Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2016.

1. pocket

pocket New Member

time of elephant walks at whipsnade

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what time (ish) the elephants are usually walked at Whipsnade?

It used to be around 2:30? Is that still the case?

Thank you

2. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there any News or Pictures on How the New Elephant Centre? Is coming along and when it will be open?

(Also the "Coming Soon" Website has not been Updated since January, i still says that Land of the Lions is coming soon but London zoo opened it on the 25 March and it has nearly been a month since it opened)

I did also hear that They wolf wood was for the Hunting dogs at London zoo but they have the old Red River hog enclosure now aswell so i don't think it will be for them, also I heard that it was going to be used for Snow Leopards but when I asked Whipsnade about it, they said it will be used for A NEW WOLF PACK so i don't think there will be any new Species in it.

I Also Ask whipsnade if There will be Any new Enclosures or Exhibits, they did say that they have New Enclosures coming later in the year but they did not say what is coming but this was in January i asked them.
    Also does anyone Know if there is going to be New Exhibits/ Animals at Whipsnade in 2016?, Because London zoo has opened Land on the Lions in March and Now they Have announced that they will be Upgrading the Snowdon Aviary.

Also Whipsnade is the Bigger zoo so i would have thought that whipsnade would update/ Upgrade the zoo every year, like Colchester and even Woburn now

They could also do up the paddocks and exhibits at the moment in the few years to come including:

The Tiger Enclosure
    The Lions of the Serengeti
    The Rhino/ Deer Paddocks
    The Passage Through Asia (Could use for an Arctic biome and extend the Asia biome of the zoo where they could house the Deers form the Passage through Asia)
    Use the space to make Exhibits like Baboons/ Warthogs
    Bison Paddock.

3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I like the suggestion of an Arctic biome, including Polar Bears obviously! Snow Leopard would be a great addition, as long as it's a new enclosure, NOT replacing another species!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the lion or tiger enclosures, that would be money wasted that could be used to build new enclosures for new species!

4. Max Blundell

Max Blundell Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have Been looking through some old Whipsnade Zoo maps and There is a Lot of Species that Whipsnade Remove from their Maps over the years, this is what i Found from 2008- 2016

2008:

New Animals: (Sloth Bear, Prezewalkski's Horse and Meerkats)
    Removed Animals: (NONE)

2009:

New Animals (NONE)
    Removed Animals: (Red Panda and Parrot, From the Bird Garden)

2010:

New Animals: (Lynx, Wild Boar, Wolverine, Moose and Donkeys)
    Removed Animals: (Stock, Wallabies and Alpacas)

2011:

New Animals: (Red Panda, After being Removed Back in 2009)
    Removed Animals: (Common Zebra)

2012:

New Animals: (NONE)
    Removed Animals: (Emus)

2013: (NO MAP SORRY)

2014:

New Animals: (Sitatunga, Red River Hogs and Pelican)
    Removed Animals: (NONE)

2015:

New Animals: (Owls, Peacock, Butterflies, Crocodiles, Pigs, Goats and Blackbuck)
    Removed Animals: (Roan Antelope, Sitatunga, Red River Hogs, Ostrich, Gemsbok, Egret, Prezewalkski' Horse, Onager and Llama)

2016 SO FAR:

New Animals: (NONE)
    Removed Animals: (Wolves)

5. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went today and checked in on the 'biguns' (elephants, rhinos, hippos, bears, chimps, sealions, lions and tigers). All seemed on good form, and pretty sure I didn't miss any of them except maybe Lanka :) Kaylee, Donna, Lucha, Scott, Sam and Azizah went out for the walk. Mya and Karishma opted to stay in the paddock.
    George and Scott now live in a separate paddock to Emmett and the matriarchal herd, although whilst the walk was happening George was allowed in with Mya and mum Karishma, who seems to be coping well with Max's death.
    According to a keeper plans are for George to move to Belgium soon. No date or zoo confirmed by him :)

6. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

went on sunday and saw most of the animals . the discovery centre has a sign outside saying about the renovating work all the desert enclosures were occupied apart from the old argentine boa exhibit the aquarium section apart from the axolotl tank and the turtle ones were empty the green tree boas are now gone loved the butterfly house and croc area . the farm was well stocked also saw the bird show which flew the following birds

white stork
    burrowing owl
    harris hawk
    two African grey parrots
    two hyacinth macaws
    two scarlet macaws
    and the two militarys
    saw no blue and golds and they weren't mentioned either

the sealion show was packed think dominic was being kept in the main indoor pool and the girls I think were outside I say this because dom was shut indoors after the show saw no sign of baby Oscar and the holding pool doors were shut inside

the elephant area looks good just a shame the paddock will be taken up by the new house hopefully the paddock will be expanded

feel free to ask any questions

7. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's a new addition to the Bactrian camel herd-a male calf!

Regarding any wolf update, don't expect anything for the foreseeable future. An extensive inspection of the enclosure has found that major work needs to be done on almost every part of it before anything goes back in.

8. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Out of interest did you take any photos of the new Elephant house? If not no worries!

9. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I've added a few photos from a recent visit.

10. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

great just had a look cheers

11. Reptile Boy97

Reptile Boy97 Active Member

Does anyone know if the brown bears are still at whipsnade? I visited on Monday and I couldn't see any of the Bears or any sign they have been there. Their pool was also dry

12. Panthera1981

A male Przewalski's horse has been born, and given the name Lurvy! This is the first foal in quite some time I believe.

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I don`t know the answer, but I do have a gut feeling that the remaining elderly bears will not be at Whipsnade for too much longer ? ( if they do have "other plans" for the old Victorian enclosure?).
    Going on past experience, unfortunately when one elderly bear is euthanased, and the others are all of a similar age, the cynic in me, would say the others are likely to follow before too long?
    I hope not, but that is my feeling on it.

14. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I really hope you're wrong and that enclosure will continue to hold bears forever, but I understand your cynicism! 3 or 4 wolves were euthanased in one hit not so long ago!
    They can't afford an empty bear enclosure as well as the Wolf one!

15. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I hope I am wrong too, but being realistic, can you see them bringing in any more Brown Bears? I think its rather unlikely, certainly not to mix with the elderly specimens that remain.
    I like to think they could still use it for another bear species perhaps, but I don`t know.

16. Panthera1981

One could argue that the situation with the wolves is just the tip of the iceberg. AFAIK the bears are still around, but the zoo will have age-related/non-breeding issues with lions, chimps and tigers within the next 5 years I'd say.

That's 5 big charismatic species ZSL will have to fill the void for, and I'd argue that one associates Whipsnade with bears and wolves.

17. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Both remaining bears were there a couple of days ago (15 May 2016); I've added a photo of each to the gallery.

Photo added to gallery. I last photographed a foal (male, Thor) there almost exactly two years ago - I don't think there've been any others since.

18. Panthera1981

The Grevy's zebra herd have produced a new foal. No idea if it's male or female though.

19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

First visit today in many months. There are now two Grevy's Zebra foals. An Onager stallion is on the hardstand in the corner of the field where the Onager mares live. He was pacing and seemed to want to be out with the females.

20. anidude

anidude Well-Known Member

hi no I didn't really sorry