Join our zoo community

Whipsnade Bison Question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ajmcwhipsnade, 14 Jan 2018.

1. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I drive down Bison Hill quite frequently and it always makes me wonder what the long term future is for the enclosure. Does anyone have any idea?

I would think to have a larger herd of Bison they would need a bigger house and yard, which considering it is on the downs, I would assume would be almost impossible to get planning permission for.

Its a fantastic enclosure and its a shame that the Zoo's hands are tied by strict (unnecessarily strict in my opinion) planning rules for the downs.

pipaluk and Tim May like this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with you that Bison Hill is a great enclosure and it is a shame that it has only housed a solitary male American bison for several years; like you I would like to see a herd of bison there. I recall back in the 1970s when the herd of American bison on Bison Hill numbered about a dozen animals and I would love to see a similar number there again.

Are you sure, though, about potential problems with planning permission? American bison would not need substantial indoor housing during an English winter; there wasn’t a large building there back in the days when there was a big herd of bison on Bison Hill so why would one be needed now?

pipaluk likes this.
  3. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I always make a point of giving him a visit when I go to the zoo!

I just think possibly as Zoo and animal welfare improve that perhaps there would be a need for better housing. Its pretty shabby and I think a 'spruce' would be needed to have more animals. I also think anyway that for the Animals, they should have the option of having an indoor space perhaps? Do Woburn's have a large indoor house?

Its hard for the zoo because if there is a need for new housing, then as I have said they cant really do anything. That's not the zoo's fault but the planning permission.