Join our zoo community

Which zoo(s) keep(s)...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sun Wukong, 25 May 2008.

1. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Reg: Red Colobus. Frankfurt Zoo tried to keep Red and Green Colobus species a few decades ago, but had no success.

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Does any zoo keep red howlers?
    I've seen photos of them and I think they're really beautiful animals.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

According to ISIS Bolivian red howler there is 1.0 at Fundacao Zoo-Botan. de Belo Horizonte in Brazil and Venezuelan red howler 17.22 total captive population.

4. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross used to keep both red and black howlers but had a lot more success with the latter.

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Am sure they still have a few, visited end of may and am sure I saw a couple of groups (small groups thou, no more than 2 or 3 in each)

6. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I only saw a small group (with a youngster) of Black Howlers at Twycross in the enclosure near to the aardwolf. Didn't see any reds, but I remember seeing them there in the late 90's.

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Red howlers are kept at the Cologne Zoo, a rather large group with multiple births this year allready. They should sent out some to increase genetic viability but sofar they haven't.

Twycross kept a pair of another subspecies untill very recently, but they have disappeared from ISIS so something might have happened with them. In the US, i believe only the Dallas Aquarium keeps a smaller group (same sps as Cologne).

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jersey have attempted to keep Volcano Rabbits twice. The first import was in 1968. Gerald Durrell imported wild caught Volcano Rabbits and Thick-billed Parrots to Jersey. He also collected several Horned Guans but was told they could not leave the country, as the Mexican government had plans for a captive breeding project of their own.

The first captive birth took place in 1969 when a female was born, but the colony soon died out.

A second importation occurred in 1979 whith the arrival of 7.8, 2.0 died leaving 5.8 at the end of the year. These were re-sexed in 1980 as 6.7 and they all died, being replaced by 2.3.

In 1981 1.2 died and the trust were left with 1.1. This remaining pair had 0.2 young in 1982 and 1.2 young in 1983. 0.1 died in 1983 leaving the trust with 2.4. 1.0 died in 1984 and 2.0 were born, 1.0 did not survive, so the total on 31st December 1984 was still 2.4.

1985 was a good year with the birth of 4.0.1. Also in 1985 2.0 died leaving 5.3.1 at the zoo.

0.1.1 were born in 1986 with the unsexed baby dying. 1.3.1 adults died and the year's end total was 4.1

2.2 were imported in 1987 but 1.1 died and there were no births. 5.2 were held on 31st December 1987.

1.1 died during 1988 leaving 4.1

In 1989 I visited Jersey Zoo and saw the Volcano Rabbits in the nocturnal house. I can't find my annual reports from 1989 so I can't say when the remainder died at the moment. However there was no more breeding.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2008
  9. Rachnos

Rachnos Well-Known Member

I think that Chalpultepec zoo in Mexico is breeding volcano rabbits.

10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which zoos keep Resplendent Quetzal and Black-and-yellow Broadbill?

Both are my favorite critters. ;)

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought someone in Mexico had volcano rabbits, but I thought it was a university.

12. Fodders

Fodders Well-Known Member

somewhere in central america kepps th quetzal I think

13. Sun Wukong

Which zoos or rather, aquariums keep

-Ocean sunfish Ocean Sunfish
    -Manta Rays
    ?

I know of respectively the Monterey Bay ("just" sunfish), the Oceanario in Portugal, different Japanese aquariums (Okinawa, Osaka...), but maybe some of You know of other examples...

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Barcelona aquarium in Spain keeps ocean sunfish in their oceanarium tank
    L'AQUARIUM BARCELONA: Submergeix-te a la MediterrĂ nia

15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any zoo outside their range keeps bornean clouded leopards? I think all are mainland form.

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just saw the sunfish in Monterey Bay Aquarium's "Outer Bay" exhibit, and added with the hammerheads, tuna, sea turtle and barracuda they make an interesting combination. Such bizarre looking creatures...

17. kiglezi

kiglezi Active Member

I dont know about elsewhere in Central America but there surely is about a dozen places in Mexico that house Resplendent Quetzal, but most of these would probably not fall under the zoo category as the majority is unfortunely in the hands of private people.

But several collections housing this species is acctually open for public (at let some periods of the year) so this species can easily be seen in captivity in several places around Mexico City. One of the most well known is probably, Vida Silvestre, I did visit this place in 2006 and he had 4 pairs at the moment, less no I believe and he has been succesful in breeding it in the past.

The Resplendent Quetzal incloaser at Vila Silvestra

Webshots-Grand Opening Special: Enter code SAVE25 at checkout and save 25% on your order!

The Vida Silvestre is also the worlds largest breeding facility of currasows and guans, for those that want to know more about Vida Silvestre.

Look at this Vida Silvestre pictures and videos on Webshots

18. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I believe that the Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita, KS also has Queztal...it is mentioned on their website.

19. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

SDWAP has golden-headed quetzals, but I didn't think there were any resplendant quetzals in any zoos outside their native range.

20. Sun Wukong

@Jurek7: Bornean Clouded Leopards have been kept in some zoos, f.e. in Singapore, in the past, but not today, as far as I know.