Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2016.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As previously stated, I will be disgusted if this enclosure is ever used for anything other than bears!! There are 500+ more acres on which to build a snow leopard enclosure!!

2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some observations on the Butterfly House. Since it's opening, 30 of the 60 species introduced successfully completed their full life cycle. Congo tetra have been introduced into the Dwarf croc pool.

The zoo are looking into the possibility of acquiring Arapaima. This is could depend on how quickly funds are acquired for the second phase of the Cloisters rebuild.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZSL Whipsnade.....

I'm with Pipaluk here. This is one of the best bear enclosures in the country. What about trying Polar Bears in there, with a bigger pool?

4. Panthera1981

Far too small!:eek:

IF Polar bears did return (and I'd love it if they did) it's been intimated they'd need at least half the footprint of Passage thru Asia to have a decent exhibit.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For Snow leopards it would have to be covered over and is so large that being fairly retiring they would probably be invisible for a great deal of the time.

I'd go for more Bears- species not too important IMO but not Polar which would do better on the very exposed escarpment and in a still bigger enclosure.

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Answering my own question here... the accompany video with the news of birth of the Giraffe calf confirms he is a 'first time dad.' The birth was filmed too and you can see the curious Giraffe in the neighbouring stall gets a bit of a fright as the calf tumbles out onto the floor!

8. pipaluk

I suggest the management take a trip to Yorkshire Wildlife Park to see what can be achieved for Polar Bears at relatively low cost. Those enclosures are nowhere near the necessary size suggested. Also a Polar Bear exhibit could probably be built at Whipsnade for less than 20% of the amount spent on a few adaptations to the Lion Terraces at London!

9. pipaluk

The Geoffroy's Marmosets are back in the enclosure in the Discovery Centre, where they were 4 or 5 years ago. The enclosure has held pygmy marmosets and Emperor Tamarins in between.

10. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah cool great. Last month when I went I didn't see them, but will look next time. Thanks!

11. pipaluk

The enclosure was empty when I last went a few weeks ago too, so it is only recent that they've gone on show

12. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

This area has been a good bear enclosure since the park opened. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! To continue with European Brown Bears in this enclosure would maintain the European theme of the area. Or, if this isn't an issue anymore, how about moving the Sloth Bears into this area? Or bringing in Asiatic Black Bears? I would love to see Polar Bears back at Whipsnade, but agree with previous comments that they would be better suited on the downs/escarpment area.
    Does anyone know how old Wendy was? Was she born at Whipsnade?

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Do you know when the other (not Wendy) female died, as I thought there was four females?

14. pipaluk

The oldest of the 4, died 2010 or 2011. Penny I think her name was, was about 5 years older than Wendy at the time of her death, I seem to recall from a talk around 2010

15. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that, very interesting.

16. Panthera1981

Wendy was 25 when she was euthanised. The two remaining bears, Wellington and Winslow, are 23.

All share the same father, Jacko.

17. Panthera1981

Whilst we're on topic, I'd be interested to know the current situation regarding Brown bears in European zoos-breeding, stud book etc.

If no zoo's bothering with them, it doesn't bode well for the long term use of this exhibit for Brown bears-unless ZSL go down the "rescue" route.

18. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Brilliant information thank you.

As far as I know the Brown Bear situation in the UK is quite poor, as there are very few left, and most are either elderly or in non-breeding situations.
    There has been the "rescues" by Five Sisters and Wildwood in recent years but I am not sure about the European situation though.

19. Panthera1981

The female W.African dwarf crocodile has produced a large clutch of eggs, with the hope that they will hatch in a few months time.

A large nest is visible on the edge of the crocs pool.

20. pipaluk

Just a few observations since my previous visit 3 weeks ago:

All reference to the Thomson 's gazelles has been removed, so that's probably the end for them I'm afraid!

Red Pandas back on show, at least 3 of them seen, after at least 2 months off show.

Geoffroy's marmosets appear to be confined to indoors, didn't see any white faced saki inside or out.

31 year old sloth bear Lanka was looking reasonably spritely in her outdoor enclosure.

Didn't see new giraffe calf but could see an adult female through the windows of the old part of the house, so probably no issues there.

Still no sign of male blackbuck in with the females.