Join our zoo community

Wild futures/monkey sanctuary

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by monkeyarmy, 31 May 2015.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The possible conclusion: very spoiled monkeys or improvable work organisation efficiency.;)

I wonder whether for some of the (potential) participants, volunteering there and in similar institutions is a bit like a methadone program for junkies: not being able/willing to fulfill their innermost wish to have a pet monkey/tiger etc. and yet still wanting to experience said critters, they choose the next best thing. A better solution for both human and animal?

2. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And still the debate rages on and on and on and on and on

3. Batto

Like a hot buttered a pop da pop da pop...:p
    (Sugar Hill Gang, Rapper's Delight, 1979)

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

This is so entertaining....let the debate continue. :D

5. garyjp

Lets have a stir up then with this one !
    Monkey Army - i certainly don't know if your opinions are sincere or you have just been misunderstood( and some up themselves members have given you a hard time unecessarily so) but if you are an anti zoo person I would give you a lot of respect if you created a new post and asked Should zoos exist ? and put the case forward, because that subject might be worth dealing with.
    As for wild futures - seems a bit misleading in the title as none of their monkeys are going back .

6. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

I hadn't realised there was a recent birth. This is very significant - the first female to be born for many, many years. Given the only female in the group is well into adulthood and has not previously bred, but is rearing the infant, this is even more remarkable. The tone of the news on their site regarding this suggests they are delighted with this 'happy accident' and, in terms of evolving policy, perhaps the effect on the group of once again having a new generation may allow the case to be made for limited breeding once more.

I don't imagine, if the group did dwindle to just a couple of individuals, that Wild Futures would not take the decision to allow them to join a larger group elsewhere. There would be a point where the group size/dynamic would require a rethink, rather than letting numbers dwindle to the last monkey.

7. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

Volunteer The Monkey Sanctuary, Cornwall they only have 10 volunteers at a time. As it's a sanctuary not a zoo the monkeys arrive in I'll health both psychologically and physically so they need much more attention than a healthy monkey, for example many of the monkeys arrive with diabetes due to poor diet while kept as pets, so the normal task of feeding is more complex. But even if there weren't these issues what is wrong with having 'spoilt' monkeys? I genuinely can't see what the objection is?

I'm more than happy to create such thread forward but don't expect a debate it will be more illogical responses like comparing humans keeping animals in zoos to slave making ants. Don't feel bad for people's responses they have no intelligent come back so they have to make themselves feel better.

I do agree the name isn't the best

8. monkeyarmy

I know they sent a patas monkey to monkey world to have company of her own kind so they have in the rehomed but if they would with a woolly due to monkey world breeding woolies I don't know. Again the people to ask are wild futures I'm sure they have thought about it

9. Batto

Once again: having to resort to insults only highlights the shortcoming of your argumentation.
    I'd be interested to see you create such a thread (and promise to keep my illogical and unintelligent remarks to myself) if you can manage to refrain from ideological buzzwords, keep it civil and base your opinion on factual evidence.

Otherwise, good luck "spoiling" ;) poor monkeys. And use some antifungal medication for your toe before dealing with potentially immunodeficient primates.

10. monkeyarmy

Well it's true isn't it is very clear that animals using others in the way slave ants do is a completely different type of captivity to humans keeping zoos and deciding if they can breed. The main difference being we (humans) have the cognitive ability to understand the implications of keeping animals captive; all the slave makers know is they need labor and there's others the can do it.

I'll have fun thanks spoiling the monkeys or just providing a decent standard of living for them, not sure why that's something to ridicule I don't know but it takes all sorts I suppose

11. garyjp

start the thread and put your case forward in what you believe in - you might be surprised

12. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

No, please don't. The sort of tedious, ill thought-out, badly written, hackneyed arguments being put forward by this person - who, alas, does not appear to be the elaborate hoax I had originally thought her / him to be him, but is instead a real human being - have been rehearsed time and again. There are people out there who have a very different attitude towards keeping animals in captivity to that which I hold (and which most people here hold). I know that. But, just as I can never understand the fans of rival clubs who feel the need to 'troll' the forums of the football team that I support, I do not see what you - @monkeyarmy - are doing here. On a forum that is essentially pro- the keeping of animals in captivity.

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For the record, either this one or the one they had already has since died, as MW only have one again now( or did last year).

14. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whether a charity makes a (small) surplus or deficit in any particular year isn't that big an issue in the big scheme of things -especially when they have £140k in the bank.

Looking at the charity accounts I notice that none of the "resources expended" (monies spent) on charitable activities seems to flow "out" of the organisation (although some of the rather vague "support costs" may do so)

It would be easy to conclude the place is basically a glorified private collection, open to the public (I know that's an oxymoron) to enable it to continue.

That's not to say the place isn't well meaning, if a little high-minded, or that it doesn't form a useful function but financially there's not that much difference between it and a small privately owned zoo.

15. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

I find the anti captivity brigade funny. "We should get the orcas out of seaworld because they are intelligent creatures being forced to do uneducational shows" Who broke the killer stereotype and showed they were intelligent ? Seaworld

~ Thaumatibis

Birdsage likes this.
  16. monkeyarmy

Yes Sammy Jo died of old age, she was old when she was sent to monkey world, mutza the remaining patas struck up an unusual friendship with a ring-tailed lemur who wasn't getting on with the other lemurs.

I'm at work currently so will post a thread when I get home and can reference properly.

We learnt how to mass produce coca and coffee beans via slavery, should we bring slavery back to see what else we can learn? If you start saying the end justifies the means you start off on a dangerous track with nearly anything being justified.

Well if it is just a private collection you'd think they would pick healthy examples of monkeys to make it easier for themselves. Saying it's a private collection is like saying the RSPCA is just a mad cat lady hoarding animals.

17. monkeyarmy

An animals intelligence, which is a flawed concept seeing as an animals intelligence or lack of is judged on how close to a humans its cognitive abilities are, is irrelevant to me thickies deserve to be free just as much as a perceived clever clogs.

18. garyjp

I think thats a silly arguement about slavery because if you want to take that debate further one could argue we are all born into slavery its called the tax system

19. monkeyarmy

Not sure paying tax which is used to provide public services like the nhs is quite the same as having your freedom taken from you, forced to work for nothing, having no rights, being bought and sold like meat and beaten/killed. Tax is also avoidable just ask Jimmy Carr.

Right home just collating my argument then you can be amazed by the logic

20. garyjp

As I said i was taking it a step furher but yes we are born into a form of slavery - slavery to the state to pay for public services some that we may not agree to, and actually we have a limited freedom and democracy if you like . In fact in real terms we work for just under half the time for nothing as it goes to thec state. Our rights are limited by laws as daily they are being eroded.Everybody pays in the end even Jimmy Carr they will always get you.
    I look forward to the start of the new thread !