Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Zoo 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 22 Jan 2018.

1. Regent

Regent Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was under the impression that Mya was the matriarch of the herd. If she is leaving, what impact will this have on the herd

2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This was probably the only solution considering Mya’s problematic personality, her age and the fact she is a non-breeding cow.

Worthing noting that, when she does depart, a piece of history will go with her as she was London Zoo’s last elephant. Mya, Geeta and Azizah transferred from Regents Park in the late 1990s.

Crowthorne and Jambo like this.
  3. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

The American bison is still there (he’s actually a different subspecies to Woburns) and yes there are only 3 female European Bison at the collection.

Kifaru Bwana, Jambo and 14556 like this.
  4. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope it may reunite heard as 1 rather than 2 groups , as maybe they may bring in another breeding cow to join Karishma as a breeding animal.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I had an elephant experience a month or so back and the keeper told me they are trying to breed kaylee if they can get over a few health isssues which would be great

Rajang-GOAT and Jambo like this.
  6. Panthera1981

If true then it would be her last calf. I was under the impression Kaylee had been retired from breeding.

7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kaylee is 36 years old and hasn’t breed in nearly 10 years; so i’m assuming that she probably won’t be having any more calves. Her genetic representation is probably the reason they are trying to breed her. She is a wild born female and only has one living calf: A female named Donna who is 9. If Kaylee breeds once more than Donna and Kaylee’s future calf’s could breed in the future to continue Kaylee’s genetic’s on. It has been sad to watch 2 of her calves die from EEHV which seems to be massively affecting the World’s Asian elephant breeding program.

8. Panthera1981

[QUOTE="Jambo, post: 1109443, member: 15335") It has been sad to watch 2 of her calves die from EEHV which seems to be massively affecting the World’s Asian elephant breeding program.[/QUOTE]

Even more so when you consider both deceased calves were female.

9. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo and Zia like this.
  10. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

11. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean Twycross? I'm sure it all depends on the individuals involved and their prior training - and Twycross also had the complications of a growing youngster and rather extreme heat to contend with. The welfare of the animals is the most important thing - it doesn't have to be a race.

12. wibbs

wibbs Well-Known Member 15+ year member

myas move was was agreed and planned months ago . long before they announced it

BeakerUK and Jambo like this.
  13. Panthera1981

Does anyone have more information on Jula, whom Mya will be joining?

14. monster

monster Well-Known Member

why do you describe her personality as problematic? And why is non breeding status a reason to move an elephant on? Are older females not an important element of elephant society? Does Lucha need to go as well then?I feel sorry for Mya.

15. robert everett

Mya and keylee both see themselves as boss which causes issues within if it is in one large group

16. monster

Nope. As I said in a previous post they had settled down and spent most days together unsupervised before the poor decision was made to go PC

17. robert everett

A elephant keeper has told me to my face that the reason Mya was kept separate was because herself and keylee would not back down from fights plus I believe keylee would be a better matriarch as she has a daughter within the herd already at a breeding age

Kifaru Bwana and Jambo like this.
  18. monster

Kay Lee had been subordinate to Mya for some time. they were often to be seen together. not sure why having a daughter gives an elephant better leadership qualities? Mya has always been a calmer more relaxed animal than Kay Lee which are much better matriarchal traits

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. robert everett

Naturally in the wild a elephant herd is made up of a herd leader her daughters and their offspring. (Someone correct me if I am wrong) Which in this case keylee is Whipsnades matriarch.

20. monster

nonsense to compare wild herds with artificial captive herds but if you insist on doing so then you need to consider that every wild cow of breeding age would have calves at foot and even those past breeding age would
    have offspring within the herd. even lowest ranking females would be bred. so to base your idea of social status on whether or not a cow has a calf is quite funny