Join our zoo community

Which zoo(s) keep(s)...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sun Wukong, 25 May 2008.

1. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Do any zoo's keep pileated woodpeckers?

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I think Minnesota Zoo has or had them in their Minnesota Trail exhibit.

3. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Which zoos presently keep manatees or dugongs? Are they housed in imaginative conditions? I remember seeing manatees at Artis in 1990. I didn't like their abode, which I considered to be far too small for them, but I loved the animals themselves. They were the highlight of my trip.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Sydney Aquarium has a pair of dugong.

Back in the 80's I saw manatee at Antwerp and Nurnberg, but don't know if they still have them.

:p

Hix

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As far as i know, Syndey Aquarium and at least one Aquarium in Japan (Toba) holds Dugong. Carribbean manatees are kept in multiple zoos in Europe and the States. For the European holders, see zootierliste and for the US holders, see ISIS.

African manatees have recently been exported to at least one aquarium (Toba again) in Japan, and some in China as well...

7. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo, Cincinnati Zoo and Dallas World Aquarium all have manatees on exhibit.

8. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

There's also a Dugong at Underwater World, Singapore, and apparently another at Sea World in Indonesia.
    West African Manatees are also transient exhibits in a few West African Zoos - I'm not sure how many permanently display them though.
    Amazonian Manatees are kept in various centres across the Amazon Basin; many are rescue centres, but there are also breeding centres at least in Brazil and Guyana. I visited Bosque da Ciencia in Manaus, Brazil, last summer, and found the manatees to be displayed in groups in several cylindrical pools (about 8 metres across?) Not very imaginitive, but the primary function of the place is as a research institute.
    West Indian Manatees are kept in several more European & US zoos and aquaria (zootierliste & ISIS might help you), as well as in Colombia, Guyana, Japan and Singapore.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Which Zoo Keep

Having just downloaded the catalogue of the Knowsley Sale [see above] it looks as though Lord Derby bred the Irish Hare freely nearly 200 years ago, as 24 home-bred examples are listed for sale. Wild Rabbits and Hares are I believe considered 'difficult' captive subjects.

10. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Adult wild lagomorphs have a deserved reputation for being difficult captive subjects (extremely prone to stress), but not if hand-reared. With adult rabbits and hares, the disease coccidiosis can be a serious problem, but several proprietary food mixtures contain a coccidiostat. Wish more zoos would keep non-domestic lagomorphs.

11. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sea World Orlando and San Diego used to exhibit manatees, but at least one (if not both) facilities was asked to return theirs to the US government--not sure why.

Lowry Park (Tampa) also has a group of rehab manatees

12. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have Helmet Vanga Euryceros prevostii ever been kept in captivity? None on ISIS or ztl

13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I think that the only vanga species kept captive outside Madagascar is the sickle-billed. Would be worthing to investigate captive vangas at local Madagascan zoos - especially the blue vanga, one of my most favourite birds ever.

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Brookfield has them.

15. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can’t think of any European Zoo that exhibits Bengal tigers

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right, and this surprises me a lot. According to ZTL (that for a big, mediatic species like tiger is accurate and updated), no less than 95 european zoos kept nominate subspecies of tiger in the past, but none of them keep now.

I guess that maybe, some of the roughly 150 zoos that keep just tiger without mention of the subspecies, keep indeed bengal tiger, but they just label them as for species level only.

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Nope - there genuinely are no Bengal Tigers in captivity within European collections, or indeed any collections outside south Asia. Moreover I suspect it is very likely that a fair few of the former holdings listed for the subspecies on ZTL were of muddy descent, given how many collections continue to insist they hold Bengal Tigers now based on such muddy lineages.

The last true Bengal Tiger in Europe died at Bristol Zoo in 1985, to the best of my knowledge.

18. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Curious to know! Thanks for the info Dave :)

19. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are Benegal Tigers at Australia Zoo.

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There are hybrid tigers at Australia Zoo.

pipaluk, ShonenJake13, Mehdi and 2 others like this.