

First off, old is the wrong word to use. The only exhibits older than 20 years are parts of North America and the Lion exhibit. In fact, most of the zoo was renovated or built since 1998 (Pachyderms, Reptiles, Manatee Coast, African Forest, Habitat Hollow, Islands of SE Asia, Australia, Water's Edge, Asia Quest). We are no doubt one of the "youngest" (or possibly the "youngest") zoo in North America.

Second, along with the completion of Polar Frontier and African Savannah several areas will be renovated or constructed. These include the North American Bear Yards, the Rhino Yards, the South Side Elephant Yard, the Lion Exhibit, and the construction of a Shores Park.

@cwenwyn - The penguin exhibit is only 13 years old and recently the indoor exhibit received a makeover, complete with a new floor.

4. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Once the lions move to African Savannah, there current exhibit could be renovated to house numerous things (amur leopard, clouded leopard, snow leopard, sumatran tiger and dhole all spring to mind)

5. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The lion exhibit seems o be the best candidate. I'd use the space to add more Asian animals to the closest themed area. If not more predators as mentioned, then maybe some tapirs.