Join our zoo community

Who Coordinates the Asian & African Elephant Studbooks?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Elephant Enthusiast, 13 Mar 2018.

1. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Even though the question is in the title, there are additional questions regarding the authors of the studbooks and the publication of updated studbooks.

The author of the 2014 Asian Elephant Studbook is Mike Keele, the former Oregon Zoo Deputy Director and a leading elephant expert. With the retirement of Mike Keele in June of 2013, the Asian Elephant Studbook appears to have no current coordinator.

In light of this information, does the Asian Elephant Studbook have a coordinator?
    If the studbook doesn’t have a coordinator, then who manages the studbook?
    If the studbook is not managed, then is that the reason why the Asian elephant population is lacking in reproduction?

The author of the 2011 African Elephant Studbook is Deborah Olson, Executive Director of the International Elephant Foundation. With the last publication of the African Elephant Studbook being in 2011, the African Elephant Studbook appears to be on hiatus.

In light of this information, is the African Elephant Studbook still managed by Deborah Olson?
    If the studbook is no longer overseen by Deborah Olson, then who manages the studbook?
    If the studbook is not managed, then is that the reason why the African elephant population is lacking in reproduction?

Because the Asian Elephant Studbook hasn’t been updated since 2014 and the African Elephant Studbook hasn’t been updated since 2011, that questions when the current studbooks will be published.

Is there any information regarding the publication of updated studbooks for the Asian and African elephant population?

Evidently, the content I have posted to ZooChat demonstrates my commitment to the reproduction and sustainability of the Asian elephant population. Even though my content hasn’t discussed the African elephant population, my passion for the Asian and African elephant are quite strong which is why I’m inquiring about the studbooks. Ultimately, any information regarding the authors of the studbooks and publication of updated studbooks would be greatly appreciated.

Sources:
    Asian Elephant Studbook - Elephant TAG
    African Elephant Studbook - Elephant TAG
    Oregon Zoo's Mike Keele, a leading elephant expert, retires after nearly 42 years
    Board of Directors – International Elephant Foundation

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can fully assure you management for both species has not slacked off to any extent. The studbook and actual SSP recommendations do not necessarily operate in tandem, especially as studbooks are generally only published every 3-5 years, if that. Regardless of that, the elephant programs are two of the most heavily invested animal programs in the AZA.

The issues tends to come more from actual facility management much more so than SSP recommendations or studbook holders (who don't actually have anything to do with management or recommendations).

As someone who is actually working with Asian elephants, I can not say that I agree with most facilities current low set breeding initiatives, however I also cringe hard at the recommendation you propose as well. It is totally un-fesable and down right stupid to start flinging elephants from facility to facility based on making certain fantasy pairings based on subjective opinions. The biggest issue we are facing ultimately comes down to individual facilities and what they choose to do with their animals, as the SSP can only recommend, and ultimately that's what we are forced to work with.

3. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also to answer your question, both studbooks have current holders, and always have. As soon as someone steps down there is someone right there to step up in their place.

4. Elephant Enthusiast

Thank you Hyak_II for answering my questions and I greatly appreciate your perspective on the captive population of Asian and African elephants.

Would you by any chance know when the next studbooks will be published for both the Asian and African elephant?

I fully agree with your opinion that transferring elephants from facility to facility based on amateur recommendations is improper. The recommendations I suggested are audacious and I had no intention of them being treated with complete legitimacy. Since August of 2016, I have been doing independent research on the captive population of Asian and African elephants and since December of 2017, I have been evaluating the reproductive potential on the captive population of Asian elephants based on my independent research. I understand that my research has no influence on the studbooks, the SSP recommendations, and the institutions but my passion for these creatures are so strong that I am willing to assist in any way possible.

If my understanding of situation is correct, the facilities and the SSP understand that the captive population of Asian and African elephants need to reproduce to be sustainable but because the facilities maintain the individuals, the facilities can accept or deny the recommendations of the SSP which I find rather interesting. Personally, from the perspective of the SSP that makes the facilities appear selfish. Ultimately, if this is the case, the facilities should evaluate and determine whether their programs are benefiting the elephants or themselves.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Elephant Enthusiast