Join our zoo community

Which species are these?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by andreash, 1 Apr 2018.

1. andreash

andreash Member

I am making a list of all species of mammals I have seen in the wild. However, there are some of the animals I have seen I am a bit unsure of which species they are (even if I have a couple of suggestions). Maybe some of you can help me?
    One of the anilopes is from Mikumi in Tanzania and the other two pictures are from Masai mara and the Pictures of the squirrel and the mongooses are from Samburu in Kenya.

Attached Files:

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The mongooses are Dwarf Mongooses. The Squirrel could be an Unstriped Ground Squirrel (but I can't be sure without my books).

:p

Hix

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Yes, Unstriped Ground Squirrel. And I think both the antelopes are Bohor Reedbucks.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Hmmm... the first two photos (which are the same) may be a Bohor Reedbuck, the third and fourth photos look like a female impala. But the photos don't show enough for me to commit.

:p

Hix

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Picture 3+4 indeed show a female impala.

LaughingDove likes this.
  6. andreash

andreash Member

Thanks for your help!
    I have thought it was unstriped ground squirrel. And I also think it is a dwarf mongoose, but do you know if it seems to be common dwarf mongoose or could it be ethiopian dwarf mongoose?
    It also seems like some of the pictures of antilopes are photoes of bohors reedbuck, maybe all. But I doubt any of them are impalas.

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Based on the coloration (rufous not grey overall) they should be Common dwarf mongoose.

Picture 1+2 are 100% Bohor reedbuck. Picture 3+4 are of rather bad quality, but based on pelage color and the fact that there is black on top of the head (and on picture 3 even some visible on the tail) it certainly looks like a female impala... Reedbuck and Impala would be the only real options (Masai Mara it was ?) and the black on the pelage pretty much rules out the reedbuck.

8. andreash

andreash Member

• Yes, it was in Masai Mara and the quality of the photoes makes it hard. I agree that the black make it a bit difficult. I just thought that the the general pelage color is too dark to be an impala and also
      the pelage
      seeems to be too long to me and I would also have thought it would be dark stripes back, not just a dot. But maybe you are right.

9. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It definitely is an impala, I've seen some very dark individuals.