Join our zoo community

Which zoo has the best walkthrough kangaroo exhibit?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Austin the Sengi, 22 Oct 2020.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I know this may be a little debatable but I just wanted to post this question here before I forget to make sure I know what you guys think is the best walkthrough kangaroo exhibit in a zoo.Sure almost all walkthrough exhibits for kangaroos are pretty underwhelming,but of course there has to be at least one exhibit that stands out from the rest.So again you just let me know on which zoo has the best walkthrough kangaroo exhibit.

~Austin the Sengi

Last edited: 22 Oct 2020
  2. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

To the ones I've been too Moonlit wins by an unfathomable amount. It's not soley for Kangaroos however, it has wallabys and pademelons as well.

It's large like most walkthroughs are but unlike most walkthroughs, it perfectly matches the habitat of it's residents instead of placing them in an open field. While the habitat dosen't particuarly match the KI roos, it matches for the Victorian coastal species in the walkabout with shaded, broken forest littered with decaying trees which is the perfect habitat for wallabys.

3. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

The San Diego Safari Park and Werribee Open Range Zoo would be in the mix. I’ve never visited Moonlit Sanctuary, so I can’t compare them.

The Safari Park’s is beautifully designed, and Werribee’s is really natural and has a heap of space.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  4. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I concur with @Jambo about Walkabout Australia at San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Having visited multiple times this year alone, it’s fantastic walk and can be done relatively quick. Easily traversed and even though most of the kangaroos and wallabies will stay clear of people, they will occasionally come up to investigate you then go about their day. Not only do they have wallabies and kangaroos, but also magpie geese and radjah shelducks amongst them. There’s a man made running stream and a few benches along the walkway, I recommend that anyone takes a break and just take in the view near the mid point. Plus it doesn’t hurt that right next to the walkway, there is the infamous platypuses as well as tree kangaroos and cassowaries ;)

Jambo likes this.
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Moonlit Sanctuary is basically one big macropod walk-through. Some photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a Tammar Wallaby at Moonlit within the Wallaby Walk:

[​IMG]

6. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Out of the ones I have seen, I like Currumbin's macropod complex in particular. It consists of three separate walkthrough enclosures; one for Red Kangaroo, one for Eastern Grey Kangaroo and the final one is for some smaller species (Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby, Red-necked Wallaby, Swamp Wallaby, Tammar Wallaby and Red-legged Pademelon).

Eastern Grey Kangaroo Enclosure:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wallaby Walkthrough:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jungle Man likes this.
  7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether you are looking at a specific continental perspective on this, but given that exhibits in Australia and North America have already been mentioned, let me add one from Europe to the discussion.

Personally I really like the Australian walk-through paddock at Zoo Parc Overloon in the Netherlands. Photos of it can be found in the gallery, including some made and posted by myself, like the ones linked below. That exhibit houses red kangaroo, red-necked wallaby and swamp wallaby as well as emu, black swan and Cape Barren goose. Dromedary camels are kept in a separate paddock nearby.

Australian Outback walk-through exhibit, 2019-08-11 - ZooChat
    Australian Outback - Dromedary camel paddock and walk-through exhibit, 2019-08-11 - ZooChat
    Australian Outback - Dromedary camel paddock and walk-through exhibit, 2019-08-11 - ZooChat

8. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I very much enjoy the Australian walkabout at the Living Desert. It is an aviary and wallaby walkthrough with an amazing rock wall for the other wallabies that aren't in the walkabout. It also has a nice emu exhibit and a restaurant.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member

I think the best macropod walk-through is Australia.

10. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Don't forget, macropod means bigfoot. I see trough all the goverents lies. They hide all the bigfoot in down under.

11. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member