Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park white rhino

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jones, 21 Nov 2009.

1. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

Just wondering, what this disease actually is and what it does and if the animals can be treated and if we can stop it from happening. If this disease killed two rhinos I wouldn't be sending more over there especially if they are viable.

2. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Clostridium perfringens are anaerobic sporeforming rods. They are widely distributed in the environment (soils etc) and frequently occurs in the intestinal tracts of animals.

They are characterised by their ability to produce potent exotoxins. There are 5 types of Clostridium perfringens - which produce 4 different types of toxins.

The illness is caused by toxin being produced in the stomach by large numbers of the microorganisms.

It can cause sudden death, dysentery, diarrhoea, colic, intestinal torsion etc

zoo animals can be vaccinated against it each year / 6 monthly

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are they still planning on importing a female from Hamilton? Any idea's who it would be?

4. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

They're still planning on her transfer but i don't know her name. She is about 14/15yo and her studbook no. is 1358.

:)

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It will most likely be Cabelle then. She has had 2:1 calves since coming to Hamilton from South Africa in 1999. Her first calf was Inkosi born 6th January 02 and the 2nd was Mtoto born 17th Febuary 04. They went with their father to Auckland Zoo in May 2007. Not long after they left Cabelle gave birth to her 3rd calf, a female this time. If Cabelle goes to Austraila then i'm guessing they will keep the female calf and breed from her with the new bull?

6. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That is correct, Caballe's calf Imani will remain at Hamilton along with other females Mwisha and Kito.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Uhura the white rhino at Monarto is pregnant and expected to give birth in September or October (from the zoo's latest email-newsletter)

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Yay!! Lets hope all goes well

9. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Uhura gave birth to a healthy female calf on the 1 of October she is the first ever female rhino to be born at Monarto zoo. She is now on display with her mum aunty and older cousin Digger. And also on other news a female zebra has been born to mum Kenya and dad Zambezi on the 2 of October and is the pairs third calf.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

as per the above post: Monarto Zoo celebrates breeding success - Yahoo!7 News

11. jay

A female calf is excellent news.

12. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's fantastic news! Finally a female calf! Monarto seems to have had a good deal of breeding success recently. :)

13. Animalgeek

Yes they have indeed. Also this is Uhuras third calf correct ? does any body no how many calfs umquali (unsure of spelling) has had thanks. This is also a great sucsess due to the high amount of males that have been born also Hamilton has had sucsess with there rhinos also breeding a female good job guys.

14. jay

I've got the details at home but am away at the moment. If I remember I can let you know in a coupe of days

15. Animalgeek

ok that would be awsome thanks heaps

16. jones

jones Well-Known Member

"Umqali" has had four calves to my knowledge:

(f) "Azizi" b. 03/2003 Dubbo (Sire: WILD) deceased 03/2012
    (m) "Kei" b. 02/2006 Dubbo (Sire: Khulu) now at Australia Zoo
    (f) "Nadira" b. 04/2008 Dubbo (Sire: Umfana)
    (m) "Digger" b. 04/2011 Monarto (Sire: Khulu) concieved at Dubbo

17. Animalgeek

ok thanks heaps so she hasnt breed at monarto yet she has only given birth at monarto right

18. jay

correct. hey are you interested in Hamiltons lot, they have been very successful

19. Animalgeek

Yes I no I visited yesterday loved the rhinos thye now have 7 sutch a neet heard also the most recent baby born to Moesha has been named Jamila. The only thing i dont no is Moeshas Kitos and Krugers birth date. If you can help with that that will be awsome but doesnt matter if u dont no. I no 2 of them were wild born so might be tricky finding that out.

cheers

20. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Hi Animalgeek. I'm not the spelling police or anything, but I have found your posts to be difficult to read at times, as you say "no" when I suspect that you really mean "know". Also, when you type your posts, doesn't the browser (or website?) have a built-in spell check that underlines words that are misspelled? Although it will not detect "heard" as an error when you clearly mean "herd", it will assist you with "sutch" and "neet".

I am guessing that you might be relatively young, so a word of advice: if you want to improve your formal writing skills (like for school assignments or job applications) then casual fora (forums?) like these are a great place to practice. I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

Rajang-GOAT likes this.