Join our zoo community

Which Zoo Has the Most...?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by AnaheimZoo, 21 Apr 2012.

1. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Hello, fellow members of ZooChat worldwide. I'm hoping that your experiences and knowledge of zoos can help me out, along with any other members who decide to post questions of their own on this thread. I haven't found a thread regarding this topic, yet, so forgive me if there already is one out there. I've seen threads asking where the only places to see a certain species are, and what species are no longer exhibited in such zoos, but I have not seen a thread asking which zoos have the most animals from a certain family. I do not have many opportunities to visit zoos outside of my region, and many zoos' websites aren't specific enough for me to do species list comparisons, so any sharing of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Now for starters (I mean, I could ask which zoo has the most of every family in existence, but I've got a few ones that I'm really itching to know).

Which zoo has the most:
    -species of ungulates (even-toed and odd-toed)?
    -species of felids?
    -species of primates?
    -species of Birds of Prey (yes, I'm aware it isn't technically a family)?
    -species of cranes?
    -species of storks?
    -species of crocodilians?

Thank you for reading.

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

http://www.zoochat.com/22/best-us-zoo-collection-taxa-259562/
    Cincy
    Felines-Arabian sand cat, Black-footed cat, Bobcat, cheetah, clouded leopard, cougar, fishing cat, Malayan tiger, Pallas' cat, Southern Brazilian ocelot, Siberian lynx, snow leopard, Southeast African lion, Texas ocelot, tiger(white).
    Invertebrates
    -Beetles-Beetles: American Burying Beetle, Blue Death Feigning Beetle, Red-lined Darkling Beetle, Emerald beetle, Flamboyant flower beetle, Hercules beetle, Magnificent Flower Beetle, Jade-Headed Buffalo Beetle, Sunburst diving beetle, Taxi-Cab Beetle, Tin-Foil Beetle, Yellow-bellied beetle.
    -Cockroaches-Bat Cave cockroach, Green-Leaf Cockroach, Madagascar hissing cockroach, Zebra Bug.
    -East African Whipscorpion, Emperor scorpion, Giant desert hairy scorpion, Vinegaroon, Water Scorpion.
    -Black Widow, Spiders-Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater, Brown recluse spider, Cave Whip Spider Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, Goliath bird-eater Tarantula, Golden Silk-spider, Mexican Red-knee Tarantula, Togo Starburst Tarantula
    -Walking sticks-Australian Walking Stick, Giant Jumping Stick, Giant Walking Stick, Giant Spiny Stick Insect.
    Monitors: Ackies dwarf, green tree, quince, crocodile, Savannah, white-throated, blue tree, black tree, Komodo dragon, and ornate.
    Rattlesnakes: Aruba island, Eastern diamondback, western diamondback, Mexican west coast, timber, Yucatan neotropical rattlesnakes.

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

St Augustine Alligator Farm has Newport Aquarium beat by a long shot in the crocodilian department, displaying all 32 of the commonly recognized species of crocodilian.

4. AnaheimZoo

@Moebelle- Argh! I knew there was one already out there.

Anyone have exact species numbers for other zoos?

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

crocodilians - St Augustine Alligator Farm (USA)
    cranes - San Antonio Zoo (USA)
    felines - Le Parc Des Felins (France)

6. condor

condor Well-Known Member

to summarise that thread:

-Halls Gap Zoo (Victoria, Australia) = Marsupials.
    -Tierpark Berlin (Germany) = Hyaenas.
    -Le Parc Des Felins (France) = Cats.
    -San Diego Zoo (California, USA)/Berlin Zoo (Germany) = Bears, perhaps.
    -Pilsen Zoo (Czech Republic) = Rodents.
    -Dvur Kralove (Czech Republic) = Hoofstock, perhaps.
    -Japan Monkey Centre (Japan) = Primates.
    -Duke Primate Centre (North Carolina, USA)/Tsimbazaza Zoo (Madagascar) = Lemurs.
    -Toba Aquarium = Pinnipeds, perhaps.

