Join our zoo community

Which zoos to visit?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ara, 14 Jun 2007.

1. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

I intend to retire soon, and in retirement I intend to visit Britain.
    I've never been there, but I understand that there are some wonderful zoos and bird gardens.

As this forum seems to have a large and enthusiastic membership in Britain, I wonder if some of you kind people would advise me?

Which zoos ( and/or bird parks) should I Visit?
    Give me a list of 5 or 6 and tell me why?

Thanks so much.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

chester?.......

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

It depends, Do you like birds? If you do then Blackbrook is just brill and then Peter scott's WWT centres are Certainly worth a visit.

Zoos wise:
    Chester:- Enclosures are brilliant, large redevelopment programme and lots of unusual animals. The only red billled curassows in the UK.
    London:- Some nice enclosures, very wide variety of Animals, The only Woolly necked stork in the UK.

I can't think Of many more on the mainland. I've been mainly to Californian zoos. Of course there is the wonderful Jersey zoo, but it costs a bit to travel out to Jersey.

4. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Got to be Chester, as it is easily Britain's best. I've never been to Jersey, but from everything I've ever heard I'd say that would also be worthwhile.

London's pretty good, and is especially interesting from history point of view- some quite dated enclosures etc, but interesting architecture.

And actually yeah, I think Mr Bielby's call of WWT centres is a good one. Check out Slimbridge, great for the bird nerd.

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It depends on what you like to see. If you just enjoy good zoos then I would say Chester, Edinburgh, London and Marwell for a start.

6. Writhedhornbill

You spelt Beilby Wrong!!!
    It's become a motto know. I before E except not after C and in Beilby!!!!

Maybe the John aspinall parks, but then you'll have to like carnivores, monkeys and Ungulates as that's basically all they have!!!

7. ^Chris^

Apologies! Would anyone recommend Colchester? I've heard a lot about it but never been. It seems an extensive collection- especially of African mammals.

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went to Colchester last year. It is good.

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

My saying has always been ... "I before E except after C and except for exceptions!" ... and there are plenty of exceptions (gotta love the consistency of the english language)

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Colchester is actually a very lively, growing collection- some people might even rate it among the top league of zoos in the Uk. It certainly has a very large and continually growing collection of animals. The main problem there is large crowds of visitors and excited small children (yes, I know that's a primary function of any zoo) in confined spaces in parts of the zoo- so I suggest you try and choose a quieter,less 'popular' day for your visit if you can. The 'out of Africa' area with the African savanah-type species(includes White rhino, giraffe, breeding African elephants etc, is newly developed and there is much more room to move around there. A bit like Chester, they are always building new exhibits.

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for all that, people.

I've now retired (YAY!) and am planning my trip.

Is Twycross any good? (Supposed to have a top primate collection.)

12. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

Port Lympne is a stunning place. I would also do Island Amazon Adventure, London, Chester, Edinburgh and Colchester.

13. ^Chris^

Congratulations on the retirement!

Its a good collection and very successful in breeding monkeys but the standard of some of the enclosures aren't that great really- its always been designed in a purely practical way.

Probably worth visiting to see some of the rare animals they've got but not necessarily the enclosures they're in. That said they do seem to be developing and starting to build better exhibits- new elephants and an Amazon house etc with a Bornean house planned.

14. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

colchester zoo is probly the besti have been to in my opinion

15. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

for a range of animals rarely seen in britain yes you have colchester, marwell, howletts/port lympne but at the moment i don't think edinburgh can be bettered

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I you really want a kaleidoscope view of all good conservation-minded zoos in the UK, you should try Chester, Colchester, Edinburgh, London-Whipsnade and Marwell. They are the main contenders and I guess Bristol is also worth your while.

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Forward thinking: Port Lympne and Bekesbourne for their far-sighted policy on conservation breeding and reintroduction of captive-born wildliife (black rhinos, Przewalski horses and gorillas) back to the wild.

18. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

for a good range of bird's rarely seen in britain i think blackbrook is worth a visit

19. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i see blackbrook have imported kelp geese, purple sandpiper, whitenecked raven and squacco heron from a private breeder in germany and are hoping for torrent duck along with the open billed stork

20. Writhedhornbill

Could I get openbills from them too? hehe