Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2016.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Long overdue for George! I believe he was due to move last year, but the move fell through for reasons unknown to me.

2. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Both boys need to move on but Sam will be lost :( as only Elizabeth and Donna young elephants left at whipsnade!

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Scott and George arrived safely at Zoo Katowice this morning

4. Panthera1981

Plans are now underway to implement a project to "re-chalk" the White Lion carving , which has gradually degraded over time. This should be completed by the end of 2017.

Plans are also underway to expand the zoo's catering facilities, due to the increase in visitors year-on-year. Catering may then be out-sourced to a separate company.

5. Panthera1981

Some unexpectedly sad news:

Spike, the zoo's mature male African Lion, was euthanized at the weekend after suffering advanced organ failure.

Spike was at an advanced age (13-15?) and ,imo , hadn't looked particularly healthy for some monthes. It will be interesting to see how ZSL now progresses with it's African lions, both in the short term and long term.

6. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Such a shame :( I dont think a new male is an option since they already have a few castrated males.

8. Panthera1981

Personally, I'd transfer the castrated males to a private collection (WHF?) and start again with the female cub, Kia. The two mature females are older than Spike. Unless, of course, ZSL go down the wolf route: wait for the entire pride to die out and leave an empty enclosure.

I don't think the latter should be viable-the current plight of the African lion shouldn't allow it for starters. Is there a studbook, or are the genetics irreparably muddled?

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There *are* pure African Lions around, but those at ZSL Whipsnade are not among them; as such allowing the population to dwindle and starting afresh may be the best option.

Rosie183 likes this.
  10. banham.tiger

There is no studbook for African Lions so we will just have to wait and see what whipsnade do.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Leipzig is supposedly working on an African lion studbook!

12. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoo Leipzig are in the process of developing a new studbook of which the current zoo lions will not be a part of. For more information please read the info about the latest lion escape there. The current population is currently being monitored by a Park in Denmark and the current status quo from what I can see is that of very limited breeding due to a few reasons, one being the obvious lack of room around.

Also sad to hear of the passing of Spike, he was indeed an old lad of atleast 15 years old. He will be missed by the staff and visitors I am sure but unless they can find a new room for their castrates I am very doubtful that a new male will join the park soon.

13. Panthera1981

Looks like the tentative plan is to wait for the 3 castrates to die, then start afresh

14. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If they live as long as their dad did that won't be for another 5+ years then. By then the females may well have passed on too.

15. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Exactly what I was about to post! They will have to wait for them all to die out like the wolves and then start again.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  16. banham.tiger

Whipsnade have not yet announced his death. Do they normally announce them as he was a very popular animal at the zoo.

17. Panthera1981

...Which may not necessarily be a bad thing when one considers that the enclosure and general exhibit "theme" (grossly out of date information boards for example) could do with a much needed refresh anyway.

I think a similar scenario presented itself when the lions were in the old Escapment "pit," although the turnaround may have been quicker.

18. Panthera1981

Hmmm, they do tend to have previous with this-they never announced the death of the sealion Berkeley either, and he was incredibly popular!

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I seem to remember a visit when there was just one elderly Lioness living in there.

20. banham.tiger

Maybe they dont want to confirm his death as it could stop people from coming to the zoo if a popular animal has died.