Join our zoo community

White Tiger Facts

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by ZoologicallyDepraved, 29 Mar 2023.

1. ZoologicallyDepraved

ZoologicallyDepraved Well-Known Member

Very interesting website about the history of white tigers, though it does contain some personal opinions on conservation value. I learned some things that I had not previously known.

(By linking this website I am not condemning nor promoting the breeding of white tigers.)

White Tiger Information Center

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This website is utter bullsh*t, claims like this disqualify it immediately:

The Royal White Tiger is one of the most valuable conservation tools that zoos and theme parks have in their education arsenal on the visitor level today.

How on earth would an inbred hybrid mutation be a great conservation tool when they have 0 conservation value...

3. ZoologicallyDepraved

That did raise my eyebrows. They do address the inbreeding issue, however I don't know how accurate it is as they're active advocates FOR this type of breeding.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nearly everything on there is entirely BS and/or manipulated. A lot of it is the same nonsense shared by the Tiger King, etc crowd (there was a lot of this stuff on the Wynnewood website, some of it may even be copy/pasted from it). These are not "facts".

5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh, lord, this website is ridiculous. Which roadside zoo operator made this? Plenty of zoos get by just fine without having white tigers. It's not like orange tigers are any less spectacular to look at.

6. ZoologicallyDepraved

I honestly prefer looking at orange tigers more for the same reason I like more naturalistic zoo enclosures. Man-made things just aren't to my taste typically.

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

White tigers were ruined for me when I learned about the heavy inbreeding. But I've also developed more preference for the natural. Orange is nice and vibrant anyway. Especially when you see a Sumatran tiger in person! Gorgeous!

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

White Tigers aren't man-made. They are a naturally occurring color morph that has been in-bred by humans.

9. ZoologicallyDepraved

This is correct, my bad.