Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Wild Indonesia Development

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooBoyNZ, 25 Apr 2017.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not yet, but the zoo has recently been given permission from MPI to import them:

“New rules will allow live crocodiles and eggs to be imported from the EU, Asia and the Pacific. The zoo industry has asked the Ministry for Primary Industries to let it bring in the animals, with Auckland Zoo building a new $50 million southeast Asian attraction due to open this year.

Previously, only crocodiles from Australia were allowed but that's being expanded to include the European Union, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and Thailand.”

Zoo attraction: NZ opens door to more crocodile imports

It’ll be interesting to see what zoo/zoos they come from. The article further notes:

“The crocodiles and eggs must come from animals hatched and raised in captivity.”

Zoo Negara in Malaysia has had success in breeding them; as has Crocodiles of the World in England, so these are two possible sources.

2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats really good news for NZ!

3. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

I hope Auckland Zoo gets a breeding pair of Sunda Gharial. I'm surprised they've never got a Saltwater Crocodile as their Australia area is kind of boring.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The application they made was for importing one individual.

5. Zoofan15

Reptile Species

I was looking online and came across this application (signed 08/09/2017):

https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/File...PP203434-APP203434-Application-form-FINAL.pdf

The reptile species Auckland Zoo wanted to import were:

False gharial
    Southern river terrapin
    Northern river terrapin
    Painted terrapin
    Amboina box turtle
    Giant Asian pond turtle
    Spiny turtle
    Sulawesi forest turtle
    Malaysian giant turtle
    Asian forest turtle

“The proposed new facilities for these species at the Zoo is a state of the art controlled- climate tropical house as above. Large turtle species and the tortoises will occupy the same space as the tomistoma.

Smaller turtle species and/or juveniles of any chelonian, will be housed in smaller, self- contained, open-topped, land/water enclosures within the tropical house formed from solid barriers at the terrestrial interface and acrylic barriers at the aquatic interface.”

Jambo, Tafin and nczoofan like this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you think the Auckland zoo Australia area is boring, you would be shocked to know it is better than most Australian areas in European zoos.

StoppableSan and Tafin like this.
  7. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Did it say what zoo it was coming from?

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And, even a few Australian Zoos!

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

After delaying the official opening of the first stage due to COVID-19, Auckland Zoo has now announced that the High Canopy Habitat for their orangutans and siamangs is now open to the public. From their Facebook page:
    More information on their website: Auckland to South East Asia – no passport required! | Auckland Zoo News

Jambo, Antoine, ZooBoyNZ and 3 others like this.
  11. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

So, I went to see the South East Asia Jungle Track yesterday and I took some photos to be able to show you guys how it looks. It's slightly smaller than I expected and we don't see an indoor area anymore with the best we have being a shelter area for the orangutans and siamangs. Also, the siamang area look larger than the orangs for some odd reason. I apologise that I didn't take the best photos to capture how everything looks but I hope these help a bit in seeing the place in conjunction with all the videos published by news outlets, etc for those who can't go and see it.

12. Zoofan15

South East Asia Jungle Track Review

I visited Auckland Zoo this weekend and can honestly say the South East Asia precinct exceeded all expectations.

Seeing the orangutans, especially Charlie (adult male Bornean orangutan) swing across the ropes and climbing structures was such a thrill. All three orangutans were constantly on the go each time I visited their exhibit (I went back three times during my visit); and it was such a contrast to the lethargic lifestyle they seemed to lead in the old orangutan exhibit (1987-2017).

My concern from the initial press coverage was that there was little cover for the apes during inclement weather (which would lead to them staying inside). In reality, there are several overhead panels adjoining the night house and viewing shelter. It rained at one point during my visit and the orangutans flocked to the undercover area, right by the viewing window. Seeing them less than a metre away at eye level was incredible.

It’s reasonable to assume their activity can be attributed to the novelty of a new exhibit; but as that starts to wear off, the zoo plans to have the towers connected up. This will allow them to traverse the zoo from 20 metres above the ground. These towers were immense and dominated the zoo’s skyline. I’m especially excited about the towers going across the lake.

The Siamang exhibit was spacious and well planted. They too had adequate shelter adjacent to the viewing window. I liked how their exhibit encorporated the walls of the old orangutan exhibit (1987-2017).

The new Sumatran tiger exhibit is starting to take shape, with fencing poles starting to go up.

They’ve also started working on the visitor entrance to this exhibit.

The tropical dome is also coming along nicely. I can’t wait to see the False gharial take residence, which the staff said will be next year.

