Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Whipsnade Zoo Cheetah Enclosure

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CZJimmy, 24 Oct 2007.

1. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

I've heard that ZSL are developing a new Cheetah enclosure at Whipsnade.

Could some of you give me any pics of this or any plans?

Last time I visited the Cheetahs were off-show, I think for medical reasons, which was a disappointment as I had been looking forward to seeing them.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new enclosure, including breeding pens is presently under construction in a large field at the north end of the park. For those of you who know Whipsnade this area is across the road from the hippo enclosures. I went on 13th October and a cheetah was visible in the original enclosure.

3. CZJimmy

Thanks bongorob, are there any more developments taking place?

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the publicity 'blurb' for this enclosure, it looks like there may be some provision for demonstrating the Cheetah's speed- I don't know how but maybe a set-up within the enclosure where the cheetahs can chase a 'hare' or dummy food perhaps?

5. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. bongorob

The only other project currently under construction is the Indian Rhino house.

A huge walkthrough aviary is planned, (hopefully for next year) in the bird gardens, and one of the paddocks is supposedly due to be refurbished for the pelicans from London.

7. Pertinax

I was a little disappointed at the relatively small size of this new house- or at least as indicated by the construction so far. The plan shows three compartments, each with an indoor pool at the front(an important addition) and what also looks like a small public viewing area. I imagine it will be like a larger version of their hippo house...

I suppose they can still keep one or two other rhinos in the existing house, although it is rather primitive. Amazing Whipsnade have kept this species continuously since the 1950's, yet this is the first time they will have had heated indoor bathing.

8. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

good to see whipsnade keep developing as an open range zoo, dubbo is just sitting idel, its a shame cause its just as good as whipsnade, what is the visitatuion numbers at wipsnade per year

9. Pertinax

Whipsnade has always been an 'open range' zoo since the day it opened as London Zoo's 'country estate'. Its situated up on a sort of plateau on downland about thirty miles North of London. Although there's plenty of trees, the site is rather exposed to the weather and cold in the winter, not really an ideal site for animals from warmer climates but there we are....

Actually, Whipsnade have contracted considerably in the numbers of species they keep. In their early years they had an enormous collection, including many Deer and Antelope species they no longer keep, also Polar, Kodiak and Spectacled bears, Hunting Dogs, Leopards, Mountain zebra, Tapirs etc also many Crane species. About 1990 they thinned out the collection considerably. And more recent disappearances have been Black Rhino and Pygmy Hippos.

However, they are still building new and better exhibits for the animals they still have got e.g. Lions, Cheetahs, Flight Aviary etc so in that respect its still developing...

Visitor numbers..? They were mentioned on a thread giving a list of attendance figures for UK zoos.

10. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

thats kool, has any one from europe that has been to whipsnade, been to western plains zoo in australia, and would like to do a bit of a comparision? mark?

11. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

Are all the pelicans leaving the london site? I thought they were quite popular there? Any idea what is causing the move?

12. bongorob

I think it's becuase the ZSL want to have more birds at Whipsnade, and perhaps there's a better chance of breeding them at Whipsnade. I may be wrong and it could be a case of Whipsnade obtaining their own pelicans.

13. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

it would make sense....they're not likely to breed at regent's park. But then I can see them just importing some more anyway as equally likely.

14. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see a zoo take on a cheetah exhibit with a 'dograce' like bait track. I think it could be a great oppurtunity for enrichment and education- it'll just be a shame if the cheetahs aren't willing to co-operate... I wouldn't want them forced to perform.

I think a similar exhibit may work for servals with a bird-like bait to catch whilst audiences are told about there natural behaviour etc. I think if two pairs of servals (or cheetahs) were kept and they were alternated they would be more willing to work each time.

15. CZJimmy

I think this was on a TV show a while back on animal planet. If I remember correctly, the San Diego Wild Animal Park has/had an off-show paddock for the cheetahs which used a 'dograce' type of track. The keepers would place some meat in a sack, attach it to the the track and let the cheetahs chase it.

I may be wrong, however.

16. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You aren't :)
    I happened to see a photo of this a couple of weeks ago and it was easy to find on the web here. I will be a customer if Whipsnade do something silmilar (but I hope it will be rather cheaper).

Alan

17. CZJimmy

Just a thought here...

The lion enclosure at whipsnade is in view from the hippo one. Since the Cheetahs are moving to that general area, does that mean they will be able to see the lions and therefore be put off from potentially breeding? :confused:

18. Pertinax

That is a very good point. I've seen the location of the new Cheetah site and they will definately be able to see the Lions, and worse, hear them too. If there is any truth in that theory about Cheetahs and Lions( and it certainly sounds valid) then yes, it could be a real problem. Maybe they have overlooked it...:(

19. bongorob

That's interesting. Cheetahs never bred at Chester Zoo, and they were housed near to the lions.

20. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

edinburgh bred cheetahs successfully about 10 years ago and their paddock was next to the lion house and rock.