Join our zoo community

why

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moo cow, 2 Apr 2015.

Tags:
  1. moo cow

moo cow New Member

Why is it soooo hard to get into the industry. Any tips pls. Having no luck with work placement, (I can't even give up my time). I'm so passionate about this but no one will give me a chance. I'm such a great student/worker but I keep getting knocked back. I will never give up, I want it to be more than just a dream but how much rejection can a person take before they crack it and give up

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

your post is a bit all over the place, but I assume you are talking about wanting a zoo job?

Zoo jobs have many applicants. Many many applicants. Just being passionate about animals isn't really enough to beat out those with actual experience and qualifications.

Assuming you don't have any experience - and I can't tell one way or the other from what you have posted - you should think about volunteering somewhere. For a basic qualification there are wild animal management courses available, but you do need to pay for them. Either way you need time.

3. moo cow

moo cow New Member

!

I'm trying to volunteer but always get a 'no' . I understand that there are a lot of applicants for positions and its not the first time I've applied for volunteer positions ( I want to study captive animals). How am I supposed to get experience when nobody will take me on and give me the opportunity to show them how much I want this. And if u ain't got the work placement you can't do the course. And its frustrating when all they tell u is " due to the high number of applicants you have not been accepted this time for our volunteer program " , give me an honest reason/opinion for f**k sake.

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where have you applied? Just Taronga? They will get by far the most applicants and you'll need to expand your search. Write to Featherdale, Australian Reptile Park, Symbio or wherever else you can get to. Find a wildlife rehab centre (there should be several surrounding Sydney) and volunteer there.

5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

If I were doing the hiring, I would take one look at this post and say no. Nowadays, keepers must be able to communicate in an intelligent and thoughtful way.

6. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So if I'm correct you have no degree yet and no previous work/volunteer experience in zoos? You should realise that a lot of your fellow candidates have volunteer-experience and many of them will have a degree in biology or animal management. So why should zoos pick you if they can pick those people? Like CGSwans says try the small places and the rehab centers. Or try to volunteer for any conservation-programmes. Some of those do need people.

Also if you want to study captive animals, make sure you get your education right. The good educational programmes have their contacts with zoos and have places for their students to do internships.

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I agree with what has already been said:
    1. Recognizing that there may be others more qualified than you going for the best positions, go after the less attractive positions
    2. Work on changing your attitude. No one owes you a position. These facilities are not being run to see to it that MooCow gets all that s/he wants out of life. That's your job. Your attitude may be showing in your applications and it will work against you

8. Lyrebird

Lyrebird Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    are you in Australia or Italy?
    Which TAFE are you applying for? The few TAFE's that run Captive Animals Cert 3 around the Sydney area deliver it in different formats and durations (eg.Richmond Face2Face or Online 18 months, Ultimo 12 months- 1 night a week etc.). The TAFE you choose to go with can increase your chances of paid work within the industry depending on the teachers contacts and resources. Different TAFE's might have a reputation for developing better students that are workplace ready, and influence the volunteer application process.
    Start off volunteering somewhere small that could use volunteers to get your foot in the door. Work hard in class, show the teachers what you can do and they might recommend you to somewhere better to advance your career. Best way into paid work in a small zoo is through the volunteer program.
    Hope this helps.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

she is in Sydney. I am curious as to why she has now changed her location to Italy!!

10. tdierikx

tdierikx Well-Known Member

I've been knocked back by Symbio and Taronga - I at least got an interview at Taronga, but there were a LOT of applicants...

I have been accepted by Featherdale in their next round of volunteer inductions/placements... woot!!

Keep trying... and get yourself enrolled in the TAFE course you need... that will go a long way towards securing a volunteer position.

T.