Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Zoo 2014 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BongoHardwood, 11 Jan 2014.

1. BongoHardwood

BongoHardwood Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new thread for a new year :)

The waterbuck have now been moved from the white rhino paddock to share with the zebra.

2. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

does that mean they are easier to spot and what will replace them in the rhino paddock ?

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Realistically, there isn't the housing available to keep much more than is currently being held.

There is an issue at Whipsnade. With its huge acreage, it has the space to be one of Europe's leading ungulate breeding centres, yet its location high on the Dunstable Downs means that buildings with heated dens and access to sizeable yards are essential.

I so wish that ZSL would consider that upgrading and enhancing its hoofstock stabling on its country estate was a bigger priority.:(

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Basically, Whipsnade is in the wrong place!

I agree about them making more of their Ungulates. Nowadays the ungulate housing seems largely a harkback to Whipsnade's fomer ungulate 'glory days'. I rather doubt we shall see any shift toward changing anything though as Whipsnade nowadays seems to be a more simplified collection.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. BongoHardwood

Personally I have never had much of a problem seeing the waterbuck in the rhino paddock but I don't know about others. I don't think they have been out in the zebra paddock yet (when I visited they were shut in one of the houses/yards) so I'm not sure if they'll be easier to see when they are eventually let out.

7. BongoHardwood

Saw waterbuck and zebra mixed in the paddock today. They all seemed to be getting along fine :)

In more exciting news, some new additions to the zoo could be seen out today in the small paddock at the entrance to the drive through (I think where the Arabian oryx used to be) - 0.4 Nilgai :D

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Very good news - nice to see Asian antelope going up in numbers after dwindling to a single (?) Blackbuck last year.

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed, this is excellent news, & there certainly weren't many blackbuck last time i went in the drive through.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2014
  10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed, not seen in as many collections nowadays. When did these arrive?:D

11. BongoHardwood

Correct, 1 male.

First time I've seen them out in that paddock. Out of interest can anyone give any details of the last time the species was held at Whipsnade?

12. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Assuming you’re referring to the nilgai then the ZSL Animal Inventory for 2007 shows that Whipsnade still had three females as at 31st December 2007 but the species was not listed in the Animal Inventory for 2008.

I’m very pleased to have nilgai back at Whipsnade. (I remember during the 1980s there were twenty-odd nilgai in the collection.)

13. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exciting to hear that nilgai are back, but one thing is bugging me. I apologise if I sound thick but how can you have 0.4? is there some numbering thing that I have not heard of or understand?

interesting to hear the waterbuck are in with the zebra, was up there not that long ago so would have gone and had a look!

14. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

0.4 means 4 females. 1.2 would mean one male and two females ;)
    Haven't seen Nilgai before, hope to get to Whipsnade sometime this year

15. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello everyone!

Just "signed up," so I thought I'd give you an update:

Following on from the nilgai news, Whipsnade will also be aquiring blackbuck, impala, thompson's gazelle and blesbok. These will be added to the collection throughout the year.

The revamped children's farm is also set for completion around Easter, being renamed Hullabazoo Farm.

Some sad news: Uno, the male Reticulated giraffe was euthanised in February due to ongoing health issues.

16. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very nice. I'd like to see impala.

17. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

What is your source for this? If it is indeed true, it is excellent news - although it seems unlikely that the zoo would go into such a quartet at the moment. I very much hope that I'm wrong....

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I too would be interested to know the source for this new information.....

19. Pertinax

Another setback for this group.:( At least he leaves a female offspring, and possibly another one or two calves posthumously to follow soon?

20. Pertinax

They are very nervous and quite difficult to manage. Marwell's bred freely but as equally frequently killed themselves due to their flight reactions etc.