Join our zoo community

White Oak Conservation Center White Oak Conservation Center

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Feb 2008.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I really havent posted many updates of White Oak.

We've had several births this year including Giant Eland, Bongo, Addra Gazelle, Nile Lechwe, Gerenuk, Lesser Kudu, an Okapi calf, MS Sandhill Crane, 4 cassowary chicks, and a litter of cheetahs. We will also be expecting Giraffe, Roan Antelope, Gerenuk, Addra, Giant Eland, Grevy's Zebra, and another Okapi in the next year.

White Oak suffered some damage from Tropical Storm Fay...we continue to clean up from this storm after loosing dozens of trees and much fenceline. And the flood waters finally receded a few weeks ago. We also continue to watch our Red Bay trees die as the range of the invasive Ambrosia Beetle (who burrow into the trees and allow for fungus to invade the tree's core) spreads south from South Carolina.

A male Somali Wild Ass arrived from Marwell this summer and has been introduced to our herd of 0.4 that we acquired last fall from San Diego Wild Animal Park.

Two juvenile Andean Condors (our newest species) arrived last winter and they will temporarily remain at White Oak until their eventual release into the Andes Mountains.

As for the Okapi, our young calf is doing well and growing quickly. We recently finished moving some animals arround to allow for our next round of breeding. I do have another female pregnant that is due this winter.

Last winter our two elderly tigers passed away. We received two young male tigers from a tiger rescue facility in May.

And finally this summer we indentified a bat colony on our property as a rare population of Rafinesque's Big-eared Bat. We have started observations on these bats to provide important data to bat conservationists.

2. okapikpr

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

okapikpr,

An impressive and informative annual report. An incredible amount of conservation projects being supported in situ that complement the coop breeding programmes at home. That is the way of the future zoo!

Just one criticism - if you pardon me - I wish GIC would include a annual listing of its animal inventory (including births, deaths, arrivals and transfers). Oh well, hopefully for next time when 2008 is under the hammer!

Cheers,

Jelle

4. okapikpr

That's part of White Oak's mystique. Just like the curve ball i'm about to throw at you all. We call it the White Oak Experience!

5. okapikpr

6. Kifaru Bwana

Well be prepared ... when I get to the States om my regular travels I will surely stop by and take in the magical nature of the place!

Will pm you later ...! :cool:

Jelle

7. okapikpr

8. okapikpr

The latest edition of White Oak's newsletter, Karatasi, has been posted.

http://www.giconline.org/docs/KaratasiFallWinter2008.pdf

And a further update on some recent animal activities:

0.0.3 Maned Wolves born
    0.1 Bongo born
    An Andean Condor arrived from San Diego
    1.0 Komodo Dragon soon to be shipped to Jax Zoo

9. okapikpr

White Oak Plantation and the Howard Gilman Foundation have a new website:

WhiteOak Plantation

10. okapikpr

A Southern White Rhinoceros was born at White Oak this morning. This is our fourth 2nd generation captive birth to occur at White Oak - and the first since the mid-1990s.

11. okapikpr

...and a giraffe was born last week, our third since November.

12. Kifaru Bwana

TRANSPLANT (from Toronto thread)
    QUOTE [okapikpr We currently have 1.13, our breeding herd consist of 1.7, a seperate mare herd contains 0.4, and of course the 0.2 in quarantine. We are expecting 4.0 from St Catherine's Island within the year. ] UNQUOTE

Most zoo based facilities keep: 1.2 or 1.3 Grevy Zebra at best or just in single sex groups.

I notice more and more that the Grevy Zebra are being taken up by facilities with sufficient space, is this a new trend in Grevy Zebra management in the SSP?

Shame about SC going out of Grevy Zebra (is the facility going to be defunct or will NZP continue to operate it)? :confused:

13. okapikpr

1. White Oak has maintain Grevy's Zebra since 1977. Our breeding herd is maintain in a 12 acre paddock.

2. There are currently no trends in the NA Grevy's Zebra SSP. Facilities maintain and grow their herds comprable to their holding space.

3. St Catherine's Island Wildlife Survival Center was long maintained by the Bronx Zoo (WCS) and not the National Zoo - they have their own conservation center in Front Royal, VA. After WCS pulled out of St Cat's 5-7 years ago, the owners of the island have minimally maintained the conservation center. St Cat's is closing and will be dispersing all of its animals, except for the lemurs.

4. St Catherine's involvement with the Grevy's Zebra was very minimal - only holding a small surplus of stallions for White Oak. These stallions were transferred there a few years ago to allow White Oak to begin a Somali Wild Ass program and re-start its Grevy's Zebra breeding.

14. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Great to hear!

15. okapikpr

Check out this video clip of my new pride and joy...

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

VERY cute, any name at this stage?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2009
  17. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

thanks for the video

18. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

19. Kifaru Bwana

What is happening at White Oaks itself? Is the facility still extant?
    What is going on with the animal collection?

20. Phantom Gaur

Phantom Gaur Well-Known Member

@okapikpr, is there a way to get in touch with you? Please send me a PM. Thanks