Join our zoo community

Who has a Flickr account?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by mstickmanp, 22 Sep 2008.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new structure is devastating to most users. I met most of my closest friends on flickr years ago and all of us aren't sure what we're going to do. We want to keep the memories but $50 is a lot. They should have at least spent a few years working it down from 1tb to 1,000 images. I have about 7,000, with 4,200 visible, and I have ~1,000 or so images that I need to get developed (I use film).
    wakethesun.

Kakapo likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At least they announce their transition, unlike the joke photobucket pulled its users a few years ago....

3. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have a Flickr account, which I use for another side of my photography hobby. I was thinking about whether to start sharing images of other themes when they dropped the changes in T's&C's. It has stopped me in my tracks somewhat.

I have about 6000 images on there, all edited, so using around 1% of the allocated TB storage. If this was about reducing the storage given to free accounts the restriction would be applied to the amount of storage an account uses, not the number of images. So, the dishonesty riles me a little.

I can see that the business model they had was unsustainable, and they've been acquired, but this is a very cack handed way of doing it.

Ironically, I took the plunge and joined Flickr after years of using Photobucket, when they did a very similar thing. Tellingly, my old Photobucket account reappeared not so long ago.

In the grand scheme of things, $50 Flickr are asking for isn't a great deal of money, so I will probably subscribe, but the benefits of a pro account are of no real value, and it does make me wonder where the whole thing will go in future.

4. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I use Flickr since several years now and upload primarily photos of more or less rare species in captivity or highly endangered species in the wild.
    My flickr-name is: Delacouri

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, the mythical Delacouri! We are Flickr contacts since ages :) (I'm Bárbol)

Eagle likes this.
  6. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have just recently set up a Flickr with the purpose of having an online portfolio of my best and favorite photos I've taken over the years in a place where I can upload the pictures in their original size. Flickr has an unfortunate limit but for the time being it will work out for me. I have only uploaded a small set so far and have yet to find the time and and energy to add more.

Kevin Boeckxstaens

7. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I've reduced my collection to threatened mammals now

MyDM

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I also have a Flickr account. I don't know why I still have one since it was originally a repository so I could imbed things into message boards (and that board is dead). So right now it's a mishmash of stuff swiped from the 'net, travel photos, and the animals I've come across.

9. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know, we exchanged our account names in 2011! (nearly ages ago :D)
    Sometimes the internet is much smaller than it appears. It's always interesting to stumble over the same people on different pages with related topics :)

10. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

11. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a Flickr account also. It has many zoo photos on it, along with other wildlife I find. My user name is Glaucidium1 and a link to my pictures is Dan Zimberlin

12. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

Totally forgot about it but a while ago I made the Flickr group "ZooChatters" with the following description: "A group for the people who also use the forum ZooChat.com to upload their photos and talk. In this Flickr group, you can upload your photos you have been taking at different zoos around the world."

If any of you all want to join and put your photos there you are welcome! Always fun with ZooChatters together on other platforms as well!
    ZooChatters (ZooChat.com)

TinoPup likes this.
  13. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a link to another thread that as quite a few peoples sites on -
    Your photos site