Join our zoo community

Which zoo(s) keep(s)...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sun Wukong, 25 May 2008.

1. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Spain " L´Oceanografic" in Valencia keep sun fishes (Mola mola) too.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

OK what about moles? Do any zoos keep them and if so, how?

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are they babies or something larger, San Deigo Seaworld have a few too :cool:

4. Chlidonias

I've seen the documentary on the creation of the Valencia aquarium, and there was a scene of the young sunfish being caught. A s I recall, they were trapped in a huge seine net or something similar (with a lot of other fish) and free-divers were simply going into the water and bringing the sunfish to the boat by hand. Very interesting. I think the documentary was called "The World's Largest Aquarium" or something along those lines

5. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

The Georgia Aquarium just got a Manta Ray from an aquarium in South Africa. The Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas used to have one until it got to big for its tank and was released.

6. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Are there any African palm civets in captivity anywhere?

I saw them at Poznan in the mid 90s, and I believe there was one in Hiroshima. Also i have seen at a zoo in Tanzania, but I wouldn't have put its life expectation too high judging by its living consitions.

I can't find any on ISIS.

7. Chlidonias

this was a good thread so just thought I'd bump it. Anyone know of zoos that have kept or do keep moles or golden moles (and how they're displayed)?

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There's still one at (New) Poznan - it was still there in September at any rate. It was curled up asleep on a ledge all day and we only got a few glimpses of (parts of) its head but a very nice thing to see.

9. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any zoos in Europe with White-lipped(Mountain) Tapir. I have seen them at LA zoo and I they have bred them, but I do not know of any this side of the Atlantic

10. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Are there any zoos left with hirola antelope?

11. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I believe the last Hirola in captivity died in Florida, but I could be wrong on that.

12. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are no mountains tapirs in Europe, the very last of its kind died in 1997 in Stuttgart Zoo, the last hirola in Europe died 28.11.1981 in Zoo Dvur Kralove, they have had the only breeding group in Europe, the last hirola worldwide died in Brownswille, USA, I think about 2002.

13. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

...at the moment. Just wait for the LA transfer to Cologne...

@Jakub: Zlin? Nice zoo.

14. Jakub

I´m not sure about the mountain tapir, on the german forum is said, the the american zoos will have been focused on Bairdś and malayan tapirs and european zoos at lowland tapirs. no mentions about mountain tapirs, I think, it is not good idea to bring mountain tapirs in Europe, with only one animal , it is better to establish breeding population in USA and focuse at IN-SITU programmes in South America.
    If somebody wants to get knowledge of mountain tapir, try this contact: [email protected].

15. Sun Wukong

@Jakub: A lot of things are narrated at tiergarten.com, where You already mentioned Your email address and Your personal involvement with the capture of Mountain Tapirs.

Judging from what I heard in person from the staff in both LA and Cologne, the transfer seems to be a done deal. And why shouldn't a few European and American march to a slightly different drummer and try to keep an ex-situ Mountain tapir population alive while still supporting in-situ projects? The zoo individuals may be closely related, but that's also the case in various other zoo species which are nevertheless bred and kept.

16. Jakub

@Sun Wukong, you are right, that lot of animals are closely releated in european zoos, such onagers, mesopotamian fallow deers, gaurs, bush pigs etc., but in american zoos has been established a population of mountain tapirs for years, it would been a risk to import such rare animal for a long distance, Stuttgart zoo have tryied to import a male from L.A. years ago, but the animal have died during the transport.
    In addition, it is an expensive thing to import the animals, Cologne zoo search for momeny this time, to built new enclouser for hippos and crocodilles, so I am not supposed they get a mountain tapir in nearly future, in addition, they have built a new tapir enclouser recently and keep a young pair lowland tapirs with hope to breed.

17. Sun Wukong

@Jakub: Once again-I have talked with one of the curators at LA Zoo about the transfer this october, and he confirmed it. Also see Mario's posts on this at the LA threads.

I know of the male that died in the 1990s, but it seems that back then the transport company seems to have been partly responsible there. Besides, accidents do happen-but they should not serve as a reason to outrule something - unless they occur in unusual frequency...The risk is as big and as small as in other animal imports.

The US Mountain Tapir population is small, closely related and, as mentioned before, going to be phased out by most institutions. If LA wants to hold on to them and cooperates with Cologne to find a place for their offspring, then why not? The costs for the Hippodom (IF it is built at all) don't seem to deter Cologne Zoo from other projects (like new enclosures for their Doucs and lemurs and a Douc male from Singapore) on the long run. And as for the young lowland tapir: there are plenty of zoos in Europe already keeping the species; there shouldn't be a problem to find a zoo taking it.

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I recently uploaded a couple of very average photos I took in 1984 of both species of Picathartes. They're in the Frankfurt Zoo gallery.

:)

Hix

19. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thnx Hix

And about the tapir situation. As far as i know Cologne keeps only one male south american tapir and if the mountain tapir arrives, that male will be phased out. Hopefully they will be able to do something usefull with the male, besides just keeping and showing it... At least it cleares up space at LA for hopefully another youngster...

20. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry for the delay, had not seen your message ... the sun-fishes that L'Oceanografic keeps are now quite large, I would say that adults.