Join our zoo community

Franklin Park Zoo Why doesn't Boston have a better zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Shirokuma, 31 Jul 2015.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this - an interesting and well-written article. The amounts of money that are available to other cultural institutions - art galleries, museums and so on - are simply eye-watering, in comparison to the money that zoos can access.

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Fascinating article, I know you can;t be first in everything but the amount of attention the zoo gets is paltry compared to that of the (though admittedly awesome) other types of institutions in Boston. That needs to change.

4. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Must. Resist. From. Commenting. Ugh! I just can't. Few things. Money is there to be gifts/grants/donations. As seen by the MOS and MoFA nearly 3/4 billion dollar haulings. Other institutions get donations. The stigma surrounding Franklin Park's location still hangs heavy on the minds. The area is much better than what people think. Fairly easy access of routes I-93 and I-95. The lack of public transportation to the Zoos front door. There is access via train, but it is still a decent walk. Again, playing into the stigma of the area. Parking is a huge issue. There is very little. The Zoo shares space with youth athletic complex, golf course and a decent sized lot. The decent sized lot is on the side of the Zoo boundary fence and requires walking to get to the entrance. Not far at all. The Children's Zoo renovation. They are removing fifty or so species and replacing them with eight or nine? There have already been cuts to the species that were supposed to be there. I'd be surprised if when completed the animals exhibits were NARO, Red Panda, Prairie Dog and Two-toed Sloth. The rest of the area will consist of eagle nest slides, grass mazes, flower fields, nature play with sticks and bamboo climbers. They're really pushing for classrooms with the pavillion idea. The pavillion will house the Sloth, classrooms and off-show holding area for education animals and NARO. There's also a lawn area for shows/presentations. Nice way to spend six point six million dollars. “Billy, how was the new Children's Zoo Natures Neighborhood? Billy: It was good. I liked the slide. How were the new animals, Billy? Billy: I liked the slides and they bad a bunch of tv's. Were there animals, Billy? Billy: I saw some animal sleeping. And I made this cool fort with sticks. Ok, Billy. Sounds like you learned about animals. Billy: No. But they had a big playground." Something along those lines will happen. As Nature's Neighborhood (Toledo rip-off?) will probably fail. The Children's area while expansive including playground, farm and renovation is large in size, it lacks animals. I can think of better ways to spend the money as when winter is here, most all animals are locked away. Everyone wants to see the Giraffes. That is impossible as the barn consists of holding stalls and no public access. Winter is tough as the Zoo is spread out to the corners. There is a long path that dissects the Zoo. In one corner is the Childrens area across from there, Lions, Tiger and Camel. The middle of the Zoo is long and empty due to seasonal exhibits and the large giraffe exhibit being empty. The only other areas are the Tropical Forest and across from that Bird's World and the Condors. The middle of the Zoo is empty. In the cold, that is a long hike with wind in your face or at your back. Surely a Giraffe Barn with visitor access would be welcomed. If they had done White Rhino like originally planned with Giraffe and Grevy's, maybe it would help break up the trek? Rhino was nixed due to holding barn costs. Things could be better if money was spent right. The old Hooves and Horns area needs some fixing, but there's over ten acres of paddocks. Maybe polish the barns and add winter hardy animals. It all boils down to $$$$. Someone isn't planning or executing things correctly. Should start there. The animal staff are some of the best. Dedication, passion and tenure prove that. There's no issue that stops them from making their animals happy and content. Issues lie elsewhere. I won't talk about Stone Zoo. I get emotional as it has a special place in my heart. I don't want to go off and look crazy like some Cincy fans. Oh, well.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What are some of the species that they are removing to make room for the new children's zoo?

What species were supposed to be in the new children's zoo that have been cut out of the plans?

With the hoof stock space available it seems kind of odd that they haven't made rhinos a priority. Is that because they need to build a really heavy duty heated barn or something like that?

6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Public transportation to get to the zoo isn't that bad, or is it considered burdensome to have to walk a block to get to the actual entrance?

I wish they would repaint the "Birds World" exhibit, the place is a lovely piece of architecture but it looks a mite shabby. The whole corner of the zoo looks dreary and its a shame because it really is a nice building.

Am I the only one here who's seen and enjoyed the recent renovations to the MFA? If only we could do something of that order of magnitude for the zoo.

7. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Amur Leopard, Coyote, various waterfowl, macaw, parrot, cockatoo, frogs of all species, turtles, tortoises, colubrids, constrictors and pythons and invertebrates. Some small mammals.

Walk-thru Sea Duck/Bird aviary of various species, Bald Eagles, various pond and wetland animals. Various reptiles and amphibians. Various supporting cast animals to the prairie, bamboo, south and north american areas.

The existings barns are old. Some nearly eighty years, some longer like the antelope house. For any of the rhino would need a large barn, reinforced and heated. Boston construction is booming. Most construction outfits are union and materials are expensive. The old fencing is just that, chain-link. Rhino would need better containment. Walls or cable strung through poles like the Giraffe/Grevy's yard. There's a mixed area called Serengeti Crossing. Roughly four acres with plain's zebra, wildebeest and ostrich, but the numbers are small. So they get lost in the large area. There's also a warthog/porcupine exhibit separate but with layered viewing into the crossing.

Bird's World was painted not long ago. Still has the Asian theme and the roof and skylights replaced. Inside, the containment in areas was replaced and murals freshened up. There were also additional murals added throughout the building. The male and female Kiwi are nice additions. Male usually hides, but they have a camera mounted in his hide. Female is brave, but in a darkened area, must have patience to see them. The chilean flamingo pit is atrocious! The jewel of Bird's World is the flight cage. There's a new male condor, Humphrey. Inti, the female is curious and will land on the covered walk-way. Watch for droppings. With the nicer weather, the tapir are outdoors. Mom and daughter make use of the shady exhibit and pools. While Dad is indoors. The hyena are fun. The younger male is active while the older male does his own thing and lays in the heated/cooled cave. On occasion, I have seen them tussling over reindeer antlers. Nice enrichment.