-Jurong Birdpark (Singapore) = Birds overall.
    -Loro Parque (Tenerife, Spain) = Parrots.
    -Prague Zoo (Czech Republic) = Laughingtrushes.
    -Dallas World Aquarium (Texas, USA) = Toucans.
    -Dallas World Aquarium (Texas, USA) = Hummingbirds, perhaps.
    -Vida Silvestre (Mexico) = Cracids.
    -Blackbrook Zoo (England) = Ducks and geese.
    -World Owl Centre (England) = Owls, perhaps.

-Tula Exotarium (Tula, Russia) = Reptiles overall and snakes.
    -American International Rattlesnake Museum (Albuquerque, USA) = Rattlesnakes.
    -St Augstine Alligator Farm (Florida, USA) = Crocodiles. Crocodile Zoo (Denmark) just behind.

7. condor

condor Well-Known Member

How many do they have? Walsrode (Germany) has all species except whooping and sandhill (they used to also have sandhill).

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I would say Walsrode has a much bigger [and perhaps (arguably) better] bird collection than Jurong (I haven't been to Walsrode, but it seems likely)

9. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Walsrode was 2010, last time Jurong in 2009. Both have experianced big fluctuations in number of bird species over the last 15 years (e.g. Walsrode got many new Asian species in connection with EXPO-2000 Indonesia rainforest hall opening). My last visits left me with the impression of Jurong above Walsrode in species number. I could easily be wrong :p. Rereading the thread my last post was a summary of I see both Walsrode and Jurong are mentioned. No matter who has most species, quality of collection is another discussion.......

10. Chlidonias

Zooish says in http://www.zoochat.com/266/question-205736/ (March 2011) "Record keeping hasn't been Jurong's strong point. They've recently updated their collection as 4600 birds, 380 species, down sharply from the 8000 birds and 600 species they've been stating for the past decade."

Zootierliste has Walsrode's current inventory as 736 species (I think that may include some mammals but I don't believe they have many of those)

(I just looked both of those totals up, so I guess Walsrode does have a bigger collection than Jurong!)

11. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walsrode has more species (listed as 675 in their website) and a higher quality bird collection (in terms of variety and rarity) than Jurong. Jurong claims to have the largest bird population, which stands at 5,000 individual birds currently (versus Walsrode's 4,200).

12. condor

condor Well-Known Member

Thanks, Walsrode firmly in the lead then. It places Jurong below bird species at Pilsen Zoo (about 500) and about the same as San Diego, Tierpark Berlin.

Found this on Walsrode´s page Weltvogelpark Walsrode | Weltvogelpark

675 species. Walsrode has very few mammal species. On my visits in the last decade the most I remember on display at any one time are 3 mammal species. The larger difference between Zootierliste and the number on Walsrode´s page is probably because Zootierliste has subspecies (a species can be listed twice if they have more than one subspecies).

13. Chlidonias

that would it explain it then. I just looked at the total listed on the site (I'm not dedicated enough to count them up from the actual list :D)

14. condor

condor Well-Known Member

It's probably between Walsrode and San Diego. It used to be Walsrode but I guess San Diego are ahead today, at least if combining the zoo and animal park.

15. Dicerorhinus

Dicerorhinus Well-Known Member

They exhibit all 23 species (many rather disapointingly)

16. AnaheimZoo

I will check for myself, but if anyone who knows the answer sees this post before I'm done researching, could you give me the exact number of species? Thank you.

17. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

International Crane Foundation in Wisconsin has all the crane species.

Would San Diego qualify with hornbills?
    And who has the most penguin species? Sea World San Diego?

18. condor

condor Well-Known Member

They are missing grey crowned according to globalspecies.org that is based on ISIS from May 2011. Still in the lead. Based on the same source, San Antonio lacks 5 species (common, sarus, brolga, Siberian, black-necked), behind both Int. Crane Foundation and Walsrode.

Probably, at least if counting zoo and wildlife park together. Nearest contender is Jurong.

A search says they have 7 with emperor, king, Magellanic, Humboldt, adelie, gentoo and macaroni. Wakayama Adventure World in Japan also has 7 with emperor, king, jackass, adelie, gentoo, chinstrap and rockhopper (not sure what rockhopper species).

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Faunia (Madrid) also has 7 - King, Adelie, Chinstrap, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Magellanic and Humboldt.

20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most extensive hoofstock collection could be Tierpark Berlin, Dvur or possibly San Diego WAP? Dvur kralove will win when dealing to the most extensive antelope collection.