Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2016.

1. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It was before my time so I would need to double check some old maps to be sure and I probably won't have the opportunity until the New Year.

However, I think it was the area where there was a row of cages for cheetahs (and other cats) i.e. the opposite side of the brown bear enclosure to the pathway between the bears and wolverine.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2016
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No way near big enough surely

3. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had thought they may have used the Woodland Walk area for the Dino's but I think that's a great idea to use it for the Wolves! (if that is the case).

4. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think its pretty much where the Cheetahs and now the Lynx are. In the fantastic book 'Whipsnade Wild Animal Park: My Africa' by Lucy Pendar I think she refers to the Wolves being pretty much at the bottom of her garden in the cottages at the entrance.

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It wouldn't be particularly spacious that's for sure but I think it would provide better accommodation for manatees than it ever did for dolphins or currently does for sealions.

The indoor pool must be many times larger than the pools that once housed manatee in Antwerp and Amsterdam. I reckon it compares favourably in size to the manatee exhibit in Berlin Tierpark too. And it must be a lot larger than the previous manatee pool in Nuremberg (although admittedly smaller than the current Nuremberg manatee exhibit).

Its purely hypothetical though as it will not happen....

Last edited: 30 Dec 2016
  6. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes. The original Wolf Wood ran alongside the perimeter fence as you go past the entrance to Bison Hill.