Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Zoo 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Panthera1981, 22 Jan 2018.

1. BillEel

BillEel Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would be good if they moved their slowly growing wisent herd out there, though I would imagine they’d need a better stable on the Hill.

2. ajmcwhipsnade

ajmcwhipsnade Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know of the exact date for his departure? Would love to go and see him one last time.

3. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

Any idea if they will replace the paddock with another species

4. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Considering that neither the paddock nor the American bison appear on any zoo map (and haven’t done for many years, thus rendering the general public ignorant to either’s existence!) probably not!

However, there is a fine group of prairie dogs, gradually inbreeding themselves to extinction, that still exist within the paddock.

5. ajmcwhipsnade

Haven't seen prairie dogs there for ages, that's cool to know they are still there.

6. monster

monster Well-Known Member

what makes you think the bison is leaving?

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Panthera1981 posted the bison is leaving, because he knows it's leaving!

8. monster

monster Well-Known Member

I don't think he does...

9. sparkes12

sparkes12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know where the bison is off to?,we always made a point of venturing to see him even though most didn't even know he was there.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited yesterday, my first for several years(as per usual). The Bison bull is still there. Very enjoyable as always though I was struck mainly by how reduced the numbers of some of the commoner ungulate groups are, compared to what they had previously. E.g. only 3 European Bison (there used to be half a dozen or more) 3 male Impala (from 5), a couple of Roan, 2(?) Blesbok/bontebok, 5 Beisa Oryx, 5 or 6 White Rhino, half a dozen Yak, 6 Camel etc. The newly-established Nilgai group is a strong one though. Still just the female Blackbuck. I think the Axis Deer have gone now- no sign of them anyway though still on the signage. Why did they keep the Fallow Deer but not the Axis I wonder? The Gaur group of five(3.2) was probably the highlight. A few photos in the gallery.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2018
    Tim May likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Beisa oryx?

12. pipaluk

Must mean Gemsbok

Pertinax likes this.
  13. Pertinax

Indeed I do...:oops:

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with you; it is a shame that the numbers of many of the ungulate species have been reduced.

This is especially noticeable to those of us who remember the days when there were twenty plus white rhinos, more than a dozen American bison and around twenty European bison.....

I am surprised, though, that you only saw three European bison as I'm sure I saw five a few weeks ago.

It's interesting that you saw two roan antelope; I only saw one individual on most on my visits this year and, last time I was there, didn't see any so I am pleased to learn there are still two.
    It's a shame if the axis deer have gone; I think would be the first time in Whipsnade's history that there have been no axis deer in the collection.

I think the large herd of black fallow deer makes a superb exhibit, though, so I hope they are retained.

pipaluk likes this.
  15. pipaluk

I was surprised by the European Bison being down to just 3 too. There were 5 at the beginning of 2018 and I thought a calf was born in the summer?

Sometimes they are hidden away at the back of the shed.

Tim May likes this.
  16. Pertinax

I may be wrong on this, but I definately only saw a pair- with the young calf. I did not look in the shed though...I'd expect if three were out and moving about, any others would be too. And I revisited that area later too.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2018
  17. Pertinax

I thought I saw two Roan, definately one though.

I particularly looked for the Axis Deer after comments on here that they were to go, and I saw no sign of them. However there is a raised bank in the far top corner of Asian Plains where I know they sometimes go and hide out of sight, but I'm presuming they have been removed. As you said, it will be the first time Whipsnade don't have them if this is correct.

I was actually referring to them keeping the Menil Fallow in Asian Plains. But I also looked for the Black Fallow below the Hippos but did not see them, but they could have easily been where you can't see them in that large valley paddock.

Overall its sad how small many of the remaining ungulate groups are-perhaps for reasons of economy? In fact the whole of Whipsnade definately feels it could contain far more animals- as it used to do.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2018
    Tim May and pipaluk like this.
  18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The wife visited yesterday, and said that they only have one sloth bear now. They only had the sign up for Colombo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Pertinax

I only saw a single one the other day too, but didn't realise he was the only one now.

20. ajmcwhipsnade

That's sad :( was there only a couple of weeks ago and saw both more active then I ever have