Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Max Blundell, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the last few years there have been temperament/aggression issues with the breeding male towards the females, though I don't know whether this is par the course with Onager.

I too would like to know the reasons. The zoo had given no indication this was imminent!

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it is.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Very much par for the course, the only way to stop it is house the male away from the females, in a place where they cannot see each other.

4. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes the male lion that was at whipsnade spike died of kidney problems late last year, so yes whipsnade only has females Lions. Unsure if they want to have a male lion join this group or let this group numbers decline and then aquire new lions from London zoo!

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wrong! Please read Shonenjake13 post immediately after the one you have replied to! That gives the correct answer!

zoogiraffe and ShonenJake13 like this.
  6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do hope they will replace the onagers with another species of ass, be they Asian or African.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Somali Ass would be nice, but like it or not, this is the modern 'simplified' Whipsnade and perhaps unlikely there will be any replacement, what with the problems male Asses frequently pose as far as keeping them with females as an amicable group.

kiang likes this.
  8. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Was/is this on the right-hand side of the entrance to Passage Through Asia?

9. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, just inside the entrance to what is now "Passage Through Asia" there used to be a row of cages on the right-hand side.

10. Pertinax

Of course there was no Passage to Asia either, just fields/pasture. I seem to remember this was just a dead end as far as access for visitors was concerned.

I remember a simple grass enclosure set in front of the field hedge, surrounding by a netting fence with overhang, perhaps divided into two or three sections. I wonder if anyone has photos of this and whether the Hyaena 'cages' mentioned were in fact a different development?

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree Pipaluk, ZSL should have the major zoos in Britian

12. Stuart Sadler

Stuart Sadler Member

Tim May, pipaluk and Crowthorne like this.
  13. Tim May

I believe that it was the old hyaena accommodation that was used for the hunting dogs. Yes, it was divided into three sections; back in the 1960s there was a different species of hyaena in each.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2017
  14. Pertinax

I only remember it with Hunting Dogs which had access to all the sections- there were about five of them. I don't think there were any others in the UK at the time except maybe a single exhibit at ZSL.

15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember it well and I particularly remember not taking a photograph there. But I have had to confirm my memories of that area of Whipsnade by digging out my old guidebooks and I found an old map from 1970 in our files, added nearly 5 years ago by mukisi (I don't think he has been here for a while, but anyone using that name can never do wrong, in my opinion :)).
    https://www.zoochat.com/community/attachments/hpqscan0001-jpg.4215/
    The road labelled Valley Close is now the entrance road to Passage through Asia, which incorporates the old Cut Throat Paddock, which held swamp deer when I first visited in 1972. On the right was Dagnall Paddock which held mouflon: it has now been divided and the cheetahs use the area nearer the hippos. At the end of Valley Close, on the right was a small double paddock for mountain zebras and the hunting dog enclosure was on the left, shown as a small pale green rectangle on the map. Behind the dogs was a paddock named Valley Meadow and to its left another called called Little Barn Field, which are not named on this old map, but both were incorporated into the Asian Plains. In 1972, they held Père David's deer and onagers respectively.
    I agree with Pertinax's description of the hunting dog exhibit. It was basically rough grassland with a wire fence around it, probably with a couple of scrubby hawthorn bushes too. The dens were underground rather like an old air-raid shelter, and I think there were steps down to them from the keeper's entrance at the back of the exhibit. The whole area is one of the highest parts of the zoo, and although it is on the southern side, it was poorly screened from the Whipsnade winds.
    In March 2008 I wrote about my memory in the thread Memories of London Zoo (and whipsnade).
    I was wrong about the date. It was 1st December 1973, and it was a beautifully sunny day - but it was frosty and very cold indeed. I remember that the Przewalski horses looked magnificent in their shaggy winter coats. I was pleased to see the mother dog coming out of the den as I arrived at the same time as the keeper cycled up, so I was ready to take a picture when she came out again with the tiny pup. But of course it immediately became clear that the pup was dead and I couldn't bring myself to take a photo as she slowly swallowed it. In some ways I regret not taking that photo, but even if I had, I don't think I would post it here.
    I think that the pup probably died of cold in the night, with its litter mates if there were any; the IZYB only records of hunting dogs breeding at Marwell in the UK in 1973. I don't think there would have been any heating in the den on that bitterly cold night and I trust that better provision will be made for the new pack of dogs at Whipsnade. At least they are in a more sheltered area of the park.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  16. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A bit of snooping revealed there was no ulterior motive for the onager departure other than to increase the breeding group at Chester.

The new Centre for Elephant Care will be officially opened by the Queen and Prince Phillip on April 11th. This will be, apparently, the Queen's first ever visit to Whipsnade.

17. Pertinax

I think maybe Whipsnade had bred the Hunting dogs successfully prior to this failure, as the Marwell pair(parents of their young) were to my knowledge a brother/sister pair born at Whipsnade.

18. Pertinax

Well, it was also to phase out the last remaining Onager at Whipsnade also.

19. Tim May

Indeed; a trio of hunting dogs were born, and successfully raised, at Whipsnade in 1971.

20. Pertinax

Thanks, so Marwell's parent dogs were two of that trio as the date fits perfectly.