The cafe is now open and I was astounded by the architecture of this building. It reminded me of the Casson Pavilion at London Zoo.

My only criticism was the pathway or ‘jungle track.’ Clearly somebody thought they were being clever here by designing something reminiscent of a rainforest; but the result was a chalky paste you need gumboots to trench through. Leave the New Balance at home, lads.

Note: I’ve uploaded more photos in the gallery.

13. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are the Tiger's still likely to be in place this year or has the pandemic pushed there exhibit back to 2021?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Zoofan15

I asked a keeper and was told the tigers will be arriving next year due to the pandemic; though looking at the progress made on exhibit, I expect that will be completed (albeit with no tigers to fill it) later this year. Last he heard, the new tigers were coming from the USA.

I will post a full news update tomorrow (I found out lots of info from the keepers and volunteers). :)

15. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great review, thank you @Zoofan15.
    I checked the exhibit out for myself on Monday and was impressed by the new enclosures - orangutans were very active and seemed to be enjoying using their new space. Will be amazing when the ariel pathways are open to see them above the visitor path and over the lake.

Personally was not a fan of the exterior design of the cafe - I feel like all the exposed brick work doesn’t suit the area at all and sticks out like a sore thumb... but not a big deal I guess. Also the “tiger exhibit visitor entrance” @Zoofan15 mentioned is actually a new entrance to the Australian walkthrough because the old one and part of the walkthrough path has been removed to make way for the new tiger exhibit. :D

Jambo, ZooNZ and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Zoofan15

Orangutan Plans

When I visited the zoo this weekend, one of the first questions I had was when are the Sumatran orangutans arriving?

To my amazement, I was told by a keeper that they won’t be acquiring Sumatran orangutans anymore; as the plan is to go back into Bornean orangutans. She said the reason for this change is that since the decision was made to switch to holding the crtitically endangered Sumatran orangutan; the Bornean orangutan has also become critically endangered.

She mentioned that Charlie and Melur are a viable breeding pair (Charlie is not vasectomised, as has been reported on here) and that while Melur is still on contraception from her stay at Orana Wildlife Park, the plan is to breed from Melur again.

I asked if there would be any further Bornean orangutan imports and was told that while none are planned in the short term; with Melur aged 32, imports will be needed to sustain the colony long term.

I have to say this change of direction has taken me by complete surprise, especially considering Auckland Zoo exported 2.1 reproductive age Bornean orangutan to the USA as recently as 2015. The conservation status of Bornean orangutan was updated to critically endangered a year later, in 2016.

The zoo last mentioned plans to acquire Sumatran orangutan in 2017. Any mention of this in the South East Asia FAQ has since been removed from their website.

17. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What a surprise! I hadn't heard about Bornean orangutans now being critically endangered, that's so disappointing. Would there not be enough room to hold both subspecies?

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

Yeah, apparently the wild population is almost half what it used to be in the year 2000. The decision to phase out the Borneans at Auckland Zoo first came about in the mid-2000’s.

I believe the idea behind the new precinct is that the configurations can be swapped around. The Bornean orangutan and Siamang can swap exhibits (and there has even been suggestion they could cohabit like they would in the wild); as well as options for the aerial pathways. Right now, there is only one orangutan exhibit - so holding a breeding pair of Sumatran orangutan would require the configurations to be routed so that at least the two males wouldn’t come in contact. From a management perspective, it’s probably simpler to stick with one species that can live cohesively as one population.

That said, when the aerial pathways are all linked up; I hope they give consideration to importing more female Borneans to create a decent sized colony, so that the precinct is a hive of activity and there is something to see across every part of it.

19. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some of this sounds wonderful, but one thing stands out a mile. Even with the overall lack of exotic bird species in New Zealand, there appears to be no attempt to include even analogue species in the exhibit complex. Puzzled.

20. ZooBoyNZ

ZooBoyNZ Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had the same thoughts walking through the new exhibit earlier this week. The visitor path goes behind the orangutan exhibit and on the way to the glass viewing windows at the other end, there isn’t much to look at apart from a heavily planted (but empty) fenced off space. A lot of visitors were looking down in there trying to spot animals of some kind even though there was no signage suggesting there was actually anything in there. :rolleyes:

I feel like this was a missed opportunity and space to include some sort of smaller mammal/reptile species or aviary however hopefully this is something that could be implemented in the future. I remember some of the earlier South East Asia exhibit plans suggested a bird aviary for this area, even though species to hold in it are well... limited.