Join our zoo community

Allwetterzoo Münster White Rhino born, but killed by its mother

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Tarsius, 3 Apr 2011.

1. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

At Münster zoo, a male white rhino was born yesterday, but unfortunately, the calf was killed by its mother"Emmi" one hour after birth. The Zoostaff tried to seperate her from the calf, after she started to be aggressive against the calf, but the attack came suddenly and so quickly, so it failed. The calf died shorthly after the attack.

Itw as not the first calf to the female, it was the fourth, but in all cases, she became aggressive against the calf after a short time, she killed three, only the 2009 born bull"Ebun" could be saved from her, he was handraised and was send to Britain.

The strange thing is, she showed normal behaviour to the calf after the birth, but then, after one hour, for unkwown reasons, she became aggressive again to her calf and killed it.

The Zoo thinks about not to breed with her anymore, the EEp Koordinator has now to decide, what will happen with her, sterilized or send to a nonbreeding group are two options.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought Ebun was a female?

3. Tarsius

Ebun is a male, I'm sure about that....

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Nisha is right, Ebun is a female. Unless she's somehow changed sex recently....

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Munster's website and press releases in the past, Ebun is indeed female...

6. Tarsius

I was wrong about the gender of"Ebun", the name sounds more male-like to me than female-like...Sorry for the mistake ! I had t in my head, he is a